Favorite War Movie

1944WC52

What is your favorite war movie? My first choice would be "Where Eagles Dare". I loved this when since I was a kid.

Brent

Go with you mate :tup: Only problem is I'm told that I sound just like Richard Burton over a radio, so inevitably someone comes up with 'Broadsword calling Danny boy'. I remeber when the film first came out. Cor!!! It was amazing, and very little trickery in the stunts. Also Force 10 from Navarone as part was filmed in Jersey and had a bit to do with horses in it.

My favorite tends to change with my mood , what I recently read or learned about regarding historical military events, Currently the top one would be "Kelly"s Hero's" here's a link to a couple clips, first a sing along with lyrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_VhnAl2BFM

second 10 minutes of high lights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh8llWBZ4TA

another is "The Guns of Navaron" and "Force Ten from Navaron" or "Raid On Rommel"so many others "Battle of the Bulge", "The Great Escape" "Twelve a clock High"

The European settings have lots of vehicles and men , and cover seemingly large areas of action compared to those set in the Asian Theator of operations are largely smaller unit actions on small islands ,very few vehicles

I agree with all those films as being outstanding, but crikey, there are still so many more to choose from. Lets add "Bridge Too Far" and "Bridge at Remagen" as WW2 favourites and "What Price Glory" as my favourite WW1 film.

I could list another dozen quite easily, but i thought i should let some one else pick them.

Tim (too)

For the aerial sequences alone - "Battle of Britain"

Others that always stuck in my mind from childhood were........

"Ice Cold in Alex"

"San Demetrio - London"

"1000 Plane Raid"

"Kelly's Heros!"

Steve

PS Oh! and "The Dam Busters" of course!!!!!!!!

Steve, wasn't it San Demitro Liverpool? Fantastic story , but I've never actually seen the film.

Ahh, because the original San Demitro was British Eagle fleet all listed at Liverpool. Have you ever read Malta convoy , the story of Ohio? Those tanker guys must have been built of cast iron. Let's go and sail through an area full of U Boats sitting on top of umpteen thousnad tons of fuel. Thanks for the Link.

Well i have to say there are so many great ww2 films out there...but these ones i can watch over and over again..

Das Boot

Battle of Britain

Stalingrad

Downfall...infact the list goes on.....

And best Documentrys have to be

The world at war series.......

And in my option just as good as the above

Battlefields series 1 & 2 originally aired on BBC by Universal Pictures UK...Very educational and with great narration by tim piggott smith and in others jonathan booth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_(documentary_series)

Also another BBC Battlefield series by Prof. Richard Holmes...Really great to..

including..

El Alamein

Monte Cassino

RAF Bomber Offensive

And one for joris... Arnhem

First battle scenes in Saving Private Ryan - rest of the film not bad either.

Band of Brothers -

Battle of the Bulge, Bridge Too Far, Kelly's Hero's, Thin Red Line.

List goes on and on and on.

Just to be safe - I've most of the films mentioned and many more.

Markheliops