Back To The Track

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Hi Richard,i like the mobile cinema,one for nick.i think you are doctoring these pictures

the sun is shining in everyone.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't have a wet day, but, boy was it cold at night for the first few days. I was very lucky with a tin-top and wind up windows in the 1940 Chev Ridemaster Delux Sedan. The Jeep and Dodge drivers had to put up with a strong easterly side wind each morning. They said that it was a very lazy wind. Too lazy to go around you so it went straight through you.

I was not so lucky with the engine. I hadn't put anti-freeze in the cooling system in the rush to fit a new rebuilt engine in the week we left to take part,I had it in the boot to put in but was just too flat out to do it.

With -7c and -8c degrees at night near Alice Springs, my engine suffered frost cracks to two places in the water jacket. Whilst not enought to ruin the engine we kept going with the help of a substance called Irontight.(?). This sealed the cracks and stopped the water leak.

A problem with the brakes was also repaired with the help of the RAEME detatchment who traveled with us.

There was also a Doctor and Nurses with an RAP post every day if you needed them.

Rick

To the second phase of the journey............we had arrived in Alice Springs the previous evening and were all based at a caravan and camp site in the town. As Rick mentioned in a recent post, it was a cold night, although coming from the UK, it was nothing too bad. I distinctly recollect going to the washrooms and seeing several of the vehicle crew members, from Victoria, I think, going in dressed in army greatcoats, to wash and shave. I was wearing.....a teeshirt :-D.

Our arrival in Alice coincided with the grand opening of the Road Transport Hall of Fame. We had been invited to take the vehicles there and on the night before an opening dinner in the museum, it was a who's who of the road transport scene in the Northern Territory, with a number of pioneers to the industry present.

On the day of the grand opening, were formed up for a convoy to the museum, led by three camels, mascots of the Royal Australian Corps of Transport. At the museum, which is well worth visiting if you ever stop in Alice, are a fine selection of trucks, outside is a huge yard with yet more that have been saved and dragged in. On the day, a new addition arrived, an old Foden six wheeler, brought in on an army low loader.

We had three days in Alice Springs and the final day we were able to sort ourselves into packets for the convoy. The Australian Army had supplied support in the shape of a contingent from the Army School of Transport, a Major, Captain and nine personnel and a number of vehicles, inc. a International S-Line recovery transporter. The School of Signals supplied six personnel and vehicles. For medical support, a contingent led by a Major, from 3rd Forward Medical Coy., and two RAEME mechanics from 107th Field Workshops, with a Land Rover Perentie 6x6 workshop truck. At the same time as our arrival, a full scale defence exercise, Kangeroo 95, was underway in the northern part of the country and we were to see a lot of activity. A briefing with the Army and Police explained convoy procedures and to be aware of road trains pulling three semi-trailers. We were under strict instructions to maintain convoy procedures, with a speed of 80 kph, vehicles within packets spaced at 100 metres apart, and each packet, ten minutes apart.

Our vehicle crews formed themselves into eight packets of ten vehicles each, A, B, C, D, E, F, G and Z. This inevitably ended up with packets called "A Team", "F Troop" and "Z Force".

My next instalment is Day One of the long drive................

A few photos at Alice Springs.......

1. Chevrolet C60X 6x6 owned by Fred from Blue Mountains.

2. Lend Lease Chevrolet, driven up from Melbourne.

3. Vernon the Camel, RACT mascot.

4. 1934 AEC government road train, in the Hall of Fame museum, the eight wheel trailer is also with it.

5. My favourite Land Rover, the Perentie 6x6 mobile workshop from RAEME, which followed the convoy.

BTTT - C60.jpg

BTTT - Lendlease Chev.jpg

BTTT - Camel.jpg

BTTT - 1934 AEC.jpg

BTTT - Perentie wksp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Especially for Jack :)

Before we leave the museum at Alice Springs, here is a photo of Kurt Johannsen's road train assembled, the Diamond T would be "Wog" as it still had the cattle body on it. There are three self tracking trailers on it here. Military content: the trailer bogies were made from Carrier trailers, which were for transporting bren gun carriers.

The other photo is of Kurt's car which he used for going out in the bush and desert, it ran on wood. There is always bits of mulga, etc to be found and if gathered up when seen, it could be used as fuel in his gas producer.

