Sunken Dodge in Normandy

Nick Johns

If that was a brand new Range Rover it would be a total loss.

Being a Dodge, pull it out, pressure wash it, change the fluids, and go again.  Dodges were actually waded at that depth with a waterproofing kit.

Did they recover it ? I was at Longues Sur Mur Battery yesterday, Didn't know there was something on as I got to the edge of the cliffs there was a big gathering, don't know what for? as all I seen was a rescue inflatable and a rescue boat behind it, I doubled back and made a sharp exit as the more crowds gathered and the road was grid locked, no way was anyone getting out of there till late evening, I had a dead line to meet, need to get to lidl to get some beer.....lot to be said about using a car park and walking. 

No, In the Berlingo van, no WD bikes ready as yet, but brought My AJS 350 with me, wish I'd done the 12 volt conversion before I'd left, I brought my tools to do it here but forgot the 12v bits..... not worried but the box with the bits had my back up Hexi cooker. Think I,ve got enough gas left for a few cups of tea, salad on the menu tonight anyway, with some fine and cheese. 

SIGH

At some point, if not already, the owner of that truck is going to be made aware of this thread and will read through it - if they have not already done so.  😔   I would suggest kindness in the comments, please.

If the owner is reading this, feel free to chip in with some comments.  I'm assuming the truck was recovered with some expense and embarrassment, but nobody died - it is a Dodge after all.

Gordon

• Like 3

Dodges take a bit of killing.  I recall one Command Car chassis I saw that was down to cardboard-thin after being used on a beach for decades, but one immersion in salt water shouldn't kill it.

Really good pressure wash, hubs off, diffs out, drain and flush transmission and transfer case, wash and flush brake lines and components.  You would probably pull the sump and really clean out the engine internally.  Distributor, generator, and starter into a bucket of paraffin at least, if not a full strip and clean.  Regulator box should clean up OK, I can really only think of instruments as probably cheaper to replace than rebuild.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:28 PM, Richard Farrant said:

I wondered if it was TonyB's Dodge, but it looks like it might be a 6x6

No didn't manage to get there. I did get stuck a few years back, but shifted into 4 wheel drive and the the Old Girl saved my embarresment.  A lot of embarresment and cleaning I'm sure but as Gordon says, it's a Dodge, the designers allowed for such things.

Edited by Tony B

As an aside I used to earn extra pennies sitting on the slip with my old Austin Gipsy, pulling hire cars out that thought it would be easier to turn on the beach rather than reverse. Rules for the beach one, go in pairs, two' follow your wheel tracks, you know it's firm, and three stay far enough apart that if the front gets stuck you are on firm to pull them out, four  as Gas says, time and tide wait for no man.  

Edited by Tony B

I would avoid pressure wash to get salt out. probably best to let it soak in fresh water and rinsing.

Pressure wash could push salt water deeper or am I mistaken?

Hopefully the Jeep and Dodge didn't suffer too much from its swim.

Salt water would go everywhere - pressure washing would get rid of a lot of it.

I did hear that people who have to deal with this regularly have been known to recover the vehicle from salt water, and then flood it again in fresh water, then start the drying out process.

It would be essential to clean out every void, seal, and cavity.  When I got my DUKW the axle hubs, pillow block and so on were packed with grease just to stop more than trace amounts of water getting in

4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I would avoid pressure wash to get salt out. probably best to let it soak in fresh water and rinsing.

Pressure wash could push salt water deeper or am I mistaken?

Hopefully the Jeep and Dodge didn't suffer too much from its swim.

Of course you are correct, but i am not aware of many places one could soak a dodge in fresh water. my point re the pressure washer is that there are many in France and it really depends how close the lance is held to the vehicle......common sense should be used.

Vehicles used on the beaches of Australia are usually parked with a garden sprinkler under them for a day or so to wash of the underside.

The top side I would hose do similar.

We gave our Range Rover a good swim in the Ocean in 1994, pressure washed it the next day and its still going strong. This was at the end of the Australian Safari where the organisers set a course that takes you into the sea.

I'm all for the pressure wash.

Came across a Land Rover Discovery a couple of years back that had been in Jersey. I knew from the address on the log book it would have been parked against a wall that the sea came directly over at times. The roof line around the guttering was completly rotted to the point a few bangs with a hammer and it came off as one pice. Rest was fine. 😀 Our drill for beach vehicles was low pressure hose off, then pressure wash from back to front underneath at a flat angle trying not to hit the vehicle with the full force.

• 2 months later...