Me again! with a Landrover issue!

paul connor

Question

Ok, landrover has been running fine.. done many miles!

From time to time the alternator light has come on.. but wiggle the big lead at the bottom it goes out! says to me a loose or broken connector.

Last night got called out to pick up my new girly from a party and the landrover went well, but upon getting home i stupidly turned the lights from on! on convoy tail! and did not notice!

So this morning upon trying to start the batteries were near dead and not able to fire the engine! and not able to get the new lovely lady to work! oops!

RAC come out, and jumped the landy.. upon testing the battery charge seemed the alternator was not charging?? odd i though as i have used it for 2-3 weeks and its been fine?

he tested the connector coming to the alternator and it had 2 seperate 12v lives ? is this norm?

Im just not convinced i need a new one! and his way of testing the batteries was not really convincing to me! i would use a volt meter! he used some odd thing that clipped around the wire and measured something with out making contact??!

If i do need one, where is best to get one? its the 90A FFR one 24V

help would be grand.... any ideaS?

12 answers to this question

Im just not convinced i need a new one! and his way of testing the batteries was not really convincing to me! i would use a volt meter! he used some odd thing that clipped around the wire and measured something with out making contact??!

Clip meters are very good at messuring voltage & current...

Last night got called out to pick up my new girly from a party and the landrover went well, but upon getting home i stupidly turned the lights from on! on convoy tail! and did not notice!

So this morning upon trying to start the batteries were near dead and not able to fire the engine! and not able to get the new lovely lady to work! oops!

Paul fit a battery isolator switch then at least everything is turned off. Unless you forget to use the isolator. :whistle:

Frosts do a good one that fits straight onto the terminal of the battery, great if you don't want to drill holes.

Mines in the L/H handbrake plate - out of the way yet accessible without having to remove lumps of steel lid!! :-D :-D :-D

Saved my bacon a few times when I've thought I've turned the lights off and left the tails on!!