Help PLS is this a WC-52

Perry

Dear Forum,

I am new (today) but have already learned a few things like what Prestone 43 means on the front of vehicles. Could anyone confirm that the attached photo is of a Dodge WC-52? Were they also used as ambulances due to the siren. I'm trying to find the authentic RED lens for the siren. Is this a 1943 Dodge?

She in good shape ah.

Thank you for any information you could send.

Perry

Thanks Degsy,

That's what I though. I live in France and a friend of mine tells me it's a WC-52 but another photo that I have of it, shows a big round cylinder siren with a red lens. He told me it was an ambulance. Could I perhaps be right in thinking that the red lens was for lights out driving, would that make any sense? but why a siren? WC "Weapons Carrier" meaning they normally pulled howitzers or??? Degsy, what was its main use?, I've seen a lot of photos with 50cals mounted.

Like you said, the ambulances always seem to have the hard-cap back end.

Thanks again

Perry

Thank You Tony B,

I guess perhaps if this is not the original canvas it may have been painted with a cross, no other signs though. The body re-paint could have also covered any other marking up. I need to ask my friend. Nonetheless, thanks to all for the knowledge base.

Perry

Perry,

The first siren shown (without red lens) is a SIREN.

The second one is a SIRENLIGHT - they were fitted to Ward laFrance wreckers, I but have not seen them on any other vehicle in wartime photos.

You cannot put a lens on the first type, they are very different units.

Repro sirens are available from Jeeparts, SIRENLIGHTS are like spaces in the clubhouse parking lot - scarce :whistle:

Hope this info helps!

Hi!

I think you can get your siren/sirenlight/lens at http://www.handelsplass.no/

It's in norwegian, so good luck. Will help you out if you don't find it.

I think I have a photo of a WC51 with some red cross markings somewhere. Will have a look around and get back to you with the photp. (That is if I can locate it!)

Marty

You're also wondering what year it is, for me it looks like a late war since the back part of the body is smaller than on mine, which is a '42. If the benches/storage boxes in the back are of wood it would be a '44 or '45.

More photos would make it easier to tell year, but you'll have to be aware of the fact that the cargo part might have been changed between vehicles thru the years.

But your Dodge look really good!

Marty

Hi Perry,

What you have is a WC52, probably a 1944 or 1945 model, as Marty said.

As for WC52 beign used as ambulances, I'd have to say NO. The WC54 was the principal ambulance vehicle, but Medical units also used WC51's (without the winch), WC62 (6x6 without winch), halftracks, M29 Weasel and off course the MB/GPW. In late 1944 and 1945 came the WC64 (pic no 5) which was a lengthened WC51 with a collapsible rear body for ease of transportation.

The siren and the siren/red light combination were not used on Dodges at all. They have been attached by someone who thought they looked nice :bow:

Dear Forum,

I am new (today) but have already learned a few things like what Prestone 43 means on the front of vehicles. Could anyone confirm that the attached photo is of a Dodge WC-52? Were they also used as ambulances due to the siren. I'm trying to find the authentic RED lens for the siren. Is this a 1943 Dodge?

She in good shape ah.

Thank you for any information you could send.

Perry

Perry,

What does "Prestone 43" mean ?

Jack

Having looked at the way the stretchers are lashed across the back of the 51. I wonder if the used the same rule as the 101 ambulances. The serious casualties are put on the bottom, so if the top stretcher colapses the serious injured are least loss. ( I kid you not).

I hate to break up the male bonding, but should we try to help Perry out?

Attached are pictures of a very special Swedish Army WC52-with a recoilless 105 mm gun! I doubt this WC55 "wannabe" ever was used beyond the prototype stage...

The WC52 is one of around 750 Dodges bought from surplus depots in Europe, in 1946-47, for Swedish army use.

BTW - HAPPY NEW YEAR! :nut:

As always,

Goran N

• 2 weeks later...