Back To The Track

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No 45 Australian camp Hospital 1942-1944

Thanks Paul, :tup::

Just found the booklet giving details of wartime bases along the Track, there were in fact seven camp hospitals along the route throughout the war years.

More info on Daly Waters aerodrome.........it was built in 1929 and quickly became a staging point for international and interstate flights as well as the mail run flights. Later it was a staging point for QANTAS DH86 Rapides on the Singapore to Australia leg of the UK-Sydney run. Aircraft using the aerodrome during the war in the Pacific included Hudsons, Wirraways, Spitfires, B-17, B-25, P-40 Warhawk, etc.

On to Larrimah and I omitted to say that the US Army had facilities there also, with the 29th and 48th Quartermaster Trucking Companies, Ordnance, Provost and Stores units.

Mon 7th August

We left Larrimah for a short run to Mataranka. No convoy control today as it is only a short run of 77 kms and there are a few military sights to see on the way. The one of note was Gorrie airfield, this was very overgrown, with mature trees, which would not have been there during the war. All the buildings were dismantled and sold after the war. The runway was in good order and it is possible it might still be used occasionally. We were given warnings of not to go far from your vehicle as it is easy to get lost there. The airfield was constructed in 1942/43, The US helped to fund the runway and facilities. From 1943, 14 Aircraft Repair Depot was active there, responsible for RAAF aircraft inc. Hudson, Beafort, Mitchell, Spitfire, C-47, Lightning, Vultee Vengeance, Liberator, Beaufighter..............

We arrived at Mataranka Homestead for lunch, the rest of the day was free to relax as we were camping overnight. Outside the entrance were five M-113 carriers from 2 Cav. Regt., taking part in K-95 exercise. Talking to the crews, it appeared that they were about to move to another location much further North in the Gulf of Carpentaria, and were waiting for transport to arrive. Later some Macks and trailers arrived, photos to follow.

There was a thermal pool in the Homestead and many of the Trackers were having a dip......until a large snake appeared in it :shake::shake::shake:. Glad I did not see that. The evening entertainment after the meal was a group called the Chantoozies...apparantly well known over there. Another Kangeroo court was held, but although I remember the victim, I forget his misdemeanor.

Weather getting warmer as we get further North........and this is Winter over there :)

Edited by Richard Farrant
spelling

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Watching ray mears,werent you suposed to make fires everwhere and build canoes from the bark of a tree.Trip of a lifetime cobber.Thanks for your efforts on this subject.Great reading.

Watching ray mears,werent you suposed to make fires everwhere and build canoes from the bark of a tree.

Dont think Ray Mears was about then, the essential viewing was the Bush Tucker Man........Major Les Hiddins travelling around in an army 110, did you ever watch him?

Thanks for your comments :tup:: ....I am enjoying your Africa trip as well.

Photos for last episode...........

1. Gorrie airfield - convoy vehicles on the old runway

2. Mataranka Homestead - M113 carriers, note the one with Scorpion turret.

3. Mataranka again...loading carrier on to a Mack 6x6

4. same location, Mack with crane, loaded.

5. all loaded and ready to roll

BTTT - Gorrie.jpg

BTTT - M113.jpg

BTTT - M113 2.jpg

BTTT - M113 3.jpg

BTTT - M113 4.jpg

This is one of the troops from B Squadron 2 Cav (may be my old troop 2 MRVs 3 LRVs) being redeployed to the Timber creek area near the WA boarder. I was in HQ Squadron at the time and in Kununurra WA. The Macks are R600s 6+6 a great truck that I have done many miles in now up for sale $20,000 I believe.

This is one of the troops from B Squadron 2 Cav (may be my old troop 2 MRVs 3 LRVs) being redeployed to the Timber creek area near the WA boarder.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the insight here. If it was your old troop, would you recollect any of the vehicle names? The only one I can read of my photos is "Battletoad".

Another M113 arrived during the evening while at the Homestead, theses guys did not know who we were and were not happy to talk, thinking we might be "Orangelanders" :)

Richard I cant remember there names any thing starting with B, I tried for there call signs 22 was my old troop, there should of been 5 vehicles loaded. Were the other one came from I don't no, have you got a call sign?

