10 Downing Street Reenactment - epetition response

Jack

Thursday 14 August 2008 Reenactment - epetition response

We received a petition asking:

“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to protect the rights of responsible re-enactors and collectors of deactivated firearms.”

Details of Petition:

“As reenactors and collectors we find that our rights as responsible collectors of deactivated firearms is again being eroded. Re-enactors raise many thousands of pounds for veterans charities, and other good causes every year. We make sure our events are safe and comply with all Health and safety regulations. We are insured and members of organised groups and clubs. If re-enactors are banned from having deactivated firearms, a whole hobby will be wiped out, many hundred’s of businesses that supply uniform, kit, vehicles will close down, Thousands of hobbyists, model makers and visitors will no longer have the chance to see re-enactments in the open air. This proposed crime bill will effectively make criminals out of hundreds of thousands of law abiding people in the UK without a thought for their rights, just because of a few uneducated individuals wave imitation firearms in the streets.”

· Read the petition

· Petitions homepage

Read the Government’s response

Thank you for signing the e-Petition about deactivated firearms.

The Home Secretary made an announcement in January about deactivated firearms following police concerns about their increasing use in crime. Of particular concern are guns deactivated before 1995 when tough new standards were introduced for the deactivation of live guns making them harder to re-activate.

We are aware that many deactivated firearms are owned by genuine responsible collectors and we want to allow this to continue as far as possible. We will consult the Association of Chief Police Officers and other interested parties later this year on the best way forward, which allows genuine collectors to continue while depriving criminals of the opportunity to misuse de-activated guns. This will be a public consultation and the consultation paper will be available through the Home Office website, www.homeoffice.gov.uk. Re-enactors would be very welcome to send a response to this consultation once it is launched.

Further Information

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page16520

I don't know how many are aware that the MVT has some high ranking officers in it's ranks. Thanks to the combined efforts of Simon Bromley and Preston Isaacs the previous attempt was rewritten. I know that the MVT have been in consultation with the Home Office over this matter when the Home Secretary made the remark in a speech. It is already known that it is easier to turn a BB gun into a 'live firer' than any of the de acts. In the original white paper even armoured vehicles guns would have been illegal.

One of the problems with Knee jerk reactions they cover to many things. I don't have any de acts but I would uphold the right of genuine re enactors to have one.

Phil P

Edited by Marmite!!
Dunblane has no relevance to this thread

• 3 weeks later...

Point taken. However at the time 'Enabaling Legislation' was rushed through. This means at the stroke of pen a 'Secratary of State' can change the law. The original idea of this concept was for use in times of National Emergency. One queries what National emergency re-enactors cause ?

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly with both headline incidents involving legally owned firearms, the licence issuing forces either failed to follow the home office guidlines, or ignored the local officers assessment in the issueing/renewing of Firearms Certificates. In spite of this, the huge majority (yet a small minority of the UK population)of law abiding gun owners have either lost their sport altogether, or face an ongoing regime of increased legislation and expense. This all with the idea of making the UK a safer place.

Clearly this has actually had little effect on the use of illegal firearms or the resulting deaths, leading now to the idea that banning de-activated, or replica weapons again held by a small "non PC" minority will be the solution! Going on the previous misdirected consultations running up to poor legislation, I can only feel sorry for holders of such weapons as the future looks bleak!

Jules

That was my original point. Just like speed humps were thought up to slow down kids racing round housing etates. Everybody else suffers. It has no effect on the original offenders because the car they are using is probably 'knocked off' anyway. It is cheaper and quicker to buy a hand gun in a pub than mess about converting a de-activated one. I wouldn't be suprised if the Home Office doesn't make the owning of small machine tools illegal so that you cannot manufacture/convert guns in your own shed at home!! The problem is the rules are cooked up by politicians who are totally out of touch with reallity.

Phil.

I don't know how many are aware that the MVT has some high ranking officers in it's ranks. Thanks to the combined efforts of Simon Bromley and Preston Isaacs the previous attempt was rewritten. I know that the MVT have been in consultation with the Home Office over this matter when the Home Secretary made the remark in a speech. It is already known that it is easier to turn a BB gun into a 'live firer' than any of the de acts. In the original white paper even armoured vehicles guns would have been illegal.

One of the problems with Knee jerk reactions they cover to many things. I don't have any de acts but I would uphold the right of genuine re enactors to have one.

Phil P

I had a go at "Airsoft" over the weekend, hugely entertaining, fun and going by the attendance something for all of the family.

However how you would turn an Airsoft BB gun into a live firer is beyond me, they use electric motors and a very thin brass tube as a barrell, the only thing in common with the real item is that they look like an actual firearm. No doubt that will be enough to create a wholly useless law that will only affect the law abiding citizen.

I had a go at "Airsoft" over the weekend, hugely entertaining, fun and going by the attendance something for all of the family.

However how you would turn an Airsoft BB gun into a live firer is beyond me, they use electric motors and a very thin brass tube as a barrell, the only thing in common with the real item is that they look like an actual firearm. No doubt that will be enough to create a wholly useless law that will only affect the law abiding citizen.

The VCR Act had nothing to do with with turning Airsoft guns in to live firers.. it was all to do with appearance, that's why the Act refers to "RIF's" Realistic Imitation Firearms..

Deacs remain unaffected by the VCR Act..

Has there been any update from the Government on VCR? Following the VCR bill abut a year ago I got the impression that the Government was thinking of tightening the rules even more.

All been put on the back burner for now...