New to me Leyland Martian

How about having longer wheel studs made out of EN24T and then insert a 1" spacer ring to give the nec clearance.  I think that you would only need 40 studs.  It would be easy for someone with a capstan lathe, even with an ordinary lathe it would not be that difficult or time consuming, especially if a Coventry die head was available.  Those big tyres do look great!

John

Hi John that is interesting. The only concern I would have is that after I fitted spacers to my mini when I was 18 and the bearing collapsed I have always kept away from them .However there must be a calculation I could do to look at the extra load on the hub bearings, it may be that the over engineered vehicle won’t be a problem

thanks again

steve

Steve,

If you think about it, the extra load on the bearings is no more than that would be caused by using a different off-set of the centre.  Also your point about over-engineering is very valid. The key point would be to use a material for the extended stud that is at least as good as the original.  There will be an "FV" drawing for it, if you or a contact could access it.  

Macready's USEN 24T is supplied hardened and tempered to 850 to 1000 newtons per Sq mm, 55 to 65 tons per sq in.  The material is readily machinable and can be put into service without further heat treatment according to their catalogue.  

Full ref of the material is BS 970: 1955: EN 24T.  Another ref is BS 970: Part 3: 1991: 817M40 but I don't know what heat treatment condition that reference provides for.

As it happens, I use Acton Bright Steel for my bar materials.

Out of curiosity, what do they weigh on the weighbridge?

John

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Quadman42 said:

Interesting that the early bottoms were not concave , which in case of fire causes them to go straight up and not explode…apparently 

I've never heard that theory before but either scenario could not end well.

Was Martian the only post war recovery to carry a hot spanner?

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, radiomike7 said:

I've never heard that theory before but either scenario could not end well.

Was Martian the only post war recovery to carry a hot spanner?

Do you know, I cannot remember if either the Explorer or the AEC carried a gas axe.  The Conqueror ARV certainly is fitted for gas bottles.  I think the Cent ARV did but I cannot remember because it is two years since I opened the REME Cent's lockers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, attleej said:

Do you know, I cannot remember if either the Explorer or the AEC carried a gas axe.  The Conqueror ARV certainly is fitted for gas