WWII British trailer 1 ton size....Did it exsist?

weasel_nut

Was there a WWII 3/4 ton or 1 ton trailer used by Canadian or British forces other than the US made Ben Hur?

Yes, one example is a restored one owned by Simon Thomson, in the Isle of Wight. There was an article on it in the MVT Windscen magazine a while ago, cannot lay my hands on it at present

Richard

Hi all,

may be confused here the one i was thinking of was the Trailer 10 -cwt GS which i saw at the Yeovil show

Bill if you get on to the M.V.T. website look in the articles link and for the above issue i am sure it is pictured there ??

Ashley

There was the Trailer, 1 Ton, 2 Wheeled, which spawned:

GS on chassis No.1

GS No.2 on chassis No.5 Mk.1

Water Purification on chassis No.1 Mk.2

Water Purification on chassis No.1 Mk.4

Pigeon Loft on chassis No.3 Mk.1

Pigeon Loft on chassis No.3 Mk.2

AA Command Post on chassis No.4 Mk.2

Gas Welding on chassis No.2 Mk.1

Gas Welding on chassis No.2 Mk.2

Gas Welding on chassis No.2 Mk.3

Gas Welding No.4 on chassis No.5 Mk.2

Petrol Pumping on chassis No.5 Mk.4

Pole Carrying No.1- not specified.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Link is broken :mad: has anybody got a photo or scan they can post as I have just found a WW2 1 ton trailer complete with 4 brass data plates inc makers name, wartime X number & post war rebuild plates, it has identical tow hitch & support legs as the 1 ton water bower made in 1940. Just found this on the internet http://www.geocities.ws/cmpvehicles/trailer_1-ton_2wh_gs.html same trailer as I have just found except later hitch & no corner legs.

Edited by Ian L

Ian,

The broken link led to the same webpage as you found, the web site address was changed. Geocities.com closed down, then geocities.ws copied most of the content without asking the website owners anything?!? Anyway, the information is still online.

But other than the information posted on my website, I have no further information on these British trailers.

I do know they did not have an overrun brake (see the specs), so if yours does it is a modified one or a different trailer. Posting pictures does wonders to ID it.

Hanno

Yes, I have one. I think I have a phot somewhere of it on the back of the QL.
Sorry Tony but its nothing like your 10cwt trailer, the one I have found is a much larger British 1 ton GS like the photo but it has fold down legs at each corner & a braked tow hitch identical to my 1940 water bowser. Photos to follow once it been dug out from under the scrap pile.

trailer_1-ton_2wh_gs_2.jpg

013.JPG

So what's the tale? Where there diffrent types? Mine is supposed to be just pre war. It does have an overun brake.

Tony, I would almost be willing to put a days pension on yours having been cobbled from a Coventry Climax trailer pump chassis axle wheels, legs tow/eye/brake assy and retractable handling bars on the front .

NOW you have posted the pictures of the trailer it is not a number 5 mark one as it has not got the castor wheel it has a handbrake which was not fitted on the 5 mark one but was fitted on the early GS THERE IS DIFFERANCE IN LENGTH

BETWEEN THE TWO 5 MARK ONE IS 10 FT 9 INCHES THE EARLY ONE IS 11FT 6 INCHES the post war number is listed in the record 0f key cards which were held at BEVERLEY and are now at DEEPCUT