GMC - white smoke....

Jack

The way fuel prices are rising at the moment I think a lot of shows are going to suffer, people are going to be very selective, I won't be going to Kemble or any other long distance shows, RTV and a couple of fairly local shows are going to be my limit this year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at doing Bovi event,...........in Bedford, works out about 200 miles each way. :shake:

Crikey Andy, 200 miles each way :confused:. What route do you take? It is only 180 miles for me and I am much further East than you. Just checked as an example, Eastbourne to Bovvy is about 132 miles. Does that make you feel better :)

Don't remind me, the return trip to RTV and the convoys equals over 500 miles for me, cheapest petrol round here is just under 110p per litre and will probably be nearer 115p by the time I fuel up for the trip on wednesday.

Yep I have the Plains do this weekend and that's a fair old hike for me there and back, but the way I look at it, is this is my hobby and there are a few spares to buy to keep the vehicles going and then there's the fuel to get you there and that's about it, there are many other hobbies which involve more hidden costs, its just that when you pull up to a petrol station and stick in £90 in one go it seems bad.... but think of the fun you get out of that £90.

The places you get to, the people you meet, it's not all bad.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

To be honest thats why i shifted to the champ,i have to admire you chaps running petrol heavies,i think all the shows will suffer,maybe the organisers of some of the profit making shows will have to pay attendance money,now theres a novel idea.every one down to the local councills ripping people off for the beer licence will lose out.pleased about that one tho.

We should think ourselves lucky. Warbird owners pay out four figure sums per hour just on insurance, never mind fuel and other running costs!! Petrol prices are bad, but there are plently more mundane hobbies ( golf club membership, football season tickets etc ) that aren't exactly cheap, and don't get heads turning like MV's do!

Steve

Yep I have the Plains do this weekend and that's a fair old hike for me there and back, but the way I look at it, is this is my hobby and there are a few spares to buy to keep the vehicles going and then there's the fuel to get you there and that's about it, there are many other hobbies which involve more hidden costs, its just that when you pull up to a petrol station and stick in £90 in one go it seems bad.... but think of the fun you get out of that £90.

The places you get to, the people you meet, it's not all bad.

Not to mention watching the faces of those around you as you stand there pumping in £90 (or whatever the cut-off point at your local garage is) of fuel then proceed to put the pump back, pick it up again and stick another £90 in.

Then tell the person that invariably asks that "No , that's not a full tank, only about a third of a tank"!!!

Priceless!! :):)

Always fancied pulling up to a pump and grabbing 2 fuel pump handles and using both...

petrol stations don't half get jittery, when after filling up the one tank, I then either move vehicle of grab opposite pump to fill other tank. :-D

have actually had to go and pay for one lot before they'd allow me to fill other one.............:argh:; needless to say I don't use that particular station now, except when in something VERY MUDDY,.....then I use their jet wash. :cool2:

Crikey Andy, 200 miles each way :confused:. What route do you take? It is only 180 miles for me and I am much further East than you. Just checked as an example, Eastbourne to Bovvy is about 132 miles. Does that make you feel better :)

:-D makes me feel a LOT better, Richard. Which route is that ??

I did check again, with map, and realised i was a TAD :shocked: out,........(Brighton - Dorchester,.120 miles, + 20ish from here to Brighton)

A27/M27, only trouble........:sweat:

One of my favourite stories, and true. Phone call from a garage to the control room Mowop (Making off without payment) How much fuel 300 litres! Totally blank from control romm. How much? 300 litres, EH what was the vehicle? A ford fiesta. !****90:argh::argh::yay: Is this a wind up, (Now this was in Essex) No. OK got the index number. The number came up on PNC, Attention to put out to units, off for a cuppa tea. About 15 minutes later total panic. roads closed, fire rescue. evacuations the whole 3 ring circus. The muppet had put a galvanised water tank into the back of the fiesta and filled it, then put a piece of cardboard over it. Legend has it that there was also a packet of cigarretes and a lighter on the dash board. What caught the units eye was the driver appeared to be drunk. It was the fumes from the fuel.

:-D makes me feel a LOT better, Richard. Which route is that ??

I did check again, with map, and realised i was a TAD :shocked: out,........(Brighton - Dorchester,.120 miles, + 20ish from here to Brighton)

A27/M27, only trouble........:sweat:

Andy,

That was using Multimap, going shortest route, via A27/ M27. I appreciate it is a bit of a fast road for an MW, after using it once in the QL going to Goodwood :shocked:

Years ago when the MVT had end of season events at "Bovvy", used to ride my M20 down and it was about 180 miles from here, going via Heathfield, A272 to Winchester, then Romsey and on to the A31 through to Bere Regis. The worst part would be across the New Forest to Ringwood, after that the traffic slows down a bit.

Richard

Most sat navs will give an optmum route. If you do not allow motorways then the route will include mostly A roads, a lot of which paralle motorways, the milage diffrence is often negligible and a lot happier driving. I often use 'Caravan routes' on web map sites. Avoids steep hills.

Most sat navs will give an optmum route. If you do not allow motorways then the route will include mostly A roads, a lot of which paralle motorways, the milage diffrence is often negligible and a lot happier driving. I often use 'Caravan routes' on web map sites. Avoids steep hills.

:( damned satnavs..............what is wrong with map reading? I have managed to navigate myself around some desolate corners of the world with only a basic map. :readbook:

Use to work in the yorkshire dales;...........sat nav's, caused us ENDLESS amounts of laughter;:rofl:.............(we wern't the ones using them. :whistle:) esp when it couldn't tell difference between main road and single track 'anything wider than a wheelbarrow is gonna be sorry', lane.:sweat:

If anyone knows Swaledale, Crackpot Hall fall's in to the above catagory. :cool2:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Have resisted the urge to buy one,do use marine equivalent to difficult to use traditional methods at 30 knots.:captain:wheres off topic gone:-D

Have resisted the urge to buy one,do use marine equivalent to difficult to use traditional methods at 30 knots.:captain:wheres off topic gone:-D

I know a chap who got a satnav, thought he would try it out on a trip to the Isle of Wight, turned it on whilst on the ferry crossing and it replied back "return to the road immediately" :-D:-D:-D

In the early days of in-car Sat-Navs a German guy used the one in his brand new Mercedes to get from A to B at night. Heading on down the road the sat nav showed a bridge over a river - only it wasn't a bridge, it was actually a ferry and there was a rather loud splash as the brand new Merc. sailed off the bank.

Moral of the story - never trust a sat-nav if you've never driven the route before!!!

Reminds me of the young female in a large and very expensive car (think it was a Merc) who followed her satnav into what must have been a ford (before you say it, a water crossing not the make of car), the river was obviously in flood but she ploughed on regardless and was duly swept down river. Fortunately for her the car washed up on the riverbank whereupon she stepped out, shut the door and walked away talking on her mobile. Some time later she was collected from the nearby Motorway services by a chauffeur driven Bentley.