Fordson WOT6

The original light set up for WOT6  is pictured in this thread:

The original lights were ok for dimming during the war but not sufficient today, I think that`s what REME 245 had in mind.

A friend bought these chinese LED lights for his Bedford and they look great. Steel housing and very good illumination. Cheap too. Have no indicators so these would need to be fitted extra.  The link seems not to be working so go to www.aliexpress.com and search for Taillight For Harley 883 Sportster Dyna Cafe Racer Bobber Custom Brake Stop Tail Light  (variant in black housing)

With the pick-axe mount I have the same on my WOT8, same round one, so that must be original. There could have been more pick-axe variants perhaps.

Edited by Duson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 67burwood said:

Thanks for your reply, the lights pictured are a new modern equivalent of Jeep / dodge rear lights with both tail and brake lights, why do you say they not be sufficient ? Is it size ?

The lights in the last post of the link I posted are the correct WW2 ones for your truck but if you look at them the anount of light they show is not sufficent for modern roads.   If you want to fit them I am  suggesting having a trailer board or magnetic light clusters you can fit when driving on the road at night.   You can hide a trailer socket somewhere suitable.    Depends on how accurate you want to be.   The lights you picture have never been used on British vehicles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 07BE16 said:

All mountings for pick- axe heads I have seen have been oval as it stops the head rotating. has this been changed at some time in the vehicles past? The pick axe head looks standard.

The Mount is original but I’ve been told that civilian pick axes might be different. 

5 hours ago, Hair Bear said:

I've followed all the way through and seriously jealous of your fabricating skills. As an untrained observer, if I'd not seen your pictures, I would have attempted to fit the rifle the other way around so the barrel stood more vertical and tighter to the cab's panel so I'm guessing there's a reason for the orientation as it is?

To be honest I don’t know which way the rifle should be mounted, I just fitted it the way I thought it should go, I am happy to be corrected. 
And thank you for the complement 👍

5 hours ago, Duson said:

The original light set up for WOT6  is pictured in this thread:

The original lights were ok for dimming during the war but not sufficient today, I think that`s what REME 245 had in mind.

A friend bought these chinese LED lights for his Bedford and they look great. Steel housing and very good illumination. Cheap too. Have no indicators so these would need to be fitted extra.  The link seems not to be working so go to www.aliexpress.com and search for Taillight For Harley 883 Sportster Dyna Cafe Racer Bobber Custom Brake Stop Tail Light  (variant in black housing)

With the pick-axe mount I have the same on my WOT8, same round one, so that must be original. There could have been more pick-axe variants perhaps.

Hi Duson 

I might  need my eyes tested but I didn’t see any rear lights in the thread ( great pictures thought ) 

so basically the rear lights I’ve pictured would look right but there possibly not bright enough for modern use  👍

5 hours ago, REME 245 said:

The lights in the last post of the link I posted are the correct WW2 ones for your truck but if you look at them the anount of light they show is not sufficent for modern roads.   If you want to fit them I am  suggesting having a trailer board or magnetic light clusters you can fit when driving on the road at night.   You can hide a trailer socket somewhere suitable.    Depends on how accurate you want to be.   The lights you picture have never been used on British vehicles.

All received, thanks for the advice. 👍

7 hours ago, 67burwood said:

Hi Duson 

I might  need my eyes tested but I didn’t see any rear lights in the thread ( great pictures thought ) 

so basically the rear lights I’ve pictured would look right but there possibly not bright enough for modern use  👍

For some reason the aliexpress links do not work when copied but found the same lamp on ebay here for double the price of aliexpress though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/373308000163?hash=item56eae407a3:g:jvEAAOSwd0RhNb1W I attached the picture of the lamp in case the link did not work either.

With the rear lights, it is better to go for safety first and mount non-original bigger lights to be seen on todays roads, one need to consider that our trucks are slow and camouflaged. These have steel housing and are LED. Nothing for purists but as I wrote, safety first here 😉

rear led light.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Duson said:

With the rear lights, it is better to go for safety first and mount non-original bigger lights to be seen on todays roads, one need to consider that our trucks are slow and camouflaged. These have steel housing and are LED. Nothing for purists but as I wrote, safety first here 😉

Completely agree 👍

These are the 2 pattern of war-time lights discussed.  Left is Lucas and right Butler.

