Back To The Track

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing stuff Richard - you need to write this all up and have it printed! Great memoir to pass down through the family....

Thanks Jack. I am never sure how interested others are on this sort of thing. The strange thing was that it was not widely known about outside of Australia, before the event. I saw a display showing brief details at Beltring 12 months before, but the scale of the event evolved nearer the time, when the Dept. of Veteran Affairs, Army and rail operators covering the whole route, came on board in a big way. One of the participants, Warren Brown ( now a co-host of Top Gear Australia ), produced a souvenier book after the event, listing everyone in it, with photos of many during the trip, along with all the vehicles and sights. It was laid out as a diary of each days happenings. This helped me fill in gaps in my own notes. There was a lot more I could have written but did not want to bore people with things that they might not find interesting. Feedback and replies helps so that you can get a feel of the interest.

The next story is related and took place 5 years later as a reunion, but there were a number of new participants that had missed out on the first one..........and it is much more off-road, after the first few days......just to keep CW happy :).

I am never sure how interested others are on this sort of thing.

Very interested Richard, I have been very interested, I had never heard of anything like it, taking part must have been so much fun and we have all had a taste of it now! Thanks for putting it all on here.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Hi Richard,i think there is a lot of people interested no doubt about that.Just look at how many hits your story had.I think we were lucky to do what we did when we did

I fear it may not be so easy today to have these adventures with the relative ease we had.I take your point about feedback and replies if there are none you have to assume there is no interest,i suspect a lot of people read but have nothing to contribute.

Hi Richard,i think there is a lot of people interested no doubt about that.Just look at how many hits your story had.I think we were lucky to do what we did when we did

I fear it may not be so easy today to have these adventures with the relative ease we had.I take your point about feedback and replies if there are none you have to assume there is no interest,i suspect a lot of people read but have nothing to contribute.

Hi CW,

Yes to enjoy some of these things you do not have to leave it too late in life, so I was lucky that these opportunities came along at the right time, as with you Africa trip no doubt. As yourself and Lee have pointed out, the thread has had a great number of hits, so must be popular. I always enjoy hearing of other peoples vehicular exploits. About seven years back I was approached by friend in to entering for the Peking to Paris Rally, in of all things, a 1930 fire engine. The thought of it was wonderful, but reality kicks in when you work out the cost, time involved and all sort of logistical problems, nice to be asked though. My friend did do the journey, but with a slightly different approach. Another story and not quite MV orientated.

Now come on, lets hear more from Africa, wind up the heating and get in the mood :rofl:

Isnt it strange some wear shorts and some longs,we allways changed to longs in the evening,supose it could be thats all they had.

talking of the desert a client of mines father came in today to look at the mil vehicles,just a trip down memory lane.He was in from the 60s up to the Falklands,He gave me a couple of nice books and some scanned pics of

champ leading a column of pigs(humber)but he was working with the saudi defence force driving a Prototype LRDG L/rover with 50 cal mount.Trying to convince the Saudis to buy them.I must try get more and better copies from him,he has lots of BAOR,and Falklands.He had a great time kept patting the champ bonnet,Didnt have a good word for the 101s.

CW,Pictures of vehicles in service.... get em on the forum!

By the way Richard, have read this thread from start to finish, excellent stuff........only marred by captain birdseyes ramblings :-D

CW,Pictures of vehicles in service.... get em on the forum!

By the way Richard, have read this thread from start to finish, excellent stuff........only marred by captain birdseyes ramblings :-D

I am hoping to convince the gentleman to copy the pictures instead of poor prints ,and hopefully many more so be patient.Capt Birdseye?:blush:

Thats it get me into trouble.It helps to make things more like real life,Nothing more boring than sticking to the path someone else marks out for you.

AS they say in Africa,It takes a whole village to raise a child.

Sorry off topic,Adam started it.:-D