Yet Another Ward La France restoration project.

Stormin

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try www.rainhamsteel.co.uk they deliver all over and certainly used to keep VAST stocks of older material. Although they do not list tapered flange channel I'm confident they will have some s/h stock.

I tried them today out of interest (haven't dealt with them for a while now) and I was partly right - they USED to keep re-useable steel in vast quantities, but not for a few years :-(. They are new stockists only now.

Suppose you could always grind down just the ends to a taper over a couple of inches - only you and the millions of forum readers will ever know!

I tried them today out of interest (haven't dealt with them for a while now) and I was partly right - they USED to keep re-useable steel in vast quantities, but not for a few years :-(. They are new stockists only now.

Suppose you could always grind down just the ends to a taper over a couple of inches - only you and the millions of forum readers will ever know!

Thanks for checking, for me. Didn't get chance myself today.

It's the same story at all the steel suppliers I've tried. Only parallel flange channel available for the last few years. Not sure it's been rolled at all in this country for years. PRC is a lot more convenient for structural use. Easier to bolt into flanges without wedge washers and smaller notches for side connections.

I think my only hope is finding some from a demolition or refurb job at a reclaim yard.

It's no good grinding the flanges of PFC it's already thinner near the web were it needs to be thicker.

We even considered stripping flanges from one side of an RSJ to get the same profile but that's a lot of work and I'm having to pay for it.

Hence the need to find a "re-usable" steel stockist, and what have I just found in Lancashire (:cool2:) but www.ainscoughmetals.com who are listing 5 parcels of varying quantities of clean re-usable 150 x 90 channel - problem is it doesn't specify tapered or parallel, so you'll have to phone them.

Feeling lucky? :sweat:

150x90 suggests PFC, as old style is usually specified by the old imperial dimensions 152x89.

But I'll give them a go later if I can.

Bit busy this morning as the missus is due in hospital for the birth of our second child.

150x90 suggests PFC, as old style is usually specified by the old imperial dimensions 152x89.

But I'll give them a go later if I can.

Bit busy this morning as the missus is due in hospital for the birth of our second child.

Yes you are right. I was thinking tapered channel went to metric sizing before the 'Parallel Flange Act' was passed (at least 12 years ago they reckon, not 8!), but not so apparently.

So anything 150 x 90 will not be tapered.

My problem is anything I build is 1/2 new steel, 1/2 old stuff - so inches and millimetres and odd sized steel is all imperial immaterial to me, and nothing fits right until the final machining pass with the gas axe :sweat:

Glad to see you have your priorities right - rusty steel and brake chambers are a pretty poor second to the excitement ahead of you. Hope all goes well! :yay:

I just phoned Andy's link, Norman, as I was amazed that they list on their website all the old imperial sizes in tapered as well as metric and I thought it would be useful for me too. They are a major steel stockist.

I said

"You're listing 152 x 89 channel in tapered" :)

He said

"Are we? What year is our old stock book you're looking at?" :rofl:

I said

"Erm, your website" :nono:

He said

"Oh heck, we'll have to look into that and put it right". :embarrassed: :n00b:

I thought you'd walked off with the Find-of-the Year Cup there, Andy! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst myself and my missus have been busy with the new arrival, my friends at DJM engineering has been getting on with the back body work for the Ward. Managed to pop up for half an hour and have a look today. What a fantastic job they've made of it!

DSC00833.jpg

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Norman;

Hope all is going well, I have not seen you post anthing since March. I am still working on my "million" small jobs. My repro oil filter decals I had made up arrived. I am rebuilding the air compressor currently. The radiator got sent out for an overall check. That thing must weigh 300 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Thanks for asking John.

Still making steady progress in between the weather.

Got the rest of the rear part of the chassis blasted and primed.

There were a few sections were blasting didn't do the trick and I had to resort to swinging the hammer to remove trapped rust. The rear cross member was one. The rust had got in and distorted the crossmember so it was above the level of the main rails. A few hours work with the hammer sorted this out. Interestingly using the hammer on the main longitudinal rails and it bounced off. Would appear the main rails are spring steel similar to modern trucks. The inserts and crossmembers are ordinary steel and have suffered more from corrosion.

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00951.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

Norman;

Putting all those bolts in those the brake diaphrams brings back memories. The frame looks GREAT:):)

Japp Rietveld is bringing me some parts to the Aberdeen show next, so I can put some things back togather.

John

That's the final colour, but not the final coat. I've spot primed the nuts and bolts and done another few top coats. May go over everything again once things are all boted up underneath but I'm a bit wary of paint getting into joints and partially seizing them.

The paint is a satin finish or semi-gloss. Looks very shiny for a few days then settles down to a more matt finish. The chassis pictures were taken 2 weeks after painting.