The MOT Question...

Hi Phil, the exemptions are from THIS weeks missive. Give it till this time next week and I'll try and find the new one. Just an extremly good job what few brewieries are left over here are in private ownership. From the front ; How can I find out more?

Kep your eyes and ears open for any coverage of Driver (They love the capital D) CPC on radio TV and in the press. Now lets see, so I have to scan the airwaves to find out if I'm breacking the law? But if I'm seen with a radio in the cab of a fare stage bus, the radio is taken to be on. this is contrary to the Transport Commision regulations, so the best I would be looking at is the sack. Anyone know of another job going?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

A quick question - I'm looking at the WC-51 because I understand it's MAM comes in under 3.5 (metric) tonnes, so I can drive it on my new style car license. Here I'm hearing that the laden GVW is over 3.5 tonnes. Is there a difference between MAM and GVW that I'm missing, or am I looking for a vehicle I can't drive on the road?

The design GVW of a WC51 is under 3500 kg as it has an unladen weight of just over 2000kg and is designed with a payload of 750kg (more or less). The maximum authorised mass is not necessarily the same in all cases as that refers to the vehicles plated weight, not applicable in the case of a WC51.

You can drive it on your licence but it does need an MOT test.

• 4 months later...
This has a depressingly familiar ring to it....

How are you supposed to get a lawyer to advise you when the people making the rules are the ones saying basically they haven't a clue what they are talking about. You can go and spend shed-loads of money on legal bills only for the "Agency" to turn around and amend the wording to suit there own needs.....

:argh: :argh: :argh:

All the red tape we drivers have to put up with wont encourage any new drivers to consider a career in haulage............European Drivers hours regulations............working time directive.........it's like I said to our latest new driver, "While you are watching the snakes hanging out of the trees, there's a crocodile sneaking up behind you; waiting to bite your arse". :shocked:

We have a Drivers Hours explanatory sheet on my office wall, issued from V.O.S.A. which states that the information on that may not be correct............... so where the far king hell are we supposed to get the correct information from. :banghead::angry:argh: No doubt VOSA will have an accurate version when they decide to prosecute us for drivers hours offences. No doubt the police may also interpret thing differently too. I have our version of the hours regulations. All we can work to is my version of the rules as I understand them. :-D

On the subject of MOT's, I've never understood how an item that isn't included in an MOT test can constitute a breach of the regulations in the eyes of the police when the vehicle is used on the road, ie spare wheels

Edited by Marmite!!

Always remeber the magic words 'At the time of examination' , two minutes later, your on youre own mate! I have seen a car drive up to the MOT staion, as it turned into the pit, the rear axle parted company from the bodywork. I've also had a vehicle tested, drove home in ten minutes, went to stop , and a brake pipe had burst. You can also quite legally DRIVE a failed vehicle from the test to a scarp yard. Never rely on an MOT, always make sure you are happy the vehicle is roadwrthy, then if it goes pear shaped at least you know who to blame.

• 3 months later...
Tony the first exemption is a bit strange or is it me who can't understand what it says. I read the relavent parts in another publication but didn't spot that one. I did note that the course is fifty hours spread over a maximum of 5 years at £35-00/hour.

That smacks of generating income for the Government. There's no point in getting a lawyer on the case. By the time they have read it through and checked it to make sure they can't be had for getting it wrong it will have been on the statute books 10 years! They tried the same with congestion charges. By the time men in wigs had read the fine print to check if it was constitutionaly correct it was in operation. Once there is an example it can be referred to in a court of law and used a guide. The men in wigs still get paid! Good innit?

I don't know where you read that mate. I drive artics for a living and can tell you that the CPC is 35 hours of training over 5 years. The first 5 years qualify for "grandfather rights" if you have your licence already. Secondly, you only need a CPC if you drive PROFESIONALLY for a living. If you own a private HGV and are not using it to carry goods or burden for hire or reward then you are exempt the requirement for a CPC. Hope this clarifies the situation.

Secondly, you only need a CPC if you drive PROFESIONALLY for a living. If you own a private HGV and are not using it to carry goods or burden for hire or reward then you are exempt the requirement for a CPC. Hope this clarifies the situation.