BTTT rtrain.jpg

BTTT mulga.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I have more info on this if you are interested.

you betcha was thinking of making a war time one thats not been done yet,could be good for a laugh.

Tues 1st Aug 1995

The convoy is set to leave Alice, under strict Army control. We were given a send off by the Minister for Veteran Affairs. But I and my friend Dave, in his Land Rover, were not to leave with the rest. A participant from Victoria with a Dodge 3 tonner had been taken to hospital, not likely to be able to drive, so were were going back to camp to take his wife into the hospital and move his Dodge to a trucking yard for backloading. By the time this was done, we were well behind, so we had a quiet run North, stopping to offer assistance to a Chev C15, he was just checking his tappets!

We caught up with the RAEME LAD boys in the roadhouse at Aileron, and thought it rude not to join them for a beer.....and sandwich. From here the next stop was Ti Tree, the convoy had stopped for lunch break there and a school visit. The last MV was leaving as we arrived............so we stopped for another beer ( are you seeing the pattern here ? :-D ).

Further up the road, we came across the Army International transporter loading one of the convoy trucks, a Mack, with overheating problems. About 20 kms before our overnight stop, we came across a Jeep and trailer with a generator fault and no power, so towed him into Barrow Creek. This was a place, I learnt a vital lesson, put your tent or campbed up, before you have been to the bar and it is dark :-(. We had an excellent night there, with a good group playing. Trouble was when I decided to turn in, I could not see to assemble the campbed, we were going to have a night under the stars, so ended up in the front of the Landie wrapped in my sleeping bag......

Photos here;

1. My friend Dave's Land Rover 2a

2. Chev C15 - running adjustments

3. Barrow Creek Hotel

4. Kenworth, from the Army School of Transport

5. International S-Liner transporter with Mack onboard

BTTT landie.jpg

BTTT C15.jpg

BTTT Barrow Creek.jpg

BTTT Kenworth.jpg

BTTT IH S-liner.jpg

Richard,

That Mack was in my packet 'B'. We had 15 vehicles from the smallest, a Harley Davidson WLA, to the Mack. The Mack got the great (??) fuel economy of 2.5 miles to the gallon (:cry::cry::cry::cry:). The Mack owner had his back-up vehicle as well. Big enough to carry the Mack and his accommodation block as well. The radiator was cleaned out at Barrow Creek and the Mack continued under it's own power for the rest of the trip. Warren, the Mack driver, passed away about 12 months ago from the big C.

I ahve a photo of the Mack on the Semi but haven't got my scanner working yet.

Rick

Richard,

Warren, the Mack driver, passed away about 12 months ago from the big C.

I ahve a photo of the Mack on the Semi but haven't got my scanner working yet.

Hello Rick,

I am sorry to hear that Warren is no longer with us, it was good to have a few big trucks along, Macks did feature in the wartime convoys.

Any photos you have will be welcomed, please. I spent more time with a video camera.

This is fantastic stuff. More please :tup::

Thanks Snapper, here is today's instalment :)

Forgot to say, the first day's run from Alice to Barrow Creek was 279 Kms. We left Barrow Creek the following day, not an early start, but Dave who I was travelling with, was first away, in order to direct the packets to the lunch stop, which today was to be at Ali-Kurung aboriginal community. This was a bit unnerving as I had visions of Bush Tucker being served up for lunch :shake:. We arrived and got talking to the policeman who was stationed there, a very remote posting. His yard was full of old cars, confiscated for booze running. Alcohol is banned from aboriginal communities. The convoy packets all arrived safely and the meal was a BBQ with salad, and cake afer, so my fears were groundless :).

Next stop was the Devil's Marbles, but on the way, we had time to stop at Wycliffe Wells, then Wauchope, to sample an ice cold beer. At the later establishment, there was a donkey and goat outside the bar! At the Devil's Marbles, a local guide informed us on this natural feature, they are granite boulders up to six metres in diameter, photo at end of this post.

We followed the convoy into the overnight stop at Tennant Creek, which is a small town in a mining area. bit of luxury, stopping in a cabin at the caravan park.

We had a layover here on the following day and displayed the convoy vehicles outside the Civic Centre, followed by a parade around the town led by the local police. In the evening, we were invited to an official reception and dinner at the Civic Hall, with transport by bus, so drinking no problem! The second course of the dinner was scones, to represent those given by the Country Women's Association ladies, 50 years before, to the convoy personnel transiting through the town.

