Scammell Pioneer Gallery

Sods law Nigel, there where some on Ebay a few months back ! Don't think they sold either ! :-(

From what I've heard you don't really want original weights on the front all the time anyway makes the steering a bit heavy. A lot of people apparently make copies from wood. Look the part but a fraction of the weight.

The weights that were on Ebay were unbelievably in our home town unknown to us, we bid but they did sell for way more than we were prepared to pay and went to Scotland i believe! Early weights are solid iron but later ones are filled with concrete.

• 2 weeks later...
From what I've heard you don't really want original weights on the front all the time anyway makes the steering a bit heavy. A lot of people apparently make copies from wood. Look the part but a fraction of the weight.

If you can't drive a pioneer with the weights on then you shouldn't own one!

You need to weigh at least 15 stone! Or eat 10 shredded wheat before driving. Having said this spike milligan said that all pioneer drivers were the smallest people in his artillery unit.

If you can't drive a pioneer with the weights on then you shouldn't own one!

You need to weigh at least 15 stone! Or eat 10 shredded wheat before driving. Having said this spike milligan said that all pioneer drivers were the smallest people in his artillery unit.

15 Stone!!! Jesus I need to eat more then.... Think my meagre 10 3/4's may be struggling a little..... Better get down the cash and carry for some shredded wheat before next week me thinks.....:sweat:

15 Stone!!! Jesus I need to eat more then.... Think my meagre 10 3/4's may be struggling a little..... Better get down the cash and carry for some shredded wheat before next week me thinks.....:sweat:

Can we asume from that comment that you have increased your Scammell fleet Nigel ?

Any luck with finding a Crusader trailer yet ?

John.

Can we asume from that comment that you have increased your Scammell fleet Nigel ?

Any luck with finding a Crusader trailer yet ?

John.

Yes John we can assume correctly :-D Not here as yet but hopefully picking it up next week at some point.... Pictures will be forthcoming.....

No luck with the Crusader trailer yet though..... but not overly fussed for now, still have to get it MOT'd and registered but would like to think all will be done by march / april time....

The mystery I now need to solve is why my bloomin yard is getting smaller!!..... Answers on a postcard!!

Happy New Year BTW..... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say that is a lovely looking example Andy.

I spoke to the current owner a few months ago when he first decided that he was going to put it up for sale. He has spent many thousands on the restoration and according to him his asking price just about covers his outlay.

The ommision of the sides on the body was by choice rather than inability but I can not remember his reasoning behind it now.

Sadly with it being way down country I didnt get a chance to go and see it but I doubt anyone looking for a good Pioneer will find anything much better... As for the price.. Well I dont know to be honest But like anything like this its worth what its worth to the person who wants one!!

Staying on the topic of Pioneers....

Does anyone here know of a good trimmer who could stitch new clear plastics, convertable car hood style, into the canvas framed door tops? Ideally the closer to Watford the better.

Thanks

Nigel

Happy to report that the Scammell Collection has increased by 1.

Went up to Shropshire on Saturday with the trusty Crusader and the Recovery Trailer to bring the old girl home

1944 Pioneer Recovery.

pioneersmall1.jpg

Lining her up.....

pioneersmall2.jpg

Got to love that rear bogie articulation

pioneersmall4.jpg

Handsome pair!

pioneersmall5.jpg

Thirsty work!!

Happy to report that the Scammell Collection has increased by 1.

Went up to Shropshire on Saturday with the trusty Crusader and the Recovery Trailer to bring the old girl home

1944 Pioneer Recovery.

pioneersmall1.jpg

Lining her up.....

pioneersmall2.jpg

Got to love that rear bogie articulation

pioneersmall4.jpg

Handsome pair!

pioneersmall5.jpg

Thirsty work!!

Scammell heaven, Glad Freddie has gone to a good home Nigel ! Thanks for posting the pics ! Not jealous much !:-D

Hi

Was just wandering if this plate was standart in the pioneer.:confused:

it was fittet to the engine cover in the cab, and has unfortunaly left its mark on it. :coffee:

And can any one tell me where the chassis number plate normaly is fittet. mine was inside the cab above the windshield.

Cheers

With regard to the above plate..... (Post # 337, Page 34)

My Pioneer doesnt have one of these so I am going to engrave my own, Have done most of the artwork for it now but just need to get the sizes right.

I notice it is laying on a grid and in the lower picture the grids are numbered... I'm assuming cm?

So I make that somewhere around 17.5 cm x 13 cm......??

Confirmation of this from anyone who has one on their Pioneer would be most welcome.

Edited by Plantters

Hi nigel.

It looks like CM's the same as my craft cutting board that i use for making Gaskets.

Hopefuly Niels can confim this and give you the details.

most of the craft boards are in Cm's.

Clive

protruckservices