Back To The Track

That's one heck of a termite :shake: What?

Wonderful stuff on the airfield, Richard. Makes you realise how vulnerable Australia was during the war - too easy to think of it as being far enough away from any trouble.

:-D I was waiting for Catweazle to spot that......no, I meant the termite mound was bigger than a man. Bloody hell, can you imagine a 6 foot termite, bad enough looking out for crocodiles :shake:

Yes the airfields, I was surprised how far inland the Japs ventured on bombing raids, Katherine was also hit and of course the port of Darwin suffered badly. It was not until after the war, that people in the rest of the country were made aware of this, apparantly it was kept quiet to keep moral up.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
:-D I was waiting for Catweazle to spot that......no, I meant the termite mound was bigger than a man. Bloody hell, can you imagine a 6 foot termite, .

i did but i dont like hogging everthing:-D

:-D I was waiting for Catweazle to spot that......no, I meant the termite mound was bigger than a man. Bloody hell, can you imagine a 6 foot termite, bad enough looking out for crocodiles :shake:

NOOooo, dozed off at the computer, woke up with a start, dreaming about a 6 foot termite but with CW's head:shocked:

Wonderful stuff on the airfield, Richard. Makes you realise how vulnerable Australia was during the war - too easy to think of it as being far enough away from any trouble.

Especially for NOS, some more on Fenton airfield. It starts to bring home how the country was vunerable to enemy action.

The first of a number of air raids on Fenton happened on the 30th June 1943. 27 "Betty" bombers and 23 fighters, were intercepted by Spitfires, of which two Spit pilots were killed. Two men were injured in the raid, four Liberators were destroyed and a lot of equipment was damaged. A week later the Japs attacked again, setting the fuel dumps alight and causing damage to the runway. Australian anti-aircraft crews downed one of the raiders.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lapse here, but to continue where I left off, we had left Fenton Airfield and were moving on to Adelaide River, our stopover of two nights. Most of the convoy were camping on the showground and racecourse, but we were booked in to the Adelaide River Inn ( think possibly the beer was better / colder there :) ). There were motel like rooms at the rear of the pub. We went straight there and booked in to dump our kit and have a beer. I went to make use of the facility in our room and lifted the lid to see a green frog in there :shake:. Was a bit worried what else might be in the room after that!

I noticed two army wreckers hidden under the trees beside the pub, that evening some of the crew were in the pub and we had a few ( read many! ) beers with them. They were part of the exercise, memory a bit dim now, but think they might have been supporting umpires vehicles. Anyway one of the Recy Mechs had been on exchange to the British Army and stationed at Windsor. Knowing a Recy Mech there at that time it broke the ice so to speak.

Next morning we were to visit the Adelaide River War Cemetery, there only two war cemetries in the country. This one is for the civilians and service personnel who were killed in Darwin raids and surrounding area. A bugler played the Last Post and wreathes were laid with the padre giving a speech. After several weeks in rough scrub and desert it was nice to be in beautiful surroundings, with well kept grass and beds around the grave stones.

After leaving the cemetery, I spotted a water buffalo in a paddock nearby, it turned out he was a film star, and called Charlie. He had appeared in the Crocodile Dundee film. Later we visited a motorcycle museum in the township, it was great to see a lot of old British bikes there, that were familiar to me. Went for a drive up the hill overlooking the showground and found the remains of a scrap dump with Chev and Ford engine parts half buried in the ground, whether it dated to wartime activity I do not know, but quite likely. The evening was taken up with an event hosted by the Coomalie community council and the showground society for us at the showground, with an excellent meal. We were presented with a certificate to commemerate the event. An auction took place to sell off remaining convoy number plates. Another Kangaroo Court was held, around this time, something happened that could have put another convoy member in line for a K Court appearance ( luckily that was the last court to take place ). At the showground was a starters tower for the horse race course and two persons who will remain nameless, climbed the tower in the darkness and proceeded to relieve themselves from a great height :-D......one of the Army team saw what happened and I am certain it was a close call for them. After that, we went back to the Inn and had a few more beers before turning in, it would have been rude not to :).