Next day was another layover in the town, and we took the vehicles to the Primary School and High School. I recollect having coffee and biscuits in the staffroom at the High School. The children were full of interest and were very knowledgable on the history of WW2. Spent the evening in the Memorial Club, made another error of judgement, never drink wine and beer :(:-D

Photos;

1. Ali-Curung, convoy parked

2. Ali-Kurung, lunch time for the "Trackers"

3. Ali-Curung, local kids

4. Wauchope, a few relics outside the pub

5. Devil's Marbles and part of the convoy parked.

6. Tennant Creek, on display at Civic Centre

BTTT abo convoy.jpg

BTTT abo lunch.jpg

BTTT abo locals.jpg

BTTT wauchope.jpg

BTTT marbles.jpg

BTTT Tennant Creek.jpg

Well, someone is reading all this, just reached 1,002 viewings :tup::

At this point, I should tell you what vehicles we had on the convoy, give or take an odd one, as this list was one made before the event;

WW2

Willys and Ford jeeps 39

Ford GPA amphibian 2

Blitz 15 cwt truck 9 (this is the Aussie name for a CMP Chev or Ford )

Blitz truck 30 cwt

Blitz truck 60 cwt 5

Studebaker 6x6 4

GMC 6x6

Dodge Weapons Carrier 2

Fargo 3/4 ton truck

Mack truck

Ford 1 ton truck

Chevrolet staff car

Chevrolet cinema van

Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton truck

Austin K2 truck

FWD HAR-1 truck

Chevrolet "lend lease" truck

Harley Davidson m/cycle

Indian m/cycle

Desoto staff car

Post war

Land Rover 2a FFW 109" ex-Aust. Army

Land Rover 2a field ambulance ex-Aust. Army

Holden FB ute ex-Aust. Army

Humber 1 ton 4x4 truck

and 13 vehicles in the Army support contingent

( have I missed any, Rick ? )

Sat. 5th August

We left Tennant Creek ahead of the convoy, in order to direct them in for a short stop to a place called "Churchill's Head". This was a rock that from a certain angle looked like a profile of Winston's head and with a piece of metal pipe in an appropriate position, it looked like he was smoking a cigar. This was something spotted by the wartime convoy crews and was a favourite stop, to have pictures taken. It is a small rocky outcrop in a cutting through which the original track followed. Today it is bypassed by the faster, Stuart Highway, hence why we were directing vehicles off it.

From here we moved on to the site of a wartime staging camp, Banka Banka. The concrete floors to the huts are still there with names written in the concrete as it was laid. Lots of bits of scrap scattered around, vehicle parts, bits of stationary engines, probably pumps and generators, etc. Even found a 1942 dated oil drum.....empty.

Onward to Renner Springs, for lunch in the pub / roadhouse.........the first drink of the day if I recall! After about 250 kms, we reached our overnight stop at a small town called Elliott. Here we would be camping, the first night in the tent. On arrival, we then went up the road to the site of Elliott Staging Camp, again, only a few concrete slabs left. A local lady had organised a short service on the site and had collected a book of old photos taken by the Diggers. There was also a vehicle maintenance depot set up here for the convoys travelling through during the war.

In the evening, we went to the local community area, an open building, the climate getting warmer as we head North. He had a BBQ and entertainment from a singer called Ted Egan. This guy played the Fosterphone.....and empty beer cartoon.....then later changed to a VB carton :-D. Used it like a drum, very entertaining :). It was here that the first Kangeroo Court was held, by Capt. John Putt from the army team. The "guilty bastard" was one of the GPA drivers, Mal, for running over a roadside marker post. The punishment was to buy a bottle of port to share with his fellow packet members. This was the first of several courts through the trip and there were always a few nervous people in the evenings worried that their little misdemeanors might have been spotted.

A great evening..

Photos to go with the previous post;

1. Churchill's Head........maybe not that convincing, probably did not catch it at the right angle.

2. Relics laying at the site of the WW2 Banka Banka Staging Camp

3. Convoy crews and Army at the service on site of Elliott Staging Camp

4. Our Land Rover and tent, at Elliott. The guys next to us had a cabin.......with an electric toaster :) luxury !

BTTT  churchill.jpg

BTTT  banka.jpg

BTTT  elliott service.jpg

BTTT  elliott camp.jpg

Ted Egan has just finished a 3 year stint as the Chief Administrator of the Northern Territory ( Queens Rep).

