How long have you been in the MV.....

Lord Burley

World??.I suspect Mr Farrant,will have been the longest.Myself,i am coming up to 22 years.I think a lot on here will have been a lot less.Was surprised that not a lot of people from here knew who Bart Vanderveen was?.With his excellent quaterly magazine Wheels and Tracks,he was an authority on anything in the MV world.

World??.I suspect Mr Farrant,will have been the longest.Myself,i am coming up to 22 years.I think a lot on here will have been a lot less.Was surprised that not a lot of people from here knew who Bart Vanderveen was?.With his excellent quaterly magazine Wheels and Tracks,he was an authority on anything in the MV world.

Thanks Mark,

I have just received my 30 year badge from MVT, but did have a couple of ex-military motorcycles before that. there will be a few on here who have been in the movement longer, WOA2 Robert Davey I think.......( sounds like a rank :)).

Bart Vanderveen had a vast amount of knowledge on the MV subject, never known him make a mistake in his published work. For those that do not know him or have never read copies of Wheels & Tracks, I suggest they seek out any old copies, well worth reading.

Mark, sorry not to have caught up with you at Beltring, Catweazle said you were looking for me.

Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

Thanks Mark,

I have just received my 30 year badge from MVT, but did have a couple of ex-military motorcycles before that. there will be a few on here who have been in the movement longer, WOA2 Robert Davey I think.......( sounds like a rank :)).

Bart Vanderveen had a vast amount of knowledge on the MV subject, never known him make a mistake in his published work. For those that do not know him or have never read copies of Wheels & Tracks, I suggest they seek out any old copies, well worth reading.

Mark, sorry not to have caught up with you at Beltring, Catweazle said you were looking for me.

Richard

No doubt our paths will cross at some point.Are you going to Mayhem??.I did want to have a chat with you about some of the I.M.P.S members who were about,when i first got involved,who dont seem to be about anymore,a few names will bring back memories.Steve Wright,Trevor Boreham,Bernie and Eddie Slater,Tony Graves,who prided himself on having that Diamond T,still with the Hercules engine in it.I believe he has a holiday villa in France now??.Billy Armitage.I know he,s still about.He helps Tony Sudds out from time to time on the stall.He had a beautiful Saracen.Also do you remember a fella called Tony??.Had a champ with the words Simba Hunter across the front of it??.Got some pics of it some where??.A larger than life character,who if i'm right got nicked coming back in to Heathrow with illegal ammunition he bought in the states.

Something like 27 years in to Land Rovers with an accidental drift in to the MV world about 22 years ago. Met Paul about then and the MMVG sort of came about. Totally got out of hand since with the ocaissional comment of 'it was so much easier when we just had Land Rovers'

Like the pic of Catweazle, have ancient pics of MMVG members on tour in Holland and Belgium 20 years ago!

Something like 27 years in to Land Rovers with an accidental drift in to the MV world about 22 years ago. Met Paul about then and the MMVG sort of came about. Totally got out of hand since with the ocaissional comment of 'it was so much easier when we just had Land Rovers'

Like the pic of Catweazle, have ancient pics of MMVG members on tour in Holland and Belgium 20 years ago!

Did you ever do the show at Carver Barracks??,I'm sure some of your lot did?.

I did want to have a chat with you about some of the I.M.P.S members who were about,when i first got involved,who dont seem to be about anymore,a few names will bring back memories.Steve Wright,Trevor Boreham,Bernie and Eddie Slater,Tony Graves,who prided himself on having that Diamond T,still with the Hercules engine in it.I believe he has a holiday villa in France now??.Billy Armitage.I know he,s still about.He helps Tony Sudds out from time to time on the stall.He had a beautiful Saracen.Also do you remember a fella called Tony??.Had a champ with the words Simba Hunter across the front of it??.

Hi Mark,

I might well go to Military Mayhem, although not booked a vehicle in yet. Will look out for you.

