GMC - white smoke....

Jack

Ok guys.

Back to this one again. It has just happened again whilst sitting in my drive. It dumped shed loads of oil all over the place.

So - I have unscrewed the Hydrvac (the screw at the back of the unit) and it was under pressure but no oil or anything else came out.........

Any thoughts guys - I have 8 days to get this sorted or my truck won't be at RtV :cry:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys.

Back to this one again. It has just happened again whilst sitting in my drive. It dumped shed loads of oil all over the place.

So - I have unscrewed the Hydrvac (the screw at the back of the unit) and it was under pressure but no oil or anything else came out.........

Any thoughts guys - I have 8 days to get this sorted or my truck won't be at RtV :cry:

Jack,

Can you be more explicite re. the remark "it dumped shed loads of oil all over the place" :???

Was it engine oil?

Where did the "oil" issue from?

What were you doing with the truck at the time it happened?

Richard

Hi Richard.

I was just moving it around the drive and it was brake fluid and it blew it from every hole in the exhaust pipe :argh:

If the Hydrovac has gone then I need to be quick to get one from Rex so that I can work on this over the weekend.

Do you think it is gone?

Hi Richard.

I was just moving it around the drive and it was brake fluid and it blew it from every hole in the exhaust pipe :argh:

If the Hydrovac has gone then I need to be quick to get one from Rex so that I can work on this over the weekend.

Do you think it is gone?

That's the only place brake fluid can get into the exhaust..

Ok guys.

That plug at the back might not access the section holding the brake fluid ! there are two other sections which some have access to the vac tube which runs to the inlet manifold, sounds like you need a replacement hydrovac as you probably wont get it rebuilt in 8 days !!!!!!!!

What it sounds like is happening is the brake fluid is getting in to the vacuum areas of the hydrovac and then when the engine is under max vacuum ie idling, or over run, engine braking down hill, it sucks it up the vac pipe in to the inlet manifold and then burns it and out into the exhaust.

Hi Richard.

Do you think it is gone?

Jack,

I know this was my original suggestion ( brake fluid sucked from servo ) when it happened weeks ago, you should remove the vacuum pipe from the manifold and check if it is wet inside and also if fluid level has dropped. If yes to either or both questions, then you have no option but to change the servo, or get it overhauled, but time being tight, changing is best option. It seems a bit odd that the problem comes intermitently.

Is it that hard Rich - I have a chum he know stuff like this...........:???

The hard bit is getting the correct seals, it is not very hard to get it to bits but as the truck only has single circuit brakes and this is the main thing which enables you to stop, it might be best to get Rex to do it....

Have you tried to stop you truck with no servo assistance or worst still no brakes at all

:shake: :shake: :shake:

There are several different types of hydrovac :shake: See Rex, but he might be able to do it for you !!!!!!

Jack,

It seems a bit odd that the problem comes intermitently.

This is probably because the vac line to the inlet manifold is on the top of the hydrovac so you would need quite alot of fluid inside the chamber before there would be enough to be sucked into the vac line.

It seems the spirits that lived in the GMC left you? :confused:

It is still there :-D

Going to take the Hydrovac to Rex's this weekend and he will fit a new kit for me there and then :-D

RtV is looking good!

Great stuff!

Thanks to all.

Evening all,

OK got up at 06:00 yesterday and the hydrovac and myself made our way up to Rex Ward's (now known as God at Beckett Towers).

After a coffee and a few stories the hydrovac was stripped down and the seals replaced and yes they were knackered - so hats off to those that said that this was the problem:bow:

On return yesterday and after refitting the hydrovac - Mrs Beckett and I bleed the brakes........:argh:

Today we had them all sorted after, in my wifes words not mine - we had a grown up come over and give me hand:cool2: thanks kev -you are a star!

So now the GMC has an overhauled hydrovac, new brakes shoes and cylinders :-D and it stops in a perfect line!!

........next stop Route to Victory:cool2:

Well done, to you, glad you have the brakes sorted out...

............................GMC Factoid.................................

Did you know the fuel tanks on GMC can hold 40 US Galls which is about

34 of our Galls :shake: that's about £170 worth of fuel.:-D

Don't remind me, the return trip to RTV and the convoys equals over 500 miles for me, cheapest petrol round here is just under 110p per litre and will probably be nearer 115p by the time I fuel up for the trip on wednesday.

I'm looking at doing Bovi event,...........in Bedford, works out about 200 miles each way. :shake:

Seriously looking at piggy bank at the mo..........:sweat:

Without going too far OT, wonder how many events are going to find entries down, due to fuel costs.........