HMVF TV Soviet Hardware

Marmite!!

WOW!

That is some impressive footage Lee!

Quick question to the Tank driver amongst us - what the hell is it like to be in some armour whilst going that speed and over that terrain like that! It must be one hell of a ride?!

Ask the one's with no teeth & probably a broken tank :whistle:

Who - me?? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

You've got to admit - the way they enter the water in amphibious vehicles in that clip is a LOT more impressive than the text book manner for the British Army!!

Neil - are you still coming down to HMVF Towers in your OT-90??

Thats the theory Jack. Either that or the Stalwart - but from the photos of this years event I think the OT would be better suited.

Will have to see if anyone wants to share a low-loader down as the consensus of opinion seems to be that at 2.9m wide it might too wide for a drive down... Got a question in with a friend in the traffic police right now though.....

You up for a high-speed run then if thats OK with the powers that be????

Who - me?? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

You've got to admit - the way they enter the water in amphibious vehicles in that clip is a LOT more impressive than the text book manner for the British Army!!

I once floated a Scorpion in a tank in Ludgershall in 1977. The squadron leader (I was his driver at the time) wanted to experience it (we had just cobverted to Recce from tanks so he had never had the pleasure). Being his driver and being a qualified CVR(T) driver myself, he blagged us a Scorpion and off we went.

ISTR entry to the water was at a quite steep angle, maybe 45 degrees.

However a couple of years later they ripped off the float screens from all CVR(T)s 1. because they were far to fragile and 2. because all the rivers in Germany, while they provided good defensive lines due to their generally north-south alignment, they also had banks too steep to enable us to get into the water anyway.

Since our role was to withdraw in contact over the reserve demolitions which we ourselves protected, demolishing them as we went, there was no tactical need anyway.

After the wall came down ISTR 15/19H provided the first NATO battlegroup to exercise in the newly-friendly Poland and I am told were mortified to discover that the Commies had diverted and landscaped entire rivers to match exactly those in West Germany so that 1st echelon troops could practise crossing river obstacles without reducing speed.