Fuel Gauge

Mark

Is there a way of putting a float into the tank? You could use something like a Land rover unit. the problem will be the length of the float arm. you may not get accuracy but at least it would mark the embarrassment level. As yours is 12 volt there are plenty of candidates. Wiring is easy earth, tank unit, gauge power. A hole can be cut in the tank with a pipe cutter drill. WARNING- Any drilling on fuel tanks, empty and inert tank first, one way of inerting is to take the exhaust gas from another engine and feed it into the tank. Another way is a co2 extinguisher fired into the tank. PS do any of this outdoors.

HI All

How easy would it be to put a fuel gauge in my Jimmy, it currently does not have one except a marked stick?.

It is 12 volt as well was this normal or were they 24 volt originally.

Thanks

mark are you saying that you have no hole for a unit or that yours is knackered?

OK thanks for that , it is going to be a problem then to get a 12v sender unit and gauge then??

Mark, I've got several 12V gauges FS but frankly I wouldn't bother except as dash ornaments. WW2 era truck fuel gauges were/are cr@p (in my experience). The stick will be much more reliable :-D

Mark, I've got several 12V gauges FS but frankly I wouldn't bother except as dash ornaments. WW2 era truck fuel gauges were/are cr@p (in my experience). The stick will be much more reliable :-D

Its a pont made, but I will see if I have the hole blanked in the tank, if I have not then I will stay with the stick. Ta matey

OK thanks for that , it is going to be a problem then to get a 12v sender unit and gauge then??

Hi Mark.

I would go for one if you can as mine was pretty spot on. You can use a 6v unit (like mine) but you will have to put a reduce in the sender line ( think that is the right term/product/gadget but Degsy or others are best place to confirm that). I have yet to do mine :oops:

Hi Mark.

I would go for one if you can as mine was pretty spot on. You can use a 6v unit (like mine) but you will have to put a reduce in the sender line ( think that is the right term/product/gadget but Degsy or others are best place to confirm that). I have yet to do mine :oops:

The item your referring to Jack is a voltage regulator a LM7806 is one type available from most electrical components suppliers . It reduces the voltage to 6v from 12v at 1amp (if your running a 12v system)as the sender unit and gauge's were designed to run on a 6 volts system. I've never had a gauge work correctly ,it's got a lot to do with the way the gauges were wired during manufacture.I'm going to do some experiments using a modern day 12v smiths gauge wired to the GMC sender unit to see if i can calibrate it using resistors to get the right deflection on the gauge ,I'll let you know how i get on

regards

Steve

The item your referring to Jack is a voltage regulator a LM7806 is one type available from most electrical components suppliers .

Steve

Great advice Steve - I will get one sorted as I haven't had a gauge since I went over to 12 volt (still the best thing that I have done).