Military Fire Appliances Gallery

AndyFowler

Known as the DP 2, same truck in both shots. The lower shot shows it equipped with a anti- fragmentation screen for use on missile sites such as Thor & Bloodhound. 

The trucks official title. "Truck Fire-Fighting 5 ton 6x6 Water Foam DP2"  Thornycroft Nubian chassis finished vehicle by MILES. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ted angus said:

Known as the DP 2, same truck in both shots. The lower shot shows it equipped with a anti- fragmentation screen for use on missile sites such as Thor & Bloodhound. 

The trucks official title. "Truck Fire-Fighting 5 ton 6x6 Water Foam DP2"  Thornycroft Nubian chassis finished vehicle by MILES. 

I thought Foamite made all the DPs 

It's been suggested that MILES made the prototype Salamader for Pyrene. Would you have anything on that, please, @ted angus ?

Prototype1.jpg.6e3e4c136806fd4cdf796da4876bf566.jpg

1 hour ago, ted angus said:

Both the Army and RN had there own DP 2s

Min Supply had there own DP 1s at Farnborough. Bedford. And other research establishments.

Thanks for that, @ted angus. Would you know the full production figures for DP1 and DP2 please.
I presume that Foamite made all the DP1 and Miles made all the DP2 - for Army and RAF.
Apparently, Miles sold out to Gloucester Aircraft in 1960, who sold Miles to Dennis at a later date.
Joined a couple of groups to try and find out any history on the Cheltenham factory. Early days.

DP1 DP2 numbers.jpg

3 hours ago, wally dugan said:

MARK a question for you in amongst some files  there are listed THORNEYCROFT 4X4 fire tenders with the suffix PD not DP some have army registration numbers some sent to SUN ENGINEERING ?

I'll ask the RAF types about the PD. If it was on MERLIN then it would be easy to say typo, because MERLIN is full of those. Do you have FV or contract numbers of the vehicles?

Since I started looking at the Salamander, I'm amazed at just how many companies were making fire engines in the 50s and 60s. We always use the name of the chassis manufacturer, rather than the body builder of the fire engine - except for Dennis of course, who made both.

Sun Engineering is yet another body builder that made fire engines. This one being in Feltham, which is where Plymouth based Tecalemit group set up a Foamite factory, which is where the Salamander / Foamite crash tenders were made for South Africa.

I think there was another Sun Engineering in Coventry, but found this.

Sunengineering.thumb.jpg.26c0d07dd44a3a7657fbccb740acd21a.jpg

Edited by Mark Ellis

Having a quick look through the files  first it is SUN ENGINEERING FELTHAM secondly the  PD is not a p it appears quite clearly written else were as TRUCK FIRE FIGHTING FD FOAM Thorneycroft . Also TENDER FIRE CRASH Thorneycroft sent to HMS  HERON YEOVILTON 47 RN 44 /6781 this the first fire engine  with a RN NUMBER. As l said l know nothing about fire engines but the more l look the more l am puzzled  just checked its the one on page 90 of the FVRDE 1962 CATALOGUE

• Thanks 1

The RN and Army had DP2s. The Army had 3  the RN was an unknown number as the records haven't been accessed  MIn of Supply had DP1s at Farnborough , Bedford Pershore etc.  27 AG 12 and 13 were also DP 3s.  You havent included the operational MK 6 proto 22AG54.    01AY51-54 are not DP 3  the were ex RN MK7 - 6x6 Nubians by Pyrene. 

Re 47RN44, this is a type only used by the RN  6x6 Nubian by Sun, the RN seem to favour rear mounted monitors . they also had a handful on the 4x4 Nubian. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ted angus said:

The RN and Army had DP2s. The Army had 3  the RN was an unknown number as the records haven't been accessed  MIn of Supply had DP1s at Farnborough , Bedford Pershore etc.  27 AG 12 and 13 were also DP 3s.  You havent included the operational MK 6 proto 22AG54.    01AY51-54 are not DP 3  the were ex RN MK7 - 6x6 Nubians by Pyrene. 

@ted angus, Thanks for the info.

Mk6 prototype is the first one on the Salamander reg sheet. I guess I should also add the FV6001 reg on that as well

How many DP1 did the MOS have? Did they have any DP2 or 3, please?

image.thumb.png.3c0690e97d21381cc8f7df9cdd334f0f.png

13 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

another RN ONE 40 RN 40/5485 FLEET AIR ARM  OI AY 51 TO 01 AY 53 MY MISTAKE  there are lot's of three ton 4x4 s fire tenders listed but l have no idea  if there DP 1's or what

I presume that all DP1s are marked up as Thornycroft DP1, @wally dugan

I was interested in the DP1 and DP2 because they supported the Foam crash tenders. The Salamander can empty the 700 gallon water tank in 1.8 minutes. The DP1 has a 700 gallon tank, and the DP2 has a 1000 gallon water tank - to support the foam crash tenders

DP-1.thumb.jpg.fe2bba27428b740a5371a6fdf30e58ee.jpg

Salamander-Water-time.thumb.jpg.f56395361dff7ba52aceff90bd18c310.jpg