Identification of rusty heap required

windy

It's hard to scale the bike ..but the grab handles at The rear suggest it was not a lightweight ..the rear suspension. Indicates probably post war...but the girders limit it's age ....even by the late 40s most large manufacturers triumph. Bsa.Norton matchless et c where switching to telescopic forks .... So gut feel is its a smaller manufacturer...

Jenkinov

From its location looks as if it's been used as a field bike and dumped ..the rear plunger is very distinctive but the tank looks as if it has a suicide gear change mount .. Plus the girders forks ...suspicious it's a bitsa ..

Interesting conundrum

Jenkinov

The heavyweight Webb forks and the style of the headsteady clamp really look Triumph...The 'three stay' plunger rear-end is unfamiliar to me..I suspect that it is a 1940s suspension upgrade.

I'd say that it was pre-war Tiger 100 with upgrades but that the fuel tank doesn't belong on it

Rik is right. The front end with ally brake plate is pre-war heavyweight Triumph T90-T100-Speedtwin etc.  The  rubber mounted bars head steady, front gearbox mounting and rear mudguard are all correct. But I have no idea about the plunger rear and the hand change tank. Is it for sale?  Ron

Picked the bike up last night.

Frame number has TF prefix which suggests its a pre-war Tiger 100.

Odd thing is these should all be rigid frame afaik & this is a plunger.

It also has a swingarm running through the plunger tubes, which seems unusual. 

Rusty triumph tiger 014.JPG

• Like 1

Hi windy 

Curious do you have the frame number . It may help us identify how the frame was built .The plungers are very distinctive and quite basic and bearing in mind the front forks modification wonder if this is a home engineered conversion.

Jenkinov

I have looked at the triumph  TT and race bikes from 1946 but can't see any that feature this suspension but have found widely sold kits post war produced by Amen or Santee to modify bikes into a rear plunger with instructions...

Triumphs suspension modifications followed race team modifications at such events as the TT senior . These bikes featured heavily in the magazine's of the time and whilst exciting to research i can't find this modification ....

A second route the home engineered conversion shows the rear plunger looks very similar to plunger s made by Santee ..

Jenkinov

Thanks for the research Jenkinov.

The frame number appears to be TF700, which suggests its a pre war T100 Tiger 500?

I don't have any history apart from the bike belonged to the guy I bought if offs late father, who had used it as a field bike, then sold the engine & stored the bike in their old chicken shed covered in cardboard.

The bottom frame tube appears to be continuous from the plunger to the front of the frame, so I can't work out how a standard rigid frame could have easily been modified to take the plunger rear. However it might become apparent if the frame is cleaned up a little.

Rusty Triumph Tiger 010.JPG

Rusty triumph tiger 016.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 10:33 AM, welbike said:

Bit high in the frame though? 

Lex

I think the crank centre is about level with the wheel centres in that pic, but I could probably drop the engine a little more