MV Clubs

Mark

Hi All

I already belong to one of the MV clubs the IMPS and have done for a good few years, is there any benefit in joining the MVT as well.

With the IMPS I can get into the War and Peace show free etc what do you get with the MVT for the joining fee what ever that price is??

Anyone with suggestions?

You get Windscreen, which is a good read. Also the greensheet, which used to be the place to buy and sell stuff. Still useful though as it lists lots of events. You can get into Kemble, which is a good show, and many of the other smaller MVT shows for free too.

Vehicle verification, a member benefit... when I enquired about this I was told I would have to pay a fee..

No fee for vehicle verification. A very efficient service, you only pay travel expence to the person who inspects on behalf of the verification officer and as they endeavour to find the nearest member to you, who will oblige, it does not amount to much.

I have belonged to MVT ( MVCG in those days ) since 1977 and it is a very good club. The magazine, Windscreen is the best club mag I have ever come across, makes the MVPA mag look poor. Greensheet is good for finding parts and vehicles, there are still a lot of people who do not use the internet.

Richard,

I was asked for 35quid for him to travel less than 10miles... would't call that cheap...

Well I have had one vehicle done for me and inspected two others myself, one for a forum member.

To quote the letter from the MVT, "The applicant is aware that you may claim any out of pocket expense and a mileage charge of 35p per mile; you should inform the applicant of the total amount due before inspection....."

Thats right, 35p a mile. £35 for a 10 mile journey makes it sound like the inspector got his decimal point in the wrong place.

I have done one vehicle inspection. A 300 mile round trip and did not charge a penny for it. But i wanted to see the vehicle and was stopping off at the parents place near by anyway.

Tim 9too)

What you get for your money £25.00 membership.......

Four issues of Windscreen Good mags

Six copys of the Greensheets Not bad but most of the adverts have already been on Milweb and CMV

Access to MVT library Is it finished Yet

Reduced MV insurance Dont have to be an MVT member for discount its available to other clubs

Access to local MVT meetings If you dont mind feeling alienated for not being WW2 owners

Exchange of views and technical know how Get much better advice on HMVF

Vehicle verification for unregistered MV vehicles Never had to use this

Free admission to MVT organised events on production of your membership card Unless you go to Beaulieu Trucks and Troops

The best thing is the Windscreen mags.

Well I was IMPS, now am MVT.

From purely a personel point of view, Windscreen is far and away the better publicating than (old style + 1st new style) Imprint. Certainly more informative.

Don't do either 'national' shows, (W&P/Kemble) although did go, sans vehicle to Troops and Trucks,.............fair do's, paid on door, (hadn't brought exibit so expected to have to pay)

I'll agree totally, with comments already made here, that in terms of infomation, etc THIS FORUM is far BETTER than both national clubs, in terms of contact and problem solving, in friendly and light hearted manner.

As for the future,...............................who knows. ;-)

Andy

I don't think anybody would claim that the MVT is perfect but neither is the human race or any thing devised by man. If you really want to change things then you have to get involved not sit on the sidelines bleating. This hoary old 'us and them' topic has been done to death but seems to be perpetuated by people who have some sort of axe to grind. I have had my differences with the MVT and nobody is forced to become a member but we must all stick together in these difficult times and the MVT does have a voice at national level. I am not targetting anyone in particular with these remarks but more in the faint hope of seeing some sort of unity.

Finally I am sure that anybody who is a member of some other hobby/club can recognise very similar symptoms, as I've said before nothing much changes in human nature.

i joined IMPS this year at the W&P and i am joining the MVT aswell, because IMPS as much as they are a good group MVT have a MV club up by me rather than everything been "down south". the only real bug that annoying me with IMPS is when i joined as a young vehicle member i got no information on the club absolutely nothing! ZIP! it was a good job i had done my homework on the club before joining or i would have been in a complete mystery zone until i got the the website, i felt it was a case of come sign up get the cash off you and then boot you out the tent. When i went to the local MVT show they actually stood and explained what they did etc much better than IMPS but yeah as soon as i mention i was interested in post war it was like i had lost all friends lol, but i think that taking it from a younger person prespective if i had no idea about either of the clubs i would have joined MVT but i didnt well not yet anyway.

Just had another thought on this subject and as it is quite relevant thought i would mention it. When we restored our first MV (1991) we had to get it inspected to get it on the road. Not being members of the MVT at that time we made use of the services of a local chap who's name featured in another club magazine.

He came and looked at the truck, was very interested and we had a very pleasant time. We even gave him dinner. When he came to go he asked us for his fee of £60, which was a bit of a suprise. We paid it but it left a sour taste in the mouth. Now if we had been members of the MVT at that time we could have had it done for free - if only we had known. You live and learn (but generally spend a lot of money in the learning process).

Tim (too)