Mack no

Jim Clark

Its nice to own vehicles with winches and wrecking gear but its also nice to be able to use them now and again.Last Thursday a local farmer had an unfortunate experiance when his tractor and trailer rolled down a steep hill and crashed into the back of one of his sheds.

tractorrecovery003.jpg

Another farmer tried to recover the vehicles but failed so we were called to see what we could do. I went and looked at the situation and decided the Mack would be just the answer.

After pulling the trailer clear first we then attached the winch rope to the rear of the tractor and gently pulled it up and back onto level ground.

tractorrecovery001.jpg

tractorrecovery004.jpg

tractorrecovery006.jpg

tractorrecovery010.jpg

tractorrecovery011.jpg

tractorrecovery012.jpg

With the Mack you use the main gearbox to power the winch giving you 5 forward speeds and 1 reverse. I just used first gear and with the engine on tickover the job was a piece of cake for the Mack

The damage to the tractor was just tin work and fortunately the farmer wasnt on it when it rolled away.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Clark

Andy yes it is lovely around here and yes the farmer was lucky. Actualy he did gash his arm trying to stop it running away, it could have been much worse.

The pictures dont really show how steep the hill is and how far the tractor had gone down into the gap between the back of the shed and the hillside.

Jim.

• 4 months later...

Welkom Harm,glad to have the company of a "real mans truck" owner/driver. What diesel engine does your Mack have in it? I have a Cummins L10 ready to drop into mine in the next few weeks. I intend to swap the engines when I remove the cab to restore it back to original .

Jim.

Welkom Harm,glad to have the company of a "real mans truck" owner/driver. .

Ha ha yes very funny. Now be serious please - wouldn't want anyone getting the idea that those old Macks were a man's truck.

Not everyone is lucky enough to own the real thing :writing:

What was the original engine Jim???

Hi Neil, the original is a Mack EY military spec, 11 litre, 6 cylinder petrol engine. It produces about 160 bhp and does about 3 mpg and its a bit guttless for it size.

I took the truck to Ramsbury "Route to Victory" last year, a round trip of about 140 miles and put in £300 worth of fuel this convinced me to sacrifice a bit of originality for better fuel consumption. The Cummins is vertually the same physical size and produces 290 bhp and should return 10-12 mpg. The bellhousing is an SAE size so mates up with the Mack gearbox, which makes it an easy conversion.I will post some pictures and details when I am doing it.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Clark

Hi Neil, the original is a Mack EY military spec, 11 litre, 6 cylinder petrol engine. It produces about 160 bhp and does about 3 mpg and its a bit guttless for it size.

I took the truck to Ramsbury "Route to Victory" last year, a round trip of about 140 miles and put in £300 worth of fuel this convinced me to sacrifice a bit of originality for better fuel consumption. The Cummins is vertually the same physical size and produces 290 bhp and should return 10-12 mpg. The bellhousing is an SAE size so mates up with the Mack gearbox, which makes it an easy conversion.I will post some pictures and details when I am doing it.

Jim.

Thanks Jim - yet again something I can look forwards to seeing one day - W&P this year maybe??

If I can ever manage to find another job the Mack is one I wouldn't mind investing in - should another ever come up - as I guess DUKW's are going to be out of my league!! :)

Will the transmission stand up to the extra power Jim and what are the torque figures for the 2 engines?

the power output for the Mack engine is 160 hp at 2100 rpm and 550 lb/ft torque at 750rpm.

I am not sure but I think I read somewhere but cant find it at the moment the Cummins L10 is 290 hp at 2100 rpm and 900 lb/ft torque at 1600rpm. If anyone knows different please correct me.

Although the output is almost double I think the transmission should stand up to it as I am sure it was designed to cope with more than the original engine could put out.

Jim.

Ha ha yes very funny. Now be serious please - wouldn't want anyone getting the idea that those old Macks were a man's truck.

Not everyone is lucky enough to own the real thing :writing:

Sounds like Jack is still looking out for a Scammell so that he can tow his GMC to shows :evil:

Welkom Harm,glad to have the company of a "real mans truck" owner/driver. What diesel engine does your Mack have in it? I have a Cummins L10 ready to drop into mine in the next few weeks. I intend to swap the engines when I remove the cab to restore it back to original .

Jim.

we have a cummins in it don't now witch type but i think the same as you have. beleve the britsh army build it in

wish it was mine I just maintane and drive it

our m5 high speed tractor and corbitt ware also at Santa Fe

Yeah seen those too, fantastic machines!! Since we have already hijacked this thread, can I invite you and your group to our 2010 event Liberty Force?