Military Fire Appliances Gallery

AndyFowler

• 3 weeks later...

top shot the left hand Vehicle is an ex RAF Bedford Miles water tender, the right hand vehicle is a Bedgford SHZ 4x2 ex Green Goddess ; these were supply ex UK AFS to the Cypriot Fire Services. They were sent over after the UK Inspector of Fire Services did an inspection for the Cypriot government. I saw 4x2 ex Goddesses in Limassol, Nicosia and Larnaca, In the Turkish enclave in the old walled city of Famagusta they had a 4x4 Gopddess still gloos green with AFS markings, parked along side was a Bedford QL ex RAF fuel bowser converted to a water tender.

The lower picture is a Thorny Nubian DP 1 ex RAF. this may be the one that had a monitor on the roof which was used at the Bloodhound site at RAF Paramalli , then at Akrotiri.

TED

Edited by ted angus

Only a few DP1 tenders were fitted with tjhe roof monitor they also had a anti-fragmentation screen over the front . In the picture posted the brackets above the windscreen are visible.

Attached is a shot of what I reckon is the same tender many years previous.

TED

LarnacaDP!..jpg

• 2 months later...

Carrington2010066.jpg

Without re-igniting the AFS/ Military vehicle debate, this Green Godess was according to the display board painted Yellow for N.I. service, in the hope that the vehicle would be recognised as a civilian operated vehicle and not come under attack in the same way Army operated vehicles were.

It also claims to have been fitted at one time with anti-roit mesh guards to the windows.

Without re-igniting the AFS/ Military vehicle debate, this Green Godess was according to the display board painted Yellow for N.I. service, in the hope that the vehicle would be recognised as a civilian operated vehicle and not come under attack in the same way Army operated vehicles were.

It also claims to have been fitted at one time with anti-roit mesh guards to the windows.

I think that those that served in N.I also had all their handles removed from the lockers in order to stop them being opened while in hostile area's.

I think that those that served in N.I also had all their handles removed from the lockers in order to stop them being opened while in hostile area's.

This one has also lost the grab handles below the windscreen. I don't know whether this was to stop people attempting to climb the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This Land Rover was at War & Peace, does anyone know where it spent it's time while in the MOD? It's Army registration was 50 EP 03.

I remember seeing one of these at Catterick (the Fire Station is near the roundabout), in the late 60s/early 70s.