Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

As I plod on with the battery carrier I have now taken delivery of a load more new nuts and bolts which means I can finally fit some more of the smaller components.

Currently the headlamp shell I am using is a reproduction and as such not drilled for the cabling to enter or leave the bowl. I cannot seam to find a good enough picture which shows this? Can anyone shed some ‘light’ onto this for me, please? Can I ask, what is this shown on the glass of the headlamp? How can it be replicated?

CC2D8188-55BF-4BFE-BF7B-06F27EF50D56.jpeg

06899CD3-2B8C-471B-AE6D-1965AE3D5CB1.jpeg

My original headlamp has a hole about 3/8" diam in the center about 2 1/2" up from the edge of the bowl. Those early blackouts where simply cut from black manila card (available from Hobbycraft or online I guess) a half circle hole in the middle and placed behind the glass. The Lucas logo medallion is available from "Vintage Supplies" 

The factory picture has a switch panel so is different.  Ron

DSCF3446.JPG

DSCF3450.JPG

G3 014.jpg

If I remember the gas paint was often brush applied because it needed to be replaced regularly. The traces I’ve found inside lamps is yellow with the stuff exposed to air oxidising to a brown colour. Not sure what colour it turns when exposed to gas but I bet Ron knows and maybe even tried it.

There's 2 sorts of gas detection paint, 1939 to about 1941 it was canary yellow, after that it was the MK2 version, that is the mustard colour like Ron as, I do have several tins of the later type, but never found the early type yet, only on original parts.

Lex

2016-01-14 20.40.20 nieuw LED lampje.jpg

IMG_6502.jpg

• Like 1

Steve my Lucas badge is 7/8". My gas paint is the original stuff which came from John Tinley and I have a small amount in a jar. It's the mustard colour as you can see, which I prefer to that other gay colour!!😏 I think it turns pink or purple once in contact with gas. 

The whole gas mask and gas detection systems during the war were an unnecessary precaution, after lessons learnt from WW1, the Germans never used it. Ron

Edited by Ron

Big leaps forward this weekend, the front mudguard is now on, front wheel back in, gearbox finished & levers on. I have managed to source a wartime dated regulator but I may swap this at a later date for a solid stat alternative, I am yet to find an early dates MRC1 to use as a donor. Looking at some period photos it appears the value lever is fitted on the outside of the combi clutch lever instead of immediately after the rubber bar grip.....this makes the decompression lever a little awkward to pull, when needed. What is the general consensus and what is correct?

9D076D76-22E6-434F-AE90-F51F6F91FCDD.jpeg

814C2A11-563E-4B50-99AE-A986EB0B7DAD.jpeg

03857A6D-3A27-462E-9066-9489FA7F4A30.jpeg

A1973508-8708-4C0F-9BF0-46933A2AA633.jpeg

E0580C7E-5D1A-4E87-B3B0-0FAFE16C00CC.jpeg

Ah, great, the saddle bungies, but still some DIY to do, make sure you don't use the lengths as noted in the VAOS parts list!! this is way too sloppy! 

And what whas the price for them? I need to do my second set of Big 4 saddles, that were just delivered yesterday! if not too much, I will just order them.

Levers as Ron said,

Lex

IMG_1229.jpg