Towing a jeep

colin packer

2 hours ago, Nick Johns said:

A jeep tows ok on an A bar, put the transfer lever in the midway, neutral position then its not turning the gear box

Am I correct in thinking that all A frames now need to have a braking facility fitted?

Edited by No Signals

It's the trailer regulations that are the issue. I used to have a home made A Frame which used a braked hitch connected to the Jeep brake pedal. However, I believe the trailer regulations for anything over 750Kg require a breakaway cable to activate brakes in the event of un-hitching, but that that braking mechanism must be independant to the hydraulic system. I couldn't think of an easy way to have the two braking systems so gave up and built a flatbed trailer.

All of these cars you see towed behind motorhomes should have this dual system to be legal. The Jeep at around 1100Kg should have the same, so a standard wartime A Frame is most likely illegal, except if the vehicle has broken down and is being recovered.

That's my understanding from reading the rules I found online back around 2006.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep
  • Like 1

Remember also that it is the maximum permitted weight of the "trailer" that matters, and that the brakes must operate on all wheels and exceed the minimum efficiency required (rules out vehicles with brake servos). It is exceptionally difficult to A-frame any vehicle and conform with the regs, most people agree it can't be done.

In the recovery scenario, the vehicle must have been roadworthy before the breakdown and you are only allowed to recover it to the nearest 'place of safety' from where it must be removed by a conventional and legal method.

NOTE.   "Guidance Note"  ,   not a Regulation  (this to date has never been tested in law).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies/a-frames-and-dollies

Unfortunately  ,  these Muppets don't have a basic understanding about mass of the towing vehicle and they haven't a clue to enable them to differentiate between a  'Dolly' and a BRAKED  Dolly..   Further they themselves don't have a licence  to tow a vehicle and in fact have never carried out any research of BRAKED Dollies.  They are reliant on s.f.a.  documentary evidence by their own department  (QUANGO)  or any independent third party body..

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 12:47 PM, Nick Johns said:

A jeep tows ok on an A bar, put the transfer lever in the midway, neutral position then its not turning the gear box

The OP doesn't specify which model Jeep, some transfer cases are reasonably tolerant while others will die an ugly death in mere miles.

There is some difference in opinion on this topic.  There are some brave souls who will flat-tow with the transfer case in neutral and report they were fine, others report damage.  My great-grandfather always pulled the rear driveshaft and unlocked the hubs and that does seem the consensus for the only truly safe way.  It takes but a couple minutes to remove the four bolts and wire or zip-tie the driveline to the frame and is cheap insurance against catastrophic transfer case failure.

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/how-to-get-true-answer-on-flat-towing.117211/

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/flat-towing-trying-to-separate-facts-from-all-the-hype.95173/

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tech-qa/flat-towing-a-jeep/