Jimmy Wobble

Mark

Knowledgeable People

When driving home in the jimmy after picking it up I experienced a "wobble" at approximately 40 mph, it was though the whole of the cab was twisting from side to side (quite violent) and as soon as I slowed down it went, now there was nothing coming through the steering wheel to indicate that the wheels are not balanced and it seemed as I went over a bump it started BUT not every time, has anyone had this with theirs, is it something to do with tyre pressures or dampers etc?? or would the weight of the workshop body on the back have something to do with it.

If someone has any suggestions please let me know, as at 35 mph its nice but slow.

Thanks

Had this with jimmy just after putting a pair of NOS Uniroyals on the front, at 35mph. I had a job to hold on!

Tyres pressures were ok so had wheels balanced - one was way, way out. They have to use the stick-on flat weights but a little drab and you don't notice it.

Instant cure :-) :-) :-)

:banana: :banana:

Or try distributing the beer cans evenly across both sides..........

I have read about this problem many times but I have never had it myself. (no wheel gags please) what tires have you on there Mark? Just a matter interest.

What ever it is, it can be easily fixed - that is the nice thing about GMC's.

Fellow brother.

Jack.

I second the above -

Mark can make the tea - whilst Mike changes the wheels. :-D

Vince can supervise and I can supervise Vince - (management being my area of expertise).

Mark, if you park the Jimmy in the sun, chances are Mikes knees will get some colour. :goodidea:

See ya there.

Markheliops

I second the above -

Mark can make the tea - whilst Mike changes the wheels. :-D

Vince can supervise and I can supervise Vince - (management being my area of expertise).

Mark, if you park the Jimmy in the sun, chances are Mikes knees will get some colour. :goodidea:

See ya there.

Markheliops

:argh:

Mark,

This could be a balance issue. I know a couple of IMPS members who are GMC owners near Whitstable, they had the tyre companies insert a balancing medium in the tubes. It is very fine beads which do not clog, as soon as the wheel turns they spread out and self-balance.

Thanks, have you got an address for this please K :-D

I had a similar problem on my jeep when I first got it :help:. Everyone said that's normal it's just a bit of wheel shimmy. Trust what I had was not normal in anyway shape of form :eek2: :eek2:. I would hit about 40mph and the steering would go wild :banghead: , the wheels would bounce off the ground twisting the chassis, the only way to stop it was to slow down. I also had it over bumps, not every time but enough to notice it.

I tried tyre pressures, wheel balancing and swapping the wheels around and nothing cured it :azn:

I then looked at the steering, and I found my problem :tup:. I had a seized tie rod on closest to the wheel. I changed that, then I could go flat out in my jeep with no wobbles or shakes :yay: :yay:.

My two pence worth for you :whistle:.

The steering felt fine hence I never even thought about it. It was only by getting hold of the tie rod with both hands and trying to twist it back and forth that I found that one end was not moving.

The only time I had a problem was at speed, there was obviously not enough movement to allow the wheel it's natural movement whilst driving. I'm not an expert but this is what I discovered with mine.

Just learned that the new water-based tyre sealers act in a similar way to the balancing medium Kewelde described.

But DO NOT USE both, or you end up with lots of hard marbles which keep rolling around after the wheel has stopped!!!

I still can't see how this method of balancing would work in all cases, but apparently it does..........

I'm told ATS promote the balancing medium.