halftracks

• 3 months later...

Best of luck with the project Halftrackman. I'd just point out that if you fancy having a beer in an English pub, be best if you got your skates on. Pubs here are closing at quite a rate!

Hi Ross,  I seen this on tv about the pubs closing. Dam      what else is going on in England.My family the Watson,s left England years ago.  Why did they leave, so we could help with inventing  the telly phone,   Bell first words on the phone, was (  Watson come here)B|     I sure would like to visit England, but it will never happing.   I like rock and roll,. beer , good looking gals and fast cars. 

• Like 1

Well there's still plenty of beer around HTM but most of it seems to be bought from supermarkets. The prices charged by breweries in the pubs they own is a big factor. Then there was the smoking ban too, that didn't help. Pubs were often the focal point of a neighbourhood for my generation  but not so for young people now.  I'm with you on the beer and the rock and roll and the fast cars but got a bit too long in the tooth for the gals. 

A grainy picture that might interest you. The US  vehicles sent across to the UK in WW2 were landed in Liverpool in partially dismantled form. The job of reassembly and setting up was given to a big truck main dealers and arrived in such volume that there was no alternative but to store the completed vehicles in the surrounding streets. I drive up the road in the picture every day and never fail to think of the rows of vehicles that once queued up there. I know most of the vehicles stayed in Europe after the war but I wonder if the HS tractors went back to the US?

ht.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ross said:

A grainy picture that might interest you. The US  vehicles sent across to the UK in WW2 were landed in Liverpool in partially dismantled form. The job of reassembly and setting up was given to a big truck main dealers and arrived in such volume that there was no alternative but to store the completed vehicles in the surrounding streets. I drive up the road in the picture every day and never fail to think of the rows of vehicles that once queued up there. I know most of the vehicles stayed in Europe after the war but I wonder if the HS tractors went back to the US?

ht.JPG

I think those vehicles were assembled by Pearsons. A few years ago archive photos from Pearsons were published in a book. I recollect some were initially posted on this forum by the late David Hayward, who was involved with the book publishing.

regards, Richard

Thanks for the great pictures, post all the pictures you can.    I think most of the HST went to Germany after the war.The numbers that I put on my HST   front bumper  is a post war.  That unit was in Germany to  fight will the Russians if need be   .Thank God it never happen,  Also some went to Korea.      Well the yellow HST is a M4A1  HST, it had the wide tracks with duck bill on each side of track, bumper were wider and  the fenders, That a sportey hot rod HTS

Thanks for the great  pictures at the museum,   I was in the Netherlands in 1983 with the us army doing a reforger, with the 1st cav, We were at budle, and other towns, ever town we went through hundreds of people lined the streets.  Also was at vinlo, but without our tanks.  They were wonderful people in the Netherlands.  I still have some gilders

• 2 weeks later...

Even the Austrian Army got some leftover High Speed Tractors when the Allied Forces left the country in 1955.

See this facebook Video of the Traditionsverband Heereskraftfahrwesen.

Here more info provided in english

http://www.hkfw.at/en/our-vehicles/80-allis-chalmers-m4-high-speed-tractor-18t-2-en

Motorfahrer 

Edited by motorfahrer
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...