Help needed with a BARV

agripper

I have a Centurion BARv and it has been run every 2 weeks but the last time went to start it , she starts to turn a neutral left on the started , but as soon as you engage the clutch this stops . Does anyone know of a easy fix for this or is it a gear box out job.. Also looking for a cheap source of spark plugs for the same.

:sweat:

When you say "as soon as you engage the clutch this stops" do you mean take your foot off the clutch pedal or disengage the clutch by putting your foot on the pedal?

It can't neutral turn with your foot on the clutch unless the clutch is not disengaging but the most likely cause is the RIGHT side steering brake stuck on. The left lever works the right brake. The steering brakes are the inner drums, closest to the gearbox.

If you can't adjust the shoes of free off the mechanism, linkage or shoes, then it is a gearbox out job. ISTR you can ease the drums off a bit before they hit the stopping brake drums, it may give you enough but if the shoes are stuck on, you wont remove the drum.....

Hope this helps and hope I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs!

Yep, it will be the right hand steering brake then! You should be able to just rock the drum backwards and forwards a small amount if the brake is free, obviously not with the engine running! If unable to move it at all, it is probably the shoes stuck or dragging.

It could be the linkage though, you won't know till you start checking.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

The BARV is back on form once again, Getting the shoes freed was a long job though. Hope to get to War and Peace next week with the BARV. Have been told that there will be 2 other centurions there. If anyone going say hi.:yay:

• 2 weeks later...

My BARV is now at Doncaster Air Museum for those interested. Took it there last weekend with the help of Frank of M B Heavy Haulage who gave me a very good price which could not be better for service. I am sure he is known to alot of you out there.

Never seen one. Looks like you've got a handful there. Hopefully you'll be able to display it at some events if your wallet holds...Now we know what you've got we can get you to clear the golf balls out of the lake at the back of the HMVF course. Lee knows what it's like to be Bunkered. I'm going off topic again...

Please post up some snaps of your toy as and when....

MB

Edited by Snapper
typo

I had planned to take it to war and peace this year but had a few stangs which stopped my. I do hope to take it out about 3 times a year funds allowing. One show is close to home the Sheffield steam rally which has a large play pen which you can run it around. if I can will tkae it to the victory show and do plan to take it to war and peac next year. want to see it next to teh Sherman BARV. Will put up some photos when I get chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Madcow is not me she is my partner but we use the same handle posting . right got that sorted. At the moment i an restoreing a saladin pics on site, More relivent to this thread .

I am the plonker who bought rex cadmans dead cenurion, i was hopeing to get it all sorted for this year but as i didnt take it that means its not done. My scammell took time and the year just went somewhere ! I am going to finish the saladin by xmass hopefully and then its the cent. I have to give rex the engine back for his comet so i am going to diesel it still useing the original box .I am not so sure about the clutch i may use the clutch on the diesel engine by keeping the bellhousing and make a prop from the box stright into the clutchplate and into the spigot. i am in need of a few bits bazooker plates off the side a piece of tin work with a support a full set of periscopes.

The last pic is how i want it to look lol!

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

uk10632.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

Centurion13.jpg