Where can you buy Scammell Pioneer DVD ?

6 X 6

A few days ago I suggested that MadRat might like to get the Video/DVD that is a copy of a war-time training film featuring the Scammell Pioneer. It shows in detail how to use the winch, how to do a suspended tow etc. trouble is, I can't remember where you can buy a copy. Could someone a bit more on the ball than me post details of how to get a copy for the benefit of MadRat and anyone else who might be interested. Thanks.

There was somebody at Stoneleigh a couple of years ago selling the film on VHS. There were also some other Army films on VHS. I seem to remember they had 'The New Lot' on VHS aswell - could try looking through MVT magazines/Newsletters?

Thanks guys, I've found a reference to it on this link:

http://freespace.virgin.net/scammell.man/books2.html

The Nynehead books website doesn't list it anymore. I've emailed them to ask the question.

gritineye do you have the facility to make a copy of the video? I would be more than happy to compensate you for the trouble! :cool2:

Thanks,

Duncan

Update: Spoke to someone at Nynehead books, very helpful but unfortunately the video is no longer produced :cry: so sad..

Edited by madrat
spelling error!

gritineye do you have the facility to make a copy of the video? I would be more than happy to compensate you for the trouble! :cool2:

Thanks,

Duncan

I haven't tried yet, I think it can be done through some camcorders but not the type I have, think I need a video capture card. I have a few VHS that I would like to transfer so I will look into it.

I recently had about a dozen vids converted to DVD by these people, who I think charge a reasonable amount, and the DVD's came back within 3 days. Once you have the DVD I think it's relatively easy to make further copies on your own computer. (if you've got one that can do that !)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WE-TRANSFER-CONVERT-VHS-OR-CAMCORDER-CASSETTE-TO-DVD_W0QQitemZ320248781507QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2288QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• 9 months later...

Hello,

did somenone eventually make a dvd from the video "scammell recovery" ?

I've contacted both "Nynehead books" and Beulah but neither are selling this video / DVD any more. :cry:

I would really appriciate it if i could get a copy. Can anyone help ?

Best regards,

Glenn

you CAN get this on a dvd,.......but be prepaired to PAY......:sweat:I contacted IWM a while age looking to get the series...............after picking meself up off floor, I found copy's of scammell recovery, armoured recovery and driver (softskin) training video's on ebay,............still want the dispatch (motorcycle training ) and beach recovery ones..........then I'll get all transferred to DVD.

So they are out there,..........case of being lucky, I guess. :)

If I can help, give me a shout.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

We recently took delivery of three of the Scammell training films from the IWM. The quality of them is top hole.

The reference numbers were SKC 238, 241 and 264.

Scammell recovery vehicle: Dragging a tank out of a hole on a 2:1 pull and suspended tows. Somes really cracking detail shots in this one including what looks like some Scammell footage of a Pioneer without its bodywork explaining how the winch operates.

Recovery vehicles: Talks about some trailers but some really good stuff on the 20 and 30 ton Pioneers - including the painful process of separating the trailer from the tractor.. There is also some stuff on the 40 ton trailers towed by Diamond Ts if you are into that sort of thing.

Simple 5:1 Recovery. Painfully detailled recovery of a Churchill in a gully by dragging it out sideways on a 5:1 pull. Then putting its track back on.

The thing which surprised me most about all of these films is that they are all made with quite a sense of humour. I was expecting them to be dust dry but I suppose they had to hold the viewers' attention somehow.

The cost of having these put onto DVD was about £55 including VAT. The only minor drawback was we had to sign something saying that we wouldn't make any copies of them. Your name is on the chapter title so they'd know where you got it from.

Worth every penny.

IIRC total running time is around 1hr 20 mins. They are on one DVD as one chapter.

I'd agree the price seems a bit strong but you don't get many hours of work for that these days.

Edited by Jimh

I have digital copies of the Scammell Recovery film (including trailers and Churchill recovery) and the Armoured Recovery film. There is nothing to identify the source so, if they are out of copyright, I don't see why we shouldn't share them around.

I have digital copies of the Scammell Recovery film (including trailers and Churchill recovery) and the Armoured Recovery film. There is nothing to identify the source so, if they are out of copyright, I don't see why we shouldn't share them around.

Sounds good to me Croc,

Pity HMVF is no longer running. Will it be a youtube search soon then?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...