The enemy was played by the SAS from WA also the Coppers from WA had an operation on in the boarder area, just to confuse things, but that's another story.

Tues 8th Aug. 1995

We left Mataranka camp site and drove up to the town, to display our vehicles to the townspeople and local school children. An army foot patrol turned up for a look as well. From here it was about 100 or so kms to the town of Katherine, according to my diary, we were doing convoy control again, which meant going on ahead to direct the packets off the main highway to our campsite. While we were waiting for them to arrive, a jeep was seen approaching, it was not one that either of us recognised and certainly looked the worst for wear, loaded up with kit and flying a large Union Jack flag, we stopped him for a chat. It turned out he was from South Australia and been chasing the convoy all the way non-stop and it had not been an easy journey after a near miss with a kangaroo, he hit a post. A road spring was well out of line. He was later assisted by the RAEME LAD in getting his old jeep fixed up.

That afternoon we were invited to an Australia Remembers barbeque at Katherine Museum. In the field next to the museum, a huge army field hospital had been set up as part of the military exercise which was well under way. A M113 had been brought up to the museum for people to look over..

The following day we went back to the south side of Katherine, to RAAF Tindal airbase. The original "Track" that the wartime convoys used, went through the airbase. As security was very tight with the exercise on we were under strict instructions, no cameras :-(. We drove slowly through and there was so much kit around. F18 aircraft taking off, also Kiowa helicopters, etc. Hidden under the trees were M113 carriers and Leopard tanks. We returned to our camp with the rest of the day to ourselves. I went down to the low-level bridge over the river, no crocodiles to be seen though. There are freshwater crocs in this area.

In the evening while going back to the Land Rover, I heard something, turned around and it was a big frill necked goana or similar.......I am afraid I did not hang about as he looked a little disturbed........not half as much as I was :shake:.

In Katherine, that jeep, 'the Jeep from Hell', AKA- Phil Luff, was stopped in the main street. I stopped in the 1940 Chev Staff Car and Phil said he needed a tow back to camp. On arrival at the camp, the jeep was looked at and the gearbox and bell housing had separated from the engine. The centre of the clutch plate was ripped out. 2 hours later a new clutch was installed along with the errant bell housing bolts and Phil continued on the trip. The accident Richard mentioned was repaired by the use of some of the many spares being carried by the Jeep Brigade. This involved a new spring, brake parts and eventaully a complete front diff assembly. I think that almost a complete jeep mechanical set up was spirited away amongst the jeep mob, just in case. That jeep still looks the same. I saw it 12months ago on an outback trip north of the Flinders Rangers in South Australia. I don't think that it had been washed either since 1995.

Regards Rick

Some persons of unknown identity, had great fun moving the route guides for Kangaroo 95 around. These guides , Diamonds, Hearts, Clubs and Spades, and a directing arrow, were used to point the various military units to their correct areas. During our stay at Katherine, many of the route markers were swapped about. So I you had to follow the Hearts to your refuling point for example, you could end up anywhere. Don't ask me how I know, cos I'm not saying anything.

Some persons of unknown identity, had great fun moving the route guides for Kangaroo 95 around. These guides , Diamonds, Hearts, Clubs and Spades, and a directing arrow, were used to point the various military units to their correct areas. During our stay at Katherine, many of the route markers were swapped about. So I you had to follow the Hearts to your refuling point for example, you could end up anywhere. Don't ask me how I know, cos I'm not saying anything.

Rick,

That sounds like the work of Fifth Columnists :??? :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Time to catch up again, first, two photos to go with the last account, from Mataranka to Katherine.

1. A Fargo truck, from our convoy, crossing the Low Level Bridge near Katherine. The scenery is now changing from desert to more tropical.

2. Our Land Rover in front of a sign warning of Kangaroo 95 exercise movements. Somewhere near Katherine.

Click on photos to enlarge

BTTT - lowlevel bridge.jpg

BTTT - K95 sign.jpg

Edited by Richard Farrant
added text

From Katherine, our next stopover was to be Adelaide River.