I Lived in Darwin from 1992 to 1997 so am reading your story with interest as I have traveled this road many times with the Army and family.

My favorite spot was Mataranka springs, which I first visited in 1988 when I drove from Puckapunyal in one of our Mack R600s to pick up a troop of M113s from Katherine.

Ted Egan has just finished a 3 year stint as the Chief Administrator of the Northern Territory ( Queens Rep).

Hi Paul,

Thanks for telling me about Ted Egan, that was quite an honour for him I would imagine. Keep watching, as there will be some photos I'm sure you can comment on.

:tup::

We left Elliott, heading for Larrimah as our next overnight stop, a distance of 234 kms. As usual, Dave and I in his Land Rover, went ahead to direct the packets off the road for the morning halt at Newcastle Waters. We were beginning to see military activity connected with Kangaroo 95 (K-95) exercise, with supply trucks going up and down the Stuart Highway. The Major from the Army team had told us to look out for members of the "Orangeland force", the enemy for the exercise. The public were urged to take part and report anything suspicious. The Orangelanders were actually Australian troops in Gulf War type uniform. Traffic being quite sparse on this road, you tend to observe each vehicle as it passes. While waiting for the first packet to arrive, I had noted several hired Toyota Land Cruisers heading North with only a driver, who appeared youngish. Wondering if it might be "enemy" infiltrating, I mentioned it to the Army and it appeared that other reports confirmed this. Dave and I were to be reported as "enemy" a few days later, by a member of the public, whilst parked outside a silver mine :-D

Back to Newcastle Waters, not much there, but a cattle station breeding Brahma cattle. The original settlement buildings now lying empty. We did find the upturned remains of a Carrier, which had been well stripped for parts and sheet steel. From here we drove to Daly Waters for the lunch stop in the pub, also visited the old aerodrome there, which was used by aircraft of the RAAF, Netherlands East Indies Air Force and USAAF during the War. The hangar is preserved and has a small display in there, also the remains of a C-47 that crashed on take off in 1956. We were running behind the convoy packets now, with Army support following at the rear. On the way we came across Bob from Western Australia, with his FWD tractor unit on the side of the road with cooling problems, a short wait and Army low loader arrived to recover the FWD. The driver of this outfit had become known as "The Grim Reaper", although I only recollect him making two recoveries on the run. Seem to recollect visiting the site of an Australian Field Hospital along here, but I did not write it in my diary.

On arrival at Larrimah township, we were to stay in the campsite. During the war, a railway from the north terminated here at its southern most point. The convoys from Alice would offload here on to the trains, so it was an important military base during WW2, serving as a railhead and major staging area. There was also a BIPOD facility here, Bulk Issue Petrol and Oil Depot. Lots of traces of all this military activity still to be seen.

There was a short service conducted at Larrimah that evening, of one of the army drivers who served on "The Track", as it was called, during the War. He had passed away only recently and another veteran driver scattered his ashes on the rail track.

Walking around, the campsite I came across an enclosure surrounded by a wire fence, in the middle was a salt water crocodile, some people said it was not real, but later I saw it move :shake:. After a meal of damper and stew, I spent the night in the tent wondering what if "salty" escaped :(. Also, outside of the site, was a large part of the wing of a B-25 Liberator, from a nearby airfield.

Photos to follow...................

Here are the pics to accompany previous post.......

1. Army roadtrain travelling South. A International S-Liner with 3 trailers backloading another roadtrain.

2. "A Pub With No Beer".......Junction Hotel, Newcastle Waters, opened in 1930, closed in 1975.

3. Army recovering the FWD HAR-1 after it overheated.

4. DeSoto staff car outside Larrimah Hotel

5. Laurie's Chevrolet C30, these trucks are locally known as a Blitz.

6. Hundreds of Galahs on the wires at Larrimah.

7. Old railway crane at the disused Larrimah station.

click on pictures to enlarge

BTTT  army roadtrain.jpg

BTTT  pub.jpg

BTTT  FWD recvy.jpg

BTTT  Larrimah hotel.jpg

BTTT  Chev C30.jpg

BTTT  galahs.jpg

BTTT  crane.jpg