Steve W, I have not seen for about 8 or 9 years although he was seen by a friend in Surrey a little while ago. Trevor, Bernie and Eddie not seen for a long time. Have seen Tony G at Dorset Steam Fair several times and he popped up at Beltring last week. I do remember Tony with the Champ, not heard of since then. Billy A, I recall had a CMP Bofors tractor, before having one of the first privately owned Ferrets, a French Army one, then a Pig before getting the Saracen. Not seen him this year.

Richard

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Thats Radar from M.A.S.H.

Talks cheap cmon lets see a picture,expect you were:-D in a nappy then.

I missed Carver Barracks but heard it was interesting! The group in an early form were there.

SCIMITARDEBDEN.jpg

I'm sure this guy in the top of the Scimitar nearest to camera was part of your group??.I remember them coming up in a gaggle of 109,s and LtWt,s all nicely turned out.No 101,s there as i think Paul had the only one,and i'm sure he wasnt there.

First started getting involved with MV's in 1989 when brother Neil (Deuceman) bought a Dodge WC51, but I was only 14 so didn't join the MVT to a few years later - I forget when exactly, but have a 10 years + badge made out of milk bottle tops and a 6000 membership number.

As a matter of interest, an MV enthuiast to inspire me from that age was in fact Rex Ward, (Past MVT Safety Officer and Retired Chairman) although I have never actually told him personally. My father and uncle had a GMC 352 and one of the very first shows we attended was at Castle Coombe Racing Circuit. When we left, we travelled back along the M4 to the Hungerford junction and I rode with Rex and Shelia Ward in their Amphib Dukw. I thought to myself, "I'm gonna have one of these beauties one day." Less than 10 years later and at under 25 I had my own!

For those who have read the post 'A Very Special Mission' in Other Chatter, it will be known that I flew aboard Liberty Belle last week - As I looked over Don Brooks shoulder from the flight-deck after we had taken off, I said the same thing to myself that I had said when on the M4 back in 1989 - but somehow I doubt the reality of this particular ambition!!

The MV movement has been very good to me though over the years and I often think how lucky I have been to have an active interest that is not only an excellent social hobbie, but also so rewarding in so many other ways (spin-off's) - Without which, I wouldn't have flown last week or met so many interesting people over the years.

Deuceman is to blame of course - Coming home with a WC51 when we were all perfectly happy building model railways.......................!

Cds

First started getting involved with MV's in 1989 when brother Neil (Deuceman) bought a Dodge WC51, but I was only 14 so didn't join the MVT to a few years later - I forget when exactly, but have a 10 years + badge made out of milk bottle tops and a 6000 membership number.

As a matter of interest, an MV enthuiast to inspire me from that age was in fact Rex Ward, (Past MVT Safety Officer and Retired Chairman) although I have never actually told him personally. My father and uncle had a GMC 352 and one of the very first shows we attended was at Castle Coombe Racing Circuit. When we left, we travelled back along the M4 to the Hungerford junction and I rode with Rex and Shelia Ward in their Amphib Dukw. I thought to myself, "I'm gonna have one of these beauties one day." Less than 10 years later and at under 25 I had my own!

For those who have read the post 'A Very Special Mission' in Other Chatter, it will be known that I flew aboard Liberty Belle last week - As I looked over Don Brooks shoulder from the flight-deck after we had taken off, I said the same thing to myself that I had said when on the M4 back in 1989 - but somehow I doubt the reality of this particular ambition!!

The MV movement has been very good to me though over the years and I often think how lucky I have been to have an active interest that is not only an excellent social hobbie, but also so rewarding in so many other ways (spin-off's) - Without which, I wouldn't have flown last week or met so many interesting people over the years.

Deuceman is to blame of course - Coming home with a WC51 when we were all perfectly happy building model railways.......................!

Cds

Any pics from last weeks flight??.

My first MV was a Champ way back in 1966 ! err 42 years ago, followed by an M43 Dodge ambulance and my first Jeep in 1969, assisted the late John Cater of steam fair fame in promoting the first ever UK Military vehicle show at Shottesbrooke nr. Maidenhead in 1970? I think...

Edited by Nick Johns