They tended to alternate between different contracts depending on what was available.  Quite if Butlers were used throughout the production of Ford vehicles others can comment.   As discussed these will not throw out enough light for modern road condotions at night.   Hence my suggestion to have removeable modern lights you can take off at a show.   If you are not worried about having modern indicators etc visable when trying to portray a war-time senerio it is not a problem.

light 2.jpg

light 1.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REME 245 said:

These are the 2 pattern of war-time lights discussed.  Left is Lucas and right Butler.

They tended to alternate between different contracts depending on what was available.  Quite if Butlers were used throughout the production of Ford vehicles others can comment.   As discussed these will not throw out enough light for modern road condotions at night.   Hence my suggestion to have removeable modern lights you can take off at a show.   If you are not worried about having modern indicators etc visable when trying to portray a war-time senerio it is not a problem.

light 2.jpg

light 1.jpeg

I see what your talking about now and  yes they are far to small for safety reasons, so options are find a pair of originals as above just for show and have a separate plug in trailer board for road use or fit period looking modern lamps and have people point out there not correct 🤔

I think fit original with a trailer board is the preferred route but that depends on price and availability of a pair of original lamps. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hair Bear said:

I've followed all the way through and seriously jealous of your fabricating skills. As an untrained observer, if I'd not seen your pictures, I would have attempted to fit the rifle the other way around so the barrel stood more vertical and tighter to the cab's panel so I'm guessing there's a reason for the orientation as it is?

Following your suggestion I tried fitting the rifle the other way around

19145AC6-512C-4535-A42D-0D69AFBDBBF5.thumb.jpeg.30ca6ea3aaacc79e6c748c492ea33ced.jpeg

But unfortunately it doesn’t fit

EA7689C2-7549-4FEE-9038-D54994CF5C10.thumb.jpeg.91ee297551a5ed5313994cc7fd3395f4.jpeg

840B77BD-2299-4845-B4DF-1E9974B2C3CB.thumb.jpeg.2d8fb5932faa9ada02a497cfa3d070b9.jpeg

This could be because the clips are in the wrong place, they have been fitted back in the same place they were removed from but that doesn’t mean they were in the right place to start with,  given its previous rebuild nothing surprises me.

Back to the pick axe head 🤨 I decided to have a rummage through my garage and found one of my old work pick axes, I removed the handle to compare 

0C9E3638-B88E-42FE-92E0-D32FFC99DE8C.thumb.jpeg.d5bf67eb7f2c88c45e5547219a5d73fe.jpeg

civilian left, 1942 military right

9D1C84E5-430D-4AEB-B363-29B4AE3B4B90.thumb.jpeg.6a7aeb457a28ccb4d444094192093350.jpeg

Fits like a glove 😬

These are the current rear lights fitted which definitely Aren’t staying 

594E2DFF-3E62-41CC-AAE2-041DCA4FFF67.thumb.jpeg.edfed52fa110019f1c9484b1c7c1d05e.jpeg

1 hour ago, GTB MAN said:

Have found some pictures of two 

WOT 6 at tilbury do not know the date ? And some original Ford pictures & parts dig for lights for Wot 3 that might be the same. Have more Ford pictures if want any view of the mv let me know

145A3319-0A81-4728-AC3A-B506E5D5A4A2.jpeg

09A8E9E8-2CDD-42BF-8B37-819A9C885A95.jpeg

B2DA1AC4-A71F-4B40-93FB-4EAE47A0ADC8.jpeg

991C2F61-CB54-485A-8985-4F96D9989800.jpeg

503FDC6D-9FE3-4167-A37C-ADB9E7359D6E.jpeg

8CFE7A10-046A-46C7-91E2-B6DD7E4A69D4.jpeg

AEF089EB-580B-40AA-9074-EAC34325F197.jpeg

5451C606-FD26-454A-B71B-CFB72815A0C9.jpeg

54A52563-03D7-44C5-A91E-EF68C6B59AB5.jpeg

Thank you very much for the pictures, there a great reference for missing parts on mine.

Does anyone know what the canvas roll is for?

