Yet Another Ward La France restoration project.

Stormin

Fantastic work Norman - stupid question but when do you plan to have it ready by?

And what a workshop!

Not putting a time scale on things Jack. We've got another baby due in February so that will reduce project time.

Yes it's a great workshop. Unfortunately it's not mine (wish it was). Belongs to my friend Dave at DJM engineering in Bacup, Lancs. He's kindly allowed me to park my vehicle in his yard whilst I carry out some of the work. He'll also be undertaking the welding and fabrication of a new rear body. He's registered on here and I think slowly becoming infected with the green bug.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norman;

I can see that my job was alot less involved than yours in removing the bed. Having that overhead gantry crane sure helped.

Great photos. I was not aware that the rear winch and crane were attached.

Great job.

I am now rebuilding my brake chambers. I would suggest that you have a look at yours as well. My brakes worked, however, I have found alot off debri in the chambers and some valves that were sticking( check valves and relay valves). A good cleaning was in order. I will post pics under Diamond T air brakes.

John Gott

Norman;

I can see that my job was alot less involved than yours in removing the bed. Having that overhead gantry crane sure helped.

Great photos. I was not aware that the rear winch and crane were attached.

Great job.

I am now rebuilding my brake chambers. I would suggest that you have a look at yours as well. My brakes worked, however, I have found alot off debri in the chambers and some valves that were sticking( check valves and relay valves). A good cleaning was in order. I will post pics under Diamond T air brakes.

John Gott

Brakes are next on the agenda after I've got the engine running properly. Be a lot easier with the crane removed. It was only when the bed was removed that I notice the brake chambers for the rear axle are not fitted. I also noticed the nuts and studs securing the brake chambers to the second axle are wasted with corrosion and have been painted over. I'm expecting the compressor to need a good looking at as well if it's anything like the injector pump.

I was thinking of trying to obtain new diaphragms for the brake chambers as they're of unknown age and probably on the points of failing if not already failed. With there only being one air circuit a split diaphragm would be a disaster and leave no brakes. :shake:

I assume the diamond T is on exactly the same brake system?

• 1 month later...

Haven't posted any updates for a while but I haven't been idle on the truck.

Got the fuel pump back together and installed. Runs better than ever now with a very positive throttle response, something that was lacking before. Still a little smokey so injectors may need a clean at some point, but it hasn't really had much load on the engine yet.

Working outside is getting more difficult at this time of year.

DSC00683.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

Norman;

You have the snow I see and I have the very cold temps right now. The better part of the US is getting hammered by a brutal winter storm currently.

I am working on small parts in the shop as I have the truck sitting outside on jack stands currently

How is the brake rebuild coming along?

John

Going to get brutally cold here in Nebraska tonight ...expected -11 f with winds 25 to 35mph plus making for -25 or more windchill . currently +2 f

would not want be outside period.

As Ranger said on the dodge site go out in summer attire and spend a few moments to get a feel for what the soldiers experianced in the winter of 44 !

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while since I last posted but I've not been totally idle.

Most work has been in th air brake system and the rear axles.

After rigging up some copper pipes for the brakes there was a complete failure to build pressure in the system. First to be looked at was the brake actuator. Stipped down on the bench it looked in remarkably good condition internally thanks to a stainless steel diaphragm.

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00717.jpg

Replacing the actuator made no difference still no air pressure.

Next to be looked at was the rear brake relay valve. That was a different story.

Remoarkably it cleaned up quite well. Even the rubber diaphragm was serviceable under all the crud. Seeing what mositure had done to this item, made me re-arrange the air brake piping. I made sure all the air went through both air reservoirs before reaching any ancillaries. Whilst this is the standard arrangement on the Ward La France, my air compressor is on the opposite side so I had to modify the pipe runs.

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

Two of the diaphragms were shot. The other two would probably have been O.K. but for the price I ordered four from Army cars in Holland.

One of the brake chamber tops was severely pitted internally to the point of perforation. I elected to weld this up.

All the chambers were grit blasted and have now been partially painted.

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00748.jpg

DSC00798.jpg

Norman;

Nice work on the brake chambers.. Mine were no where near as bad as shape as yours. That relay valve was a mess.

I bet you will sleep better tonigth knowing you went thru a complete overhaul of the brake system.

I am working on my wheels right now, I will post pictures soon.

John

Whilst some of the small brake parts have made it to the home workshop for fettling, I've been spending time at weekends removing brake parts from the back axles. All the S cam's were seized. The paintwork on the rear axles is not good, green slapped over grease and dirt. The intention is to strip the axles down somewhat for better access and grit blast then paint again.

DSC00776.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

It was a good workout removing eight rear wheels and four brake drum / hub units. in fact it was two workouts on consecutive weekends as I had to make a makeshift spanner to fit the large hub nuts. It was a bit cold at times too!

Managed to warm up rapidly moving wheels and hubs.

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

DSC00792.jpg

Had to resort to the torch to remove all the S cams. The slack adjusters were easily removed and will be cleaned up by wire brush and painted at home. I'm going to have to source new needle roller bearings for S cam's as they're all past it.

DSC00797.jpg

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00811.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Well done mate,seeing these pics reminds me of when i did this sort of thing for the then Metropoliton Water board,one things for sure i couldnt do it now.:sweat:

Meanhile, indoors my friend and fabricator at DJM engineering has made a start on the rear body restoration. The amount of work and tools required to do this are beyond my means but fortunately I know a man who can! Between building a new extension to his workshop he's removed the upper part of the rear crane bed. It has now revealed that the corrosion is not limited to the upper part of the crane bed but also the main frame rails are thinned by corrosion. I'm hoping to source some correct size channel to repair this section, but have been looking for a couple of weeks with no luck.

I need two four foot lengths of 6" x 3 1/2" RSC tapered flanges. If anyone knows of any I'd be pleased to hear from them. Last resort is to repair with modern Parallel flange channel.

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

DSC00786.jpg