early Mw's how many left?

rippo

Thanks Maurice, was good meeting you again.

I've attached a picture with the areas Maurice pointed out to me earlier this week. The area circled in red is wood covered with sheet metal on early aeroscreen MW's, as opposed to sheet metal only on later ones.

Also the area circled in yellow has indentations on early aeroscreen MW's, where they used cab pressings from OY - see second picture.

Did I get that right Maurice?

Thanks,

Hanno

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74075[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74076[/ATTACH]

Im sorry, but on this second picture is Bedford OX,

but exist very intersting Eary , early MW in Norway (!!!)

with this details on originaly front OX/OY cab, but I dont know chassis number

Tom Higgins

bedfordmwd (2).JPG

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hi guys I am starting to research the history of my MWD it has chassis No.2947 and I would like to know approx. when it was built and under which contract No. plus is there a way to work out its Z no. Apart from the chassis No. I have no other ID plates.

If I get her finished before 2015 then I'm thinking of taking her out to Dunkirk so will be interested in any events taking place.

Cheers RR.

there is no relation between chassis number and Z number . They were just radomly parked , and then the Z numbers were aplied.

Yours must be from the 1939 contract , in 1940, the following contract had u channel step brackets . There was a start contract for 500 MW`s , and a following up contract in 39 , about 3000 were built in 39 , starting from 1001. your steps should be made from a single wooden plank ,in 1940 was the change to the u channels and 3 wooden piece step . somewhere I must have the two 39 contract numbers .Will dig them out.

Thanks Maurice

If you could find the contract No's that would be great, My step brackets are away being sand blasted the treads are of checker plate they look original ?

100_2504.jpg

maybe original brackets and replacement treads ?

Any idea when chassis 2947 was produced I guess somewhere between Sept - Dec 39 ?

I am busy carefully rubbing down any areas that may have the Z No. but no luck so far I would like to try to find its original No. but this may prove impossible.

First contract was by the look of it for 50 MWG trucks, but acording to B.Vanderveen he told me that he found in France a wreck wich had chassis number MWG1381, so doesn`t match again .

Edited by Maurice

Thanks for that John I have just looked in my "instruction book for Bedford four wheeled W.D. type trucks dated Dec 1939 it shows the three contract Nos. So my truck was part of the 294/T/8102 contract .

Hello,

Looking at the parts list, there was only two type of step, boards fitted chassis no 1001-14855. and the slat fitted after that.

The step brackets changed twice, chassis number 1001-4002 then 4003-14855 and 14856-. i think the first changed would have been from the flat plate to the u section.

The august 1940 drivers handbook quotes four contract numbers, 294/T/7729, 294/T/8102, 294/V/3733, and 294/T/T8957. It also states in the handbook, below the contact numbers, commencing chassis number M.W.1001, so these are all the contact numbers upto august 1940. My truck is chassis number MWD 10163 and from contact number V3733. I know of a truck from contact T8102 and the chassis number is MWD 7500 ish. So if the first contract was for 500 trucks, jeremys must be in the second, but that must have been a big order 8000 trucks. I know of anther mw from contract V3733 and the chassis number is 12500ish, and the contact was for 3000 trucks, so i guess V3733 started about chassis number 9000.

john

Hello louis,

Here's some pictures showing the early shovel holder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77527[/ATTACH]

This is my bedford, i have remade the shovel holder base, but the clip for the shaft is in the original holes. On the cabbed mw the shovel moved a few inches inside the cab to allow for the door, and the shovel holder base became smaller (the one i had on ebay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77528[/ATTACH]

A picture of maurices MW, showing the shovel right where the door is on a later mw.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77529[/ATTACH]

And a factory pictureyou can see the shovel holder.

John

is the shovel the same model as used on the gun shield of the 25 pounder ?

Hi John,

What are the sizes for the shovel holder and the axe holder you have on your MW..??

Cheers,

Louis

Hello louis,

Here's some pictures showing the early shovel holder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77527[/ATTACH]

This is my bedford, i have remade the shovel holder base, but the clip for the shaft is in the original holes. On the cabbed mw the shovel moved a few inches inside the cab to allow for the door, and the shovel holder base became smaller (the one i had on ebay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77528[/ATTACH]

A picture of maurices MW, showing the shovel right where the door is on a later mw.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77529[/ATTACH]

And a factory pictureyou can see the shovel holder.

John

• 4 weeks later...
Im sorry, but on this second picture is Bedford OX,

but exist very intersting Eary , early MW in Norway (!!!)

with this details on originaly front OX/OY cab, but I dont know chassis number

Tom Higgins

Hello Tom,

The early Bedforn in Norway is mine. Chassis nr. is MWD 10227. This Bedford have been rebuildt in 45 using a new frame (MWD 53630).

ajn3.jpg

n9bo.jpg

d6sy.jpg

Regards

Sigve

• 2 weeks later...
Went to Crawly at the weekend to have a look a the MW in the ealier post. 500 mile round trip bit got to see TWO early mw's.

The vehicle in crawley is the earlest MW i have seen so far. The chassis number is MWG 1423, the 422th vehicle to be made :wow:. Also a MWG, would have carried Mixartilerys new gun. Although what is there, isn't in to bad shape, there isn't enough of the original truck for me, but hopefully someone will give it a good home. Some nice original parts, aeroscreens, air filter, dash, steps.

As spotted at W&P 2013.... I was made running there and then!

IMG_4507_resized.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Went to Crawly at the weekend to have a look a the MW in the ealier post. 500 mile round trip bit got to see TWO early mw's.

The vehicle in crawley is the earlest MW i have seen so far. The chassis number is MWG 1423, the 422th vehicle to be made :wow:. Also a MWG, would have carried Mixartilerys new gun. Although what is there, isn't in to bad shape, there isn't enough of the original truck for me, but hopefully someone will give it a good home. Some nice original parts, aeroscreens, air filter, dash, steps.

See http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p1030378238/h260959cf#h260959cf for another pic of:

"Bedford MW ROT779G chassis no MWG1423, date of first registration 24/2/69. Seen at auction on 12/11/11 at Redhill in Surrey, sold for £1000."