FV432 Penthouse Canvas Query

Dougy FV432

Hello All,

I know this subject is more tracked section related, but this question may need the masses! I have been looking for a penthouse for my FV432. I have been offered one, but I would just like to make sure it is the correct. I have been told the NSN No is 8340-99-798-0307 J.S.F 2001, or the first part of the No may start 8310! Is there any way anyone one can confirm this is the correct canvas, or let me know where I could find out. I would also be interested in finding the No. for the side penthouse for the BDR trailers.

Thanks in advance

Dougy

Dougy,

You will need to find the CES list for a 432 variant which was issued with the tent and check the NSN against that. The same goes for the Comms trailer. I don't think I have the CES for either.

Chris

Dougy, 8310 would make it "Yarn & Thread" so the NSN you gave makes sense. It comes up as "Shelter, Canvas" made by GKN Defence which is not very helpful. I have a 1973 catalogue of tents & shelters in service & under development but curiously it is not mentioned in there.

Looking in another source it is just listed as "Canvas" but gives the DMC as MT13 which are B & C vehicle components : coach materials, body fitments, covers, waterproof. Afraid that adds nothing to identify it further.

I have the User Handbooks for a range of those FV2308 trailers a lot of the items are identified by NSN, but not alas the tentage. Maybe because it says "Penthouse frames & fabric, these items form part of the vehicle issue". So presumably it would not appear in the trailer CES.

Edited by fv1620

The NSN I have for the canvas is 8430-99-800-0043. Although I was led to believe that it was only used on the command post variant. (actually, does anybody know if the frames for these are avaliable? I've got two really good canvas's and only half a set of poles).

As far as the radio repair trailer pent houses go, I'll try and dig mine out and get you the numbers later.

432 tent 1.jpg

432 tent 2.jpg

DSCF0825.jpg

Nice diagrams, judging by the image codes they look to come from a Provisional User Handbook, wonder what date that is?

Interesting that recent date on the canvas. Don't recognise the manufacturer originally made my Wickham D & Co Stevenage Ltd with their part no 13510F there is a design no FV462749.

Came across some NSNs that might be BDR trailer.

8340-99-802-401 Shelter, canvas, mobile repair shop, canopy, top section, cloth, flax, olive drab.

8340-99-802-402 Shelter, canvas, mobile repair shop, canopy, end section, cloth, flax, olive drab.

8340-99-802-403 Shelter, canvas, mobile repair shop, canopy, end section, cloth, flax, olive drab.

8340-99-802-404 Shelter, canvas, mobile repair shop, canopy, top section, cloth, flax, olive drab.

Possibly top & end sections are sided, hence different NSNs.

They are rather nice diagrams-sadly they were a couple of images I got from somebody on here, but the thread disappeared after that big outage. The canvas is/was part of a command post conversion kit I've got (or to be more accurate 3 large packing cases of ). It contained the benches, seats, map boards etc to fit in the 434 series vehicle (whichever one it was) to convert it to the command post role. I just need space for a 43* now to fit them in. As well as the missing poles-I've got a pipe dream of using both tents together, as a 224 square foot palace for Beltring.

As for the repair trailer, the there are 2 different end section types (left and right hand) but I can't remember about the roof sections. (it's raining here). There should also be a panel that covers the side of the trailer, that goes over the wheel arch etc! Mine are almost a deep bronze green colour, and made of that plastic impregnated type canvas! (all early 70's dated though, so possibly a later improvement!)

• 6 years later...

The D Wickham & Co. Ltd were based in Ware, Hertfordshire but also had a site in Stevenage. They were a general engineering company that were best known for the rail vehicles they built, examples of which still survive in the UK & all over the world.

The Company sadly does not exist any longer.

I'll pass on the query to some contacts who used to work for the Company & see what they can tell me.