Military Odyssey, Detling, Kent

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I think Marks refering to the history some of us have with the organiser,we have been over it on here before,not a vehicle show,Great for re inactors,enjoy.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Shall be there for the duration, oh yes and the beer!!!

Hello mate where you bin,see you at Beltring?

I've been in Malta again, only been back 2 weeks and they want me to go again, it's a hard life you know!

Had a few probs with the Dodge overheating but it's now cured, so will be at Beltring from this Sunday in the IMPS Weald area with occasional trips to the beer tent.

At Detling you'll mainly find me slaving over a hot stove in the WW1 encampment.

I've been in Malta again, only been back 2 weeks and they want me to go again, it's a hard life you know!

Had a few probs with the Dodge overheating but it's now cured, so will be at Beltring from this Sunday in the IMPS Weald area with occasional trips to the beer tent.

At Detling you'll mainly find me slaving over a hot stove in the WW1 encampment.

My heart bleeds. Still got another Army Bialladin pressure lamp , so no excuse that its to dark to make breackfast :-D

• 2 weeks later...

This will be the first Odyssey I've missed due to commitments here which is a shame as I've always enjoyed it despite the hard work putting all the MMVG kit up. It is a show for re-enactors and displays and as Tony says, the MVs are props.

The best one was about 3 years ago when they sold Skullcrusher in the beer tent, Saturday afternoon was a write off after 5 pints lunchtime!

Can't get to MM either, hopefully next year they will still be on consecutive weekends and I'll come over for both.

looking forward to Detling this year as I have not been for three years and also because from Detling on satueday its a night in a motel and then early eurostar to Calais and a steady drive down to Ivy House Normandy to torture the family with another weeks ww2 history lessons ,I bet they cant wait either

Nigel

Since going to the show from the start I have noticed less and less groups and vehicle owners going, all seam to have something to moan about, organiser seam less interested in helping groups out with anything they might need, want to charge us for pyro and blanks to put on a battle in the arena for their paying public to watch. Obviously us all taking days of work some unpaid, fuel bill for vehicles food, cost of kit etc wasn't enough for them. Don't get me wrong we don't ever expect to be payed for a event but not add roughly another £100 to the cost of the weekend per member for their benefit. On top of the that the weapons we hired were useless and they were told this and they decided to blame us for not knowing how to use them but when I pointed out we used another firearms supplier for other shows and his weapons worked perfect they went silent very quick. That's just some of the problems. I go to alot of shows and I've never heard so many re-enactors or vehicle owners moan about one show so much.

Since going to the show from the start I have noticed less and less groups and vehicle owners going, all seam to have something to moan about, organiser seam less interested in helping groups out with anything they might need, want to charge us for pyro and blanks to put on a battle in the arena for their paying public to watch. Obviously us all taking days of work some unpaid, fuel bill for vehicles food, cost of kit etc wasn't enough for them. Don't get me wrong we don't ever expect to be payed for a event but not add roughly another £100 to the cost of the weekend per member for their benefit. On top of the that the weapons we hired were useless and they were told this and they decided to blame us for not knowing how to use them but when I pointed out we used another firearms supplier for other shows and his weapons worked perfect they went silent very quick. That's just some of the problems. I go to alot of shows and I've never heard so many re-enactors or vehicle owners moan about one show so much.
I think you will find,that they are only interested in the money that comes through the gate.Not interested in the various groups,and vehicles that make the show,and this is seeming more and more evident over the last couple of years.Best thing to do,would be for all the groups,to boycott it!.

• 8 months later...

Looks like it's still going down-hill...

Posted 2 days ago on the WW2 Forum..

Hi all , just to let the british ww2 groups know that the cut off date to get your paperwork in is 31st march , there is at the moment only 2 british groups that have handed the paper work back , so if you are planning to be in the british camp you know who you are then please get your paper work in , military odyssey said there will be no exceptions if its not in on time they wont except it ... thanks

Bookings also closed on the 30th March for MV's...

Edited by Marmite!!

• 1 month later...

Well, I forgot to post my entry until the first week of April (yeah: I know, I know...) so we'll have to wait and see what happens. If entry numbers are down will they accept latecomers, or will it be a case of cutting off noses to spite faces? If the paying public are faced with half-empty fields they're not likely to come back.