Triumph 3SW

pawelcen

6 minutes ago, Ron said:

No date Rik. Looking for it is when I read the B4 small print with a spy glass. It looks like I need them on both mine then? Which is good fun finding 1" switches!! Ron

If you're not running steel headlamp masks, then probably. The Wassell Lucas replicas of the clamp-on type are quite good. Although they state 7/8", I can find no trace of Lucas ever offering alternative sizes. I'm fairly sure the clamp is universal and will cope with both sizes.  You do need the "rat turd" type lever rather than the diamond shape though.

010.jpg

That line drawing shows no dip switch. Is it from the instruction book that covers both models (3SW & 5SW)? That book is not dated and was probably produced after 1940 by which time not many more 3SW's were produced.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for some correct 1" dip switches (Without much hope). For now I'll just leave them as they are.  

Ron

Hi,

I have an idea to connect the lights differently than in the instructions:
T- Tail & Parking Ligh
L- Dipp Beam (like low)
H-Main Beam (like high).
With this connection, there is no need for a dipp switch and the bike looks original from the outside.
What do you think about this solution?

Pawel

Edited by pawelcen

I see no point in that Pawel. There is not much difference between low or high beam on these and it dosen't alter the fact that the dip switch as an original ornament is missing. I'd just wire it as per the diagram and fit a dip switch at a later date if you find one.......Do you intend to do night time riding? I never do if I can help it. I fit an LED pilot light bulb and use that for day time riding.   Ron

The point is that I don't have to explain at the MOT inspection that there was only one light. And yes, it has all the lights in accordance with the regulations. 😁

What were the regulations in force in 1939/40? Is it like in my manual?

Of course, I don't ride at night, even with a new bike.
I drive less and less because there is too much traffic and it is dangerous. 

Only for special events, such as the last "End of the 2023 motorcycle season in Lodz" (NSU Quick '39).

Cheers

Pawel

P.S. On the left side of the handlebar, a dip switch from Bosch. It's similar.

20231008_090515.jpg

20231008_090431.jpg

OK I don't know the legal requirements over there. Here we have "historic" status, with no MOT and free tax. Even so we would have had "Grandfather" rights, which often allowed things that wouldn't apply to a modern vehicle. Ron

There is no requirement in the UK to have a main beam on a pre-type approval vehicle, the only requirement is that they don't dazzle. Almost uniquely, when rear brake lights were made compulsory in the 1950s, that legislation was retrospective and applied to vehicles from the 1930s too.

WD motorcycles were of course exactly that and normal civilian regulations didn't apply.

On the subject of those switches, Ron,  they were used as late as the 1970s on the two-tone horns of Commando Interpols...clearly on 7/8" bars and I had no trouble fitting one to a 1" handlebar.

The post-war dip switches that you often see on WD bikes (I don't have a photo handy) came in LV6 packaging marked "Switches, Dipping to suit 7/8" and 1" Bar, for motorcycles..

• Like 1

Hi,

The catalog for 1939 includes Part no. 380,057 Dimmer switch (on handlebar), all models with instrumental panel.

I guess we can assume that the 1939/40 models had a switch.

My drivers manual without dip switch is probably from later years. Just like the W2053A diagram.
During the war, materials such as copper were saved and unnecessary equipment was reduced. With headlight mask, changing the lights was not necessary.

Thank you all for your help.

Pawel

1_1.jpg

64 65_1.jpg

That is the civilian list, but my 5SW parts list shows the same part number for the dip switch.  Which is the Lucas 31482 that both Rik and I have shown. My combined 5SW and 3SW instruction book along with my 3SW maintenance manual must have been printed for the later fitment of black out masks. 

The next jumble or bike shop I go to, I'll take a pice of 1" tube to test one of those switches before I pay out over £20 each.  Ron

Edited by Ron

2 hours ago, Ron said:

The next jumble or bike shop I go to, I'll take a pice of 1" tube to test one of those switches before I pay out over £20 each.  Ron

Ron, I never go anywhere without a 1" tube, but if it's a cold jumble, it could be down to a half-inch !🫢

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...