Piece of German bomber...

Jack

Not too sure Richard but I know unfortunately two crew members were killed and were temporarily buried in Upottery church yard. I couldn'tfind any reference in the church when I went looking several weeks ago.

I recollect my father telling me about the crew of a crashed German aircraft that came down in Sussex. He was in the Home Guard. They were buried outside the local churchyard. I think that a lot of the German graves were relocated to a German war cemetry elsewhere in the country.

Hi Jack,

That's good news!. Strange as it may sound it might be better left outside if that's where it's been for 60+years as if it starts to dry out corrosion will likely set in. I will email you some info on this provided by the conservator working on the P-38 project with us.

Cheers,

Matt.

All German casualties from WW1 and WW2 were relocated to Cannock Chase in Staffordshire. Channel Islands graves were transfered to the Ossuary at Mont des Huisnes in Normandy (but TB may know of the odd one which was missed). When my niece was married at the church in Great Burstead recently, I hoped to find some reference to the crew of the Zeppelin which was shot down nearby in 1916 and who were buried there - twenty-two men. But no. What a shame. They were the enemy and in that context I have no sympathy for them; but in historic terms they deserve some mention there even though they have moved up country. We pass the farmland where the Zep impacted when we visit my brother-in-law (who may well read this) and I am often tempted to find out if there are any bits still floating about. A large suitcase sized chunk is in the museum of flight in East Fortune...which is a bit of a drive from Billericay. Great Burstead churchyard has a number of graves with CWGC headstones...and if I ever get a chance, I will post them up.

MB

The Original German burials in Jersey were in the churchyard of St Brelades church. the crosses were wooden of the same style as the Iron cross. All as far as I know were reintered sometime in the early 1960's. I'll try and find some phots. A lot of US remains were rrepatriated as well, thoug some are in the Jersey Allied Cemetery at St Helier., I've posted that on the monuments thread.

In the intrest of balance. An Axis view of RAF bombing. Sorry for the quality but this particular copy of the Evening Post is dated April 14th 1943. Checking the CIOS Review for 1995. The German military Cemetery was in St Brelades' church yard. The bodies were exhumed in 1961 by the West German War Graves Commision and transfered to Mont des Huisnes.

Save0158.jpg

Edited by Tony B