hgv licence

Brooky! You HAD to mention horse boxes! What about The logs required when you move other peoples horse, the DEFRA licence, not ot mention the H&S wear a hard hat when loading, the use of a Cherrokke twitch (Banned) Humane restraint. Easier to ride the thing. And you are absolutley right, it bears no resembalance to the proper Operators CPC.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Is there any restrictions on age? I think you have to be 21 to start with but what about the grumpy old men in this thread? Can they take an HGV over 50 years of age or at 65 if they want?

Grumpy old men i havnt contributed to this thread,good question though.what are the limits on older aplications,none i would of thought on age discriminations.

May I suggest that you don't ring up the DVLA and ask. If everybody starts doing it they will wonder why and look into it further. Then a ruling will be made and ya' can bet your best boots it won't be in our favour. Just accept that as Tony says at present you can drive Hippo's Matadors and 'heavies' on your car license if it has the necessary catagories on it. I have had mine 47 years ( I passed when I was 6 months old!) and has road locomotives and allsorts of things on it. If I had claimed 'Grandfathers' rights when HGV's came out it would have that on it. Sadly inspite of once driving a Thames Trader artic (There's a rare bird) I can't drive one now.

The HCVC has been looking into the CPC situation along with FBVC and MVT but it appears to be a right and left hand comunication failure. One thing is for sure it won't favour enthusiasts.

Phil. (Cynical old b......!)

The HCVC has been looking into the CPC situation along with FBVC and MVT but it appears to be a right and left hand comunication failure. One thing is for sure it won't favour enthusiasts.

Phil. (Cynical old b......!)

Phil

There is no confusion regarding driver CPC. If you do not intend to drive vocationally (for a living) there is no requirement for the holder of an LGV to have a driver CPC. The CPC training will be recorded on a card and will have to be produced to a prospective employer if you went for a driving job. If you have a current LGV you will get a driver CPC under grandfather rights. This will last 5 years, if in that time you do not attend the periodic training then you will lose the driver CPC and the right to use your licence vocationally you will however still have an LGV licence.

• 1 year later...

Now here's a good one.......i have HGV 1 and never taken a test.I'll tell you the story.I left the army in 1987 in Germany and stayed working there as a civi.But i had to have a German licence to drive.So i traded in my Brit licence for the German one.The German classing system was differant to the Brits,as in the German HGV(called a class 2) covered every hgv over 7.5 tonnes(artic or not).In 2000 i came back to the UK.DVLA informed me that i could use the German licence in the UK.After 2 years they moved the goal posts again and told me i had to surrender my German licence for a Brit one.After e mailing them and telling them the story they informed me not to worry as i had the german class on my licence.To them i would be classed as me passing my test in Germany(as any normal german civi).hence Brit HGV and never taking a test.:-D