The Salonika front from the other point of view

Ted170

Hi guys, as the Salonika front was mentioned in the Peerless thread, I'll share here some motoring photos from the other perspective - the Bulgarian/German positions. I'll add here photos from time to time, when dig some from my collection. Starting with a Bulgarian field repairshop, one of the men is the uncle of my late friend, himself a great oldtimer enthusiast and restorer. The car is most likely NSU, by the shape of the radiator.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Like 1

Here is another one, the HQ of the 2nd army plus German officers. Lots of staff cars and a captured British plane - a few British and french planes were captured intact or repaired, and used in combat missions by Bulgarian pilots.

Untitled-991.jpg

25 years fast forward. The year is 1942, the place is an old hangar at the Peynedrdjik seaplane base at the Black sea near Varna, Bulgaria. Surprisingly a few of these old WW1 vehicles have survived, stacked in there. Unfortunately all has been cleared postwar, today not a vehicle, not even a spare part is known to exist, neither from the WW1 cars, nor from the trucks.

avtomobili1.jpg

Edited by Ted170

1 hour ago, Ted170 said:

Detail with the aircraft, most likely AW FK3 Nr. 6219, landed by error in Bulgarian territory and used in numerous combat flights. The prop seems to be turning.

The young British pilot, Lieutenant Stowew, with his Armstrong-Whitworth FK3 No. 6219, landed in error on the Bulgarian territory in early 1917

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ted170 said:

Detail with the aircraft, most likely AW FK3 Nr. 6219, landed by error in Bulgarian territory and used in numerous combat flights. The prop seems to be turning.

Untitled-991.jpg

The young British pilot, Lieutenant Stowew, with his Armstrong-Whitworth FK3 No. 6219, landed in error on the Bulgarian territory in early 1917

• Like 1

I am very glad that you like the photos! Won;t be able to show too many, as these are too rare. But going through my collection, still finding some:

The year is 1916, German made Mannesmann Mulag trucks lined at Gorna Djumaya /today Blagoevgrad/, a Bulgarian town in the rear of the Salonika front, a major point for traffic and distribution of the army materiel.

ScanImage291.jpg