As normal, my friend Dave, was to be frst away, well in advance of the convoy packets, in order to recce the location of the first stop. As we got back on the Stuart Highway and left Katherine, I could see a rocky outcrop ahead just off the road.......but something did not appear right, to my eyes I could see wheels, lots of them :confused:. As we drew closer, a man was seen sitting on the side of the road.........it all became clear as we pulled up! A road train had gone off the road and overturned, its load was a new Western Star tractor unit and another semi-trailer. The driver told us it had happened a few hours before and "something had run across the road in front of him". As we spoke, a small truck arrived to assist, so we carried on.

After about 90 kms, we reached Pine Creek and whilst in a service station refuelling, an Australian Army vehicle pulled in, with four British MP's, apparantly observing the K95 exercise. I finally got my breakfast in the Hard Rock Cafe in Pine Creek......not an official Hard Rock establishment I think, although the logo was a replica! The lunch stop was at the local school, always enjoyable, with the reaction from the kids in these remote places. On of our group, Warren Brown, entertained the kids by drawing cartoons of them. He is a cartoonist for the Daily Telegraph in Sydney, doing the daily cartoon, there would be no politician who had not suffered under his pen!

On having our lunch, Dave and I left the school in advance, to check out a remote airfield about 80 kms North. Fenton Airfield was a bomber base during WW2, now part of a large cattle station, permission to visit had been made in advance. Initially the USAAF were based there with B-17 Fortresses in late 1942. Then they had B-24 Liberators there. The Japanese bombed the field on several occasions. The RAAF took over from the USAAF in August 1944 and brought their B-24 aircraft in. Operations from here were aimed at Japanese occupied islands north of Australia. Although the site is now overgrown with trees and vegitation, the runway is still in good order. Signs had been erected to show the locations of varios parts of the airfield. There was an emergency crash strip where damaged aircraft had to land so not to block the main runway, when we located it, some substantial lumps of wrecked Liberators were still there bearing paintwork and markings. Kicking through the dirt found all kinds of items, from radio bits, etc. On leaving the airfield, we had arranged to check in any other convoy vehicles that wanted to visit, to ensure no one got left behind. Whilst stopped on the side of the road, just by a working silver mine, as it happened, we were treated with suspicion by the occupants of a ute, probably locals who had been warned of an infiltration of "Orangelander" forces duing K95. Apparantly, we were reported as the "enemy"! :-D

From here we headed off for the night stop at Adelaide Creek, more to follow on that.

* As a postscript on my friend, Warren Brown, mentioned earlier, he was one of the organisers of Back To The Track. He came over to England and joined me for the MVT Normandy Tour in 2004. Here he met another Australian, Lang Kidby, they formed a plan there and then to re-enact the famous Peking to Paris Race of 1907. Within a year it was done, with cars as used originally. He is now one of the presenters on Top Gear Australia, which started this month. You never know who you might meet on these sort of events.

Photos ;

1. Part of the convoy, at Pine Creek school

2 and 3. Remains of B-24 at Fenton Airfield

4. Magnetic ant hills found in abundance in this area

BTTT - PineCreek.jpg

BTTT - Fenton.jpg

BTTT - Fenton2.jpg

BTTT - anthills.jpg

How come your termite mounds are bigger than mine:shocked:

:-D:-D:-D

Ah....these are no ordinary termite, they are Magnetic ones ! These mounds are accurately aligned North to South, in order to keep a uniform temperature throught out the year, of 30 degs C

Check this link;

www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s721104.htm

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Thats amazing stuff cheers,so if you stood outside with a large magnet would they all pile out and turn it round:evil:

Thats amazing stuff cheers,so if you stood outside with a large magnet would they all pile out and turn it round:evil:

Reading that link, it seemed they experimented with opening it up and inserting a magnet, this confused them :confused: :-D

Most of them are taller than a man, incredible stuff, not sure how long it took them to build though.

Most of them are taller than a man.

That's one heck of a termite :shake: What?

Wonderful stuff on the airfield, Richard. Makes you realise how vulnerable Australia was during the war - too easy to think of it as being far enough away from any trouble.