Toad launch

This Toad had nothing to do with Catweazle :-D.........it was in fact the unveiling of the latest restoration by RR Services, of a Churchill mine flail, called a Toad.

For those that did not see the tv news item of it today, take a look at this link;

www.bbc.co.uk/southeasttoday/latest_stories/index.shtml

go to the picture at top left, "South East Today"......."see latest programme in full"........and click WATCH NOW

it is a 30 minute programme but fast forward to just before 22 minutes. Watch out for the guy in green jacket in opening shot.....:)

That is incredible. What an amazing piece of history and restoration job. Does anyone know what state/history it was in before the restoration?

Does the Wheatcroft collection have one?

Reckin we need to ask snapper to do an HMVF Interview with R&R! Would be a great insight.

- was that 007 in the green jacket??

That is incredible. What an amazing piece of history and restoration job. Does anyone know what state/history it was in before the restoration?

Does the Wheatcroft collection have one?

Reckin we need to ask snapper to do an HMVF Interview with R&R! Would be a great insight.

- was that 007 in the green jacket??

Jack,

This is the only remaining Toad in captivity. There are no others left.

I remember this actual vehicle standing on display in the Junior Leaders Royal Engineers barracks in Dover about 25 years ago and it was rough then. Since then it has passed around a couple of army museums, but the work needed was immense.

The history is that they were conversions of old Churchills done in the mid-1950's, and never saw any active service, just training use. As for the state it was in, there was several hundred gallons of water in the hull, with both engines submerged and they were in a bad state. I had a small part in the job and can say that practically every piece of sheet metal on the outside, has had to be refabricated.

As the Editor of a certain mv mag was seen there, I guess an article will appear in a future issue.

007.....who is he? Think you will find that person was 071 :)

...erm, I am really over the moon with owning a GMC but may be some folks take the hobby a bit too far......

http://www.milvehtechfound.com/inventory/biglist.html

Thats an inaccurate list sir!!! The OT-90 is missing from the list of APC's as well as Amphibians. And the Stalwart is missing from the list of Amphibians.

Not that I'm in any way biased in looking for these vehicles there......:):):)

• 1 month later...
What a pity it has now left to live in U.S.A. ! Don't get me wrong its great to see it restored but I don,t suppose I,ll ever get to see it in the flesh now ! :cry:

You will get to see it Andy. :)

Apparantly it has not been shipped out yet and is billed to appear at War & Peace Show

Thought I'd better add a couple more pictures of the Toad during restoration. It had just been collected from the sandblasters, and was dragged off the low loader and pushed in the workshop using the Berliet wrecker. The tracks then removed for blasting.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

Picture 018.jpg