Wartime truck

Adrian Dwyer

I was given this photo many years ago.  It's undated but, looking at the age-range of those expressive faces, I am guessing it was during WW2 rather than post-war.  Does anyone recognise the vehicle in the background?  All I know about it - from the stencilling - is the max speed was 35 MPH and cruising was 30 MPH.

All the best.

A

IMG_9497.jpg

11 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

Definitely a Hillman Tilly.

I note on the door...'Max Speed 35mph' and is that 'Cruising Speed 30mph' below?

When I was given the photo I was told there was a link to Fort Halstead, Sevenoaks.  On the back of the image is a photographer's shop stamp - but no WD-type markings.  Each time I look at it I come away with a sense of the subjects' quiet collective pride in a job well-done!

As an aside, the wonders of Google show the photographers (est. 1935) moved on long ago, but their name is still just visible on the front of the building.

IMG_9498.jpg

IMG_9499.jpg

Screenshot 2023-11-07 112722.png

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
add photo
  • Like 6

Fort Halstead has always been a weapons and expolosives research establishment, in the late 1930's it was designated as the Projectile Development Establishment with rocket development. I would hazard a guess that this photo was taken in the MT section and the Hillman tilly is on the ramp for servicing. The lettering on the door is unusual for a military vehicle and it is likely it was supplied to a government department from the Ministry of Supply.