HGV license for mv...?

AFAIK they are exempt but I'd advise a little tuition from Lawson, different ball game to a rigid especially with that single axle trailer:)

Funny enough - I used pull around 30' trailers when I was 16 with a Fordson Major :sweat:

Jack,

the exemption from plating and testing, i.e. pre 1960, used unladen, also exempts from needing a class 1 or C+E as it is now.

I have buried in my head somewhere a snippet that an artic unit, if towing a trailer, is not unladen as the trailer is part of the load of the unit but I think this may just be wrong!

Adrian

ok, this is a tricky one; for vehicle licencing, yes, you should be exempt if you meet the criteria, a leaflet for which may be found at http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf34.pdf (remember to right click and "Save As", since it's a pdf!)

As regards the driving licence requirements, this is a damn sight more tricky, as this leaflet shows: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf52.pdf (remember to right click and "Save As", since it's a pdf!)

If it was a classic bus (a PCV) you wanted to drive, I think I'm correct in saying that no special licence is required; However, if I'm reading this correctly, you are asking if you can drive an articulated classic LGV on a car driving licence. Having carefully read, several times, the leaflet, it is my belief that you will, say again will, require a full LGV (with Trailer entitlement) licence to drive the vehicle on public roads.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Edited by Redcap
Spelling!

Jack,

I have buried in my head somewhere a snippet that an artic unit, if towing a trailer, is not unladen as the trailer is part of the load of the unit but I think this may just be wrong!

Adrian

The trailer is not counted as a 'load' and neither is the tarpauline and tools, but almost anything else is.

You can drive a pre 1960 Artic unit with an unladen trailer connected, but both the Artic unit and the trailer must be unladen. If you have a deck chair, an airbed or a tent with you Or even a knife fork and spoon, then you are laden and you cannot drive it!

As regards the driving licence requirements, this is a damn sight more tricky, as this leaflet shows: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf52.pdf (remember to right click and "Save As", since it's a pdf!)

If it was a classic bus (a PCV) you wanted to drive, I think I'm correct in saying that no special licence is required; However, if I'm reading this correctly, you are asking if you can drive an articulated classic LGV on a car driving licence. Having carefully read, several times, the leaflet, it is my belief that you will, say again will, require a full LGV (with Trailer entitlement) licence to drive the vehicle on public roads.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I disagree. The exemption is clearly listed in 2.1 (l)

Funny enough - I used pull around 30' trailers when I was 16 with a Fordson Major :sweat:

Well the principle's the same Jack and it will, no doubt, stand you in good stead but those single axle trailers have a mind of their own:evil:

Try the 4 wheelers with an axle at each end :shake: We had a guy at college called Pete Mountain, who was the pig man. He'd been in the RAF and driven the QL with a trailer fore and aft. He could make any trailer damn near dance. I always envied his skill.

(unless its a shepherds living van on iron wheels and 'turntable front axle.....:sweat:)...little trailers are a pain in the ............:argh:

Andy - strange as it is - O sold my shepherd hut to by my GMC :-D

For them saying 'What?' A chineses six has the twin axles at the front. Showing our ages now mate. The other joy was tractors with independent wheel brakes. You had to move both feet back and put your heel on the individual brake levers. Led to some intresting moments.

Perhaps I should have explained Tony, I suppose a Bedford VAL would come to mind for you. I assume the tractor you are referring to is the 'Little Grey Fergie' or 'Fergie Bach' as we call it, still in use on some farms in this area, they were a revolution in design and streets ahead of anything else on the market at the time.

Andy - strange as it is - O sold my shepherd hut to by my GMC :-D

Couldn't believe the prices being asked for them, now;.......:shocked::shake:

Guess its the same as other 'marques',.........stuff left to rot in hedges/fields etc, have suddenly got valuable.

Remember doing a stint lambing, wiltshire way, and accomodation was shepherds van, with stove,.............Blimey, ended up sleeping out side, as it got way too warm in there. :sweat::sweat:

Billiant things, though; sitting on the top step, as dawn broke, with a mug of tea in me fist,..........:-D:-D. Simple pleasures.

Fergie Bach? so which side of Offa's dike are you then? Did you ever see or try the 9 yard plough? To be exact you didn't buy a tractor you bought the Ferguson system.

The Conwy valley side:) 9 yard plough:confused: We've still got some of the implements that my father in law had with his Fergie, a sawbench which is still in use, the frame of a 2 furrow plough which he modified to use Ransomes bodies and shares and in the scrap pile the remains of at least two transport boxes and a fore end loader. The loader had pull rams as opposed to the usual push type and many years ago I sold them to my brother in law who converted them for use with a porta power and they were used to rip cars apart to free the occupants after RTA's. We probably had other stuff but the memory fails as usual.

Hiya again :)

Best bet, then, give them a phone call on Tuesday (tommorrow being a bank holiday and all!)

Cheers, enjoy the weekend!

But do NOT - under any circumstances - expect them to honour anything they tell you over the phone when it comes to the crunch!!!!

Not at all bitter and twisted regarding the DVLA am I?????? :-(

• 2 years later...
But do NOT - under any circumstances - expect them to honour anything they tell you over the phone when it comes to the crunch!!!!

Not at all bitter and twisted regarding the DVLA am I?????? :-(

Correct, it should always be in black and white.