Yet Another Ward La France restoration project.

Stormin

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good Norman.

Any idea of a finishing date?

Not setting myself a date. I feel quite lucky to have got any time in at all on the truck with the recent new arrival in our family, so just taking it a step at a time. Weather will also be a governing factor I think as it's mostly outside work.

Not sure I'll ever be able to sat it's finished. All those items of tool kit to try and collect.

All those items of tool kit to try and collect.

Well, if you're getting to that stage already, and if the originals in Armycars' warehouse are to be relied upon, then this is the pattern of crowbar you need to find :banana: All 26lbs of it.

I've tracked them down to a Chinese manufacturer supplying the U.S.and Eurpoean markets, and last year found a distributer in Northamptonshire, but I've gone and lost the contact details now..... sorry

Can anyone confirm this is the correct wartime pattern?

Pangu Tools 26lb crowbar.jpg

Well, if you're getting to that stage already, and if the originals in Armycars' warehouse are to be relied upon, then this is the pattern of crowbar you need to find :banana: All 26lbs of it.

I've tracked them down to a Chinese manufacturer supplying the U.S.and Eurpoean markets, and last year found a distributer in Northamptonshire, but I've gone and lost the contact details now..... sorry

Can anyone confirm this is the correct wartime pattern?

Is that the 5ft length one for mounting on the boom, or the 42inch one for in the long toolbox? :readpaper:

Is that the 5ft length one for mounting on the boom, or the 42inch one for in the long toolbox? :readpaper:

That particular one is 5ft, but as being mounted on the boom, and as for the 42" one, -

OK, I think you'd better tell us EVERYTHING you know about WLF tool and kit - NOW!! :shocking:

That particular one is 5ft, but as being mounted on the boom, and as for the 42" one, -

OK, I think you'd better tell us EVERYTHING you know about WLF tool and kit - NOW!! :shocking:

Only what is written in TM9-796, section VIII, pages 83 to 98.

Only what is written in TM9-796, section VIII, pages 83 to 98.

Now that is interesting, my copy goes from end of Lubrication P81 to start of Engine P147......

Ah, I've just realised I borrowed a copy of TM9-796 from someone and only copied the sections relevent to my M1 Series 4.

The other (complete) manual I have is for the M1 Series 1 and 2, TM9-795, which is closer to the Series 4 (which doesn't seem to have a manual of its own? :confused:). This gives an inventory of 2 x 60" crowbars loose in body.

Anyway, I haven't even got the engine out yet, let alone put any paint on anything, so I won't be catching you up that's for sure :-D

Keep up the pace!!

• 1 month later...

great restoration we met at astle park last sunday im the guy with the diamond t 969 wrecker,thats taken 17 years to restore .your steaming ahead by my standards,its taken me all week to find your thread ,computers are not my scene.you have got lots more patience than i have,i would be to eager to get the engine running and forget to take photos.my advice would be to keep up the pace while your still keen and dont buy anything else untill you finnish your present resto.unlike myself keep up the good work andy

great restoration we met at astle park last sunday im the guy with the diamond t 969 wrecker,thats taken 17 years to restore .your steaming ahead by my standards,its taken me all week to find your thread ,computers are not my scene.you have got lots more patience than i have,i would be to eager to get the engine running and forget to take photos.my advice would be to keep up the pace while your still keen and dont buy anything else untill you finnish your present resto.unlike myself keep up the good work andy

Thanks Andy,

Already made the fatal mistake. I've a Land Rover 101 in pieces in the garage that hasn't progressed in the ten months I've had the Ward La France.

I posted a few photo's of motors at Astle park including your very nice Diamond T on his thread.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=13627

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I last posted any updates but I have been making steady progress.

Got the rear axle brakes reassembled. Had to make new clevis pins for some of the brake mechanism as I couldn't buy any long enough :-(

Had to make one new backing washer for S cam.

Also had to make a couple of new anchor pins for brakes shoes, due to being seized and damaged on removal.

DSC01065.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

My friend at DJM engineering had finished his extension to his unit so I was allowed room inside. Lucky as I doubt I'd have made much progress at all the last six weeks or so with the weather we've had.

Ward La France Compressor truck.

DSC00154.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hi Norman, just been catching up on this thread, looking very good. ISTR (from a trip to Army cars) that the tool box fitted to the front left of the body is apparently still made by Snap On if thats any help.

Vince

Oh great, a mortgage required to purchase something from Snap-on :-(

Don't suppose you know the product number?

Can't seem to find anything similar on their web-site.

Sorry no, I was in a state of shock too, just couldn't take it all in.

Can I be cheeky and suggest - if anyone has an original box - if they could please post a photo of it we could forward it to Snap-On with the dimensions and see what comes of it. May be a U.S. market only item, but they should be able to source one or two for us......

This is the sort of thing we're looking for from the TM:-

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14942&stc=1&d=1256319707

It's got four drawers to the front in a very unusual arrangement. A particularly deep top section with lift up tray hinged with the lid. Also a drop down flap to the front to cover the drawers rather than the usual type these days attached to the lid.

Ward Toolbox.jpg