Clansman 344

Surveyor

On 8/30/2022 at 3:34 PM, Surveyor said:

Thanks for that, just trying to sort out an Ariel thought it might be the same as the 320 but it looks like a co ax 

It's over 40 years. As Regimental Radio Storeman (as well as my day job), in 1980 we got a Clansman UK/PRC (such was the then current nomenclature) 344 to replace what I was recently reminded was probably a Larkspur SR A43 (frequency change by removing/replacing a transistor) UHF FOO radio. Neither ever left the store for the back of an ACV, FFR or FSC.

We never had a 320 (HF manpack, right?)

However, HF 320 would need a long antenna to achieve a ¼ wavelength, whereas, as I type this I suddenly have a flashback to a six inch metal ribbon antenna like something out of your tape measure to achieve ¼ of an ultra high frequency (= ultra short wavelength).

But it's over 40 years ago

On 8/30/2022 at 3:34 PM, Surveyor said:

Thanks for that, just trying to sort out an Ariel thought it might be the same as the 320 but it looks like a co ax 

It is the short ribbon antenna for "manpack" and the Bob Marley for masts etc   I'm not an expert but do have the manual and various antenna...

I can get pictures if required.

• Up 1

44 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

It is the short ribbon antenna for "manpack" and the Bob Marley for masts etc   I'm not an expert but do have the manual and various antenna...

I can get pictures if required.

I now recognise from the description the mast adaptor.