The next day we were to make our way to the small town of Batchelor where we were to spend the night, it was a convoy free day, being a relatively short run of 40 kms and a few wartime sites to explore on the way. The first was Snake Creek Explosives Storage Area, originally built for the Navy. We wandered into Batchelor to find chaos reigning! The nights camp was to be in the Caravan Park, but the manager had thrown a real wobbler, despite all the arrangements being made in advance. One story was that an early arrival of the group had complained about ants dropping from the trees above his pitch. The police had been called and talk of a 9pm curfew. Other arrangements were going to be required, so we pushed on to Howard Springs and spent the night at the caravan site, in a tent. As plans were upset, we had to make other arrangements for the evening so a few of us went to a local bistro for a good meal.

Last leg into Darwin to follow, along with more photos, when I sort them out.

Edited by Richard Farrant
mistake

Here are some pictures to go with the last post;

1 & 2. Adelaide River War Cemetery

3. Charlie the Water Buffalo.......star of Crocodile Dundee film

4. Snake Creek Explosive Storage Area, now disused but still standing

5. The Army support team pose for a group photo at Batchelor

6. Some of the convoy vehicles arrive at Howard Springs campsite, the truck behind is a Chevrolet C60X

click on pictures to enlarge

BTTT- AdRiv cem2.jpg

BTTT- AdRiv cem1.jpg

BTTT- buffalo.jpg

BTTT- snake depot.jpg

BTTT- army team.jpg

BTTT- howardsprings.jpg

And the sun is shining:-DIs that jeep a funny colour?.How long you been on the rd Richard,looks like a lot of fun.

Hi CW,

Sun is shining here at the moment, but still bl**dy cold :-(

I think the vehicles have a good covering of red dust, just like you were going through in Africa. The Jeep was painted in a normal olive drab.

The trip was in two parts, we left Sydney on the special train on 20th July, the train finally arrived in Alice Springs on 28th July.

The convoy run started from Alice Springs on 1st August and arrived in Darwin on 13th August.

Final part coming up later. (waiting to hear more from Africa:))

Cold here to,never went to the boat because of the forecast,as it turned out it probably wouldnt off been to bad.

Next best thing playing all the videos of the last sea trials,volume on max,gives me the shivers.

I thought the jeep looked like it was in gloss,as you say its the climate.

Africa,Finding it harder work than being there,is there enough members still interested.

Do the Bamako City a bit later today.

I would of enjoyed your trip as there was lots of you,ours became a bit lonley.

we would travel a few days and really get to like people and then we were gone

Just shows we really are pack animals.

I'm still following both threads and thoroughly enjoying them, always look forward to seeing new posts.

THats good,are you coming on the THREE OLD DUFFERS CROSS THE SAHARA trip 2010.We are taking a S1 107 x mil with modern engine and box,what yer reckon.:rofl:

It would have to have soft seats, none of those damned original ones :shake:

I didnt say who was going,looks like you just signed up:rofl:got yer.

I am designing seats with an inflatable ring,could be handy at times.:shocked:

and I did not actually say I wanted to go :-D..............so there :rofl:

Not even with the special seats :idea:

286245273_45169822f1.jpg

would you rather go by bus?:cool2:

THats good,are you coming on the THREE OLD DUFFERS CROSS THE SAHARA trip 2010.We are taking a S1 107 x mil with modern engine and box,what yer reckon.:rofl:

Too modern for me,:nono: how about I bring the jimmy and Richard brings the QL?:-D

Too modern for me,:nono: how about I bring the jimmy and Richard brings the QL?:-D

I was only planing a short trip,:rofl:

At least if I took my wagon, I would be assured of a bed inside it, and not on the roof or underneath it :-D. Perhaps you are afraid we might get on better with the big boys trucks and leave your little S1 behind :rofl:

:rofl:He HE Best of luck,now what truck is it,what nationality the troops.what year ,where.:-D

WH2-1Epi-e018b.jpg