1AE6F493-54FE-4ACB-8312-22F269E52F4A.thumb.jpeg.7f383c3ef3b79822d6f8cfffd5daa88f.jpeg

5 minutes ago, 67burwood said:

I am all for recycling but…..I might just say “ to hell with the budget “ and buy a new trailer board !! 😬

Don't forget, a lot of these trailer boards will be too narrow for the rear of a lorry as the lamps have to be within a certain distance from outer edge of vehicle, also you will need round reflectors and not triangle ones as a trailer would have.

On my Bedford I used the military type glass screw-in lamps (as on Land Rovers, and all in 70's and 80's).. You can take originality too far sometimes and safety is more important on the roads.

• Like 1

Don't forget the trailer boards will come with triangular reflectors that mark it as a trailer ! They would need to be changed.

How about the magnetic remote light units, they are powered by a rechargeable battery giving around 12hrs and will fit any vehicle.  Just need to check the voltage for the transmitter unit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

On my Bedford I used the military type glass screw-in lamps (as on Land Rovers, and all in 70's and 80's).. You can take originality too far sometimes and safety is more important on the roads.

The glass screw in lamps are a good idea and I do have some, I fairly sure they were used from the 50s onwards so wouldn’t look out of place as the truck was overhauled in 56. 

7 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

Don't forget the trailer boards will come with triangular reflectors that mark it as a trailer ! They would need to be changed.

How about the magnetic remote light units, they are powered by a rechargeable battery giving around 12hrs and will fit any vehicle.  Just need to check the voltage for the transmitter unit.

Tbh it’s unlikely that I will use a trailer board, I would prefer to fit modern period looking lamps for better visibility, I least that way you wouldn’t forget to connect up a trailer board. 

Out of interest do the remote lights your referring to operate as brake lights as well ?

11 minutes ago, 67burwood said:

Tbh it’s unlikely that I will use a trailer board, I would prefer to fit modern period looking lamps for better visibility, I least that way you wouldn’t forget to connect up a trailer board. 

Out of interest do the remote lights your referring to operate as brake lights as well ?

There are many out there and used by recovery companies.  Some on eBay such as;

Wireless Led Rear Tail Lights Battery Operated USB Magnetic Tow Towing Trailer | eBay

And voltage tolerant for 12 or 24v, would need a 7 pin socket but that can be hidden.  Pretty useful for general use and don't take up much room.   Just a thought.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

There are many out there and used by recovery companies.  Some on eBay such as;

Wireless Led Rear Tail Lights Battery Operated USB Magnetic Tow Towing Trailer | eBay

And voltage tolerant for 12 or 24v, would need a 7 pin socket but that can be hidden.  Pretty useful for general use and don't take up much room.   Just a thought.

It’s a good idea for extra lighting that can be easily removed, I didn’t know they existed 👍

20 minutes ago, 67burwood said:

If you do decide not to use a trailer board, and I understand why you might not wish to, then consider fitting ex-military lights such as the Army might well have fitted themselves, had the vehicle remained in service.  I am thinking of the simple round mounts such as were fitted widely to military vehicles from the 1950s on.  They have screw-on lenses and you can use small, glass lenses, or larger plastic ones changing them as you wish.  With good bulbs they are more than adequate for modern roads.  Have a look here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115124640027?hash=item1acdf6991b:g:rz8AAOSwGnphqfly  But, I am not suggesting you pay this sort of price for brand new ones, there are usually plenty on eBay and elsewhere for considerably less.  Here are the later plastic lenses: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304263853750?hash=item46d789f6b6:g:AdsAAOSwMAlhrlnp  Mounting them is simple - make up a simple bracket to bolt to the vehicle out of a piece of sheet metal and you're away.  They will look "right" and are relatively unobstrusive.  I have run out of spares, now, but I am sure there will be plenty of people on the forum who will have a few knocking around who would happily donate them for the cost of the postage.  (And if not, they're usually about a fiver at a Land Rover spares day).

10 68

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 67burwood said:

The glass screw in lamps are a good idea and I do have some, I fairly sure they were used from the 50s onwards so wouldn’t look out of place as the truck was overhauled in 56. 

Here is a photo of the WOT6 Workshop truck that I was involved in restoring, the lights are unobtrusive and bring you in line with lighting regs.

After all, if owners are going in for full originality, there would only be one masked headlamp fitted, and no indicators or brake lights. 

WOT6 rear.pdf

• Like 2