How do they define professionally? It hopefully won't affect me for the next 5 years but is it any driving done while employed or only driving when employed to drive?

I'm an electronic engineer, the only reason I'm getting my licence is to move some of our kit from my workplace to trials sites. The kit just happens to be bolted to a vehicle - am I now 'driving professionally' or is it just that I happen to be driving while at work? The intent is clearly to ensure people transporting goods for a living have the training (and I can probably make work pay for it anyway) but it doesn't seem to be laid out that clearly.

Add the cost of attending training to the cost of a week off work for self-employed drivers and it'll add up to a big chunk of cash...

Stone

Hi Stone,

These are the only exemptions.

What are the exemptions?

You don’t need a Driver CPC if the vehicle you drive is

• Not authorised to exceed 45 kph

• Being used by or under the instructions of the armed forces,

the police or a fire and rescue authority.

• Undergoing road tests for technical development repair or

for maintenance purposes.

• Being used in a state of emergency as part of a rescue mission.

• Being used for driving lessons for either driving licence or

Driver CPC purposes.

Not being used to carry passengers or goods for

commercial purposes.

Carrying materials or equipment for your work and that work

is not professional bus, coach or lorry driving.

You MIGHT qualify for the last exemption. You will need to speak with the Driver Standards Agency to find out for sure. here is the contact address.

Driving Standards Agency

Driver CPC

Stanley House

56 Talbot Street

Nottingham

NG1 5GU

0115 9015879

Hope this helps mate?

Cheers for that. I might actually qualify under '• Not being used to carry passengers or goods for commercial purposes.' since under VOSA rules any equipment permanently or semi-permanently attached to your vehicle isn't classed as goods but as part of the vehicle...

I think I'd better give them a ring though!

Stone

Cheers for that. I might actually qualify under '• Not being used to carry passengers or goods for commercial purposes.' since under VOSA rules any equipment permanently or semi-permanently attached to your vehicle isn't classed as goods but as part of the vehicle...

I think I'd better give them a ring though!

Stone

I would mate, coz if you are driving it in your line of work, you might be on dodgy ground. If you need an HGV licence to drive it, and your using it for work then I would definitely ring them up.

• 2 months later...

I have had a very enlightening letter, email from the DVLA...I think it clarifies a great deal. if you use your vehicle for display purposes, and it is for this purpose alone it is unlikely to need an MOT or plating if it is a heavy goods vehicle etc...but it goes on to say a good deal more...

However I STILL BELIEVE WE SHOULD GET mot'S FOR OUR OWN PEACE OF MIND.

If anyone wants to see the letter please PM me...

I have had a very enlightening letter, email from the DVLA...I think it clarifies a great deal. if you use your vehicle for display purposes, and it is for this purpose alone it is unlikely to need an MOT or plating if it is a heavy goods vehicle etc...but it goes on to say a good deal more...

However I STILL BELIEVE WE SHOULD GET mot'S FOR OUR OWN PEACE OF MIND.

If anyone wants to see the letter please PM me...

If it clarifies the situation could you please post it here for all to see??

it is unlikely to need an MOT or plating

Not that clear cut then, anyway I thought it was VOSA that dealt with MOT's, not the DVLA :confused:

Edited by Marmite!!
Typo

if you use your vehicle for display purposes, and it is for this purpose alone it is unlikely to need an MOT or plating if it is a heavy goods vehicle etc..

I've only picked up on this thread since new posts were made. I've read about the Showman aspect for MoT exemption, there should be something out there if you Google it. That's more or less it as far as adding to the Mot exemption thread but if you'll indulge me once again, thinking about it got me typing the words that rattle around me mind again before I lose them. I suspect it's familiar stuff, regurgitated, all that, so move along if you've had enough already :)

When you think of the steam kit, trailers, and really heavy stuff that seems to only manage walking speeds and easily take all their side of the road and more, I can see how MoT'ing something like that would be a nightmare

I'll have the Pinkies MoT'd at the same place (it's not as easy or comfortable for me to service them myself anymore when you rely on the weather and wanting to do shows as well), done with the assistance of a good Comp 4x4 garage. He knows old vehicles, Land Rovers, has common sense etc etc. At the end of the day, I am quite pleased that I have an MoT pass to the effect that this vehicle shouldn't suffer evils like imminent brake failure and they even work evenly, has good steering, wheel bearings not rumbling, lighting doesn't affect oncoming traffic, doesn't smoke like a Beagle, and is in generally good fettle as understood by someone in a flat cap and dustcoat who has yet to experience Wked Blue, Ipod or Facebook.

So, I get an MoT from a place that does MoT's, minor and major fettling by another place that builds Ibex and some seriously nice 4X4 stuff, using equipment for their respective jobs that I can only have wet dreams about :)

But I think I've got it easy with the Land Rovers and motorbikes and I do feel for you guys who appear to be plaiting fog when it comes down to asking for definitive and consistent advice from the people who will be, and probably want to, prosecute you for the smallest transgression, in order to prove their own value. Unless I had the facilites, equipment and experience to properly inspect and service such large vehicles, I'm not sure I could honestly guarantee that any large vehicle I owned (and I really do have a soft spot for the CVR(T) but that's down to being a Rockapes kid) was roadworthy in the sense that significant systems on the vehicle have been proven to be safe. I'll put my neck on the line and question road use of such vehicles if an audit trail of maintenance (or something like an engineers report in lieue of an MoT) cannot be shown. I don't think it is sufficient to effectively self certificate such vehicles without something to back it up. I'm fairly ignorant as to what that something is but I'll bet that an outsourced Agency's version would be different to the able bodied and minded types on here that do look after their own kit.

I've taken this off topic now and hope I've not stirred up a hornets nest with my last comment. I'll stand by it though and start a new thread if it makes for good debate.

there are elements of self certification. These can only really be tested in the courts and this is where you could find yourself if you follow some of the potential routes to self certification. In essence it may be the way to go to test the rules but i do think VOSA and the DVLA have way too much power and if they find someone who seems to be flaunting that then they will use every rule they can to interpret their own rules in a way that makes us seem like criminals...

The mot FOR CLASSIC vehicles could be very simple...as long as the use is not commercial, ie being used to transport goods or people for reward...I think you will find thinks are easy enough....

I have not completed my process to find out what really happens locally in my area but I hope to have that soon.

Sorry i am not overly willing to copy confidential information from VOSA on here....so if anyone wants to see stuff you will need to PM me...

Sorry i am not overly willing to copy confidential information from VOSA on here....so if anyone wants to see stuff you will need to PM me...

Sorry but how can information from VOSA be confidential? Unless it is referring specifically to one of your vehicles.

Any information they put in writing could surely be used as evidence by anyone in a court of law.

• 2 months later...

Hello all

Can anyone shed some light....

... re the situation with a pre 1960 commercial, with regards to having had the numberplate changed for an age related one (ie original one sold off).

On form V112g the MOT exemption looks to still apply. I have been told this is not the case, and the same by implication would seem to be the case for driving license exemptions. (form INF52)

Any pointers?

many thanks.

Hello all

Can anyone shed some light....

... re the situation with a pre 1960 commercial, with regards to having had the numberplate changed for an age related one (ie original one sold off).

On form V112g the MOT exemption looks to still apply. I have been told this is not the case, and the same by implication would seem to be the case for driving license exemptions. (form INF52)

Any pointers?

many thanks.

Sam,

I cannot see the reg number makes any difference, it is all about a commercial vehicle of given weight, used before 1960. My own 1943 lorry was not registered for civilian use until 1987 ( on an age related number). So long as the vehicles build date is on the V5, there should not be a problem.

hello richard,

that's as i had understood it, with the proviso that it was unladen, ie had no freight / not for work.

someone i know, who should know correctly, is convinced that an MOT is now required. "once it has had an MOT (as needed for number plate removal) it will always need an MOT".

from past experience of using form V112g (i operate as a showman - lots written on that about here, much seems incomplete) i've found that just because something had to be MOT'd once, did not mean that it remaimed so. but this friend is convinced, and it just puzzled me as i'll be buying something with non-original plates.

thanks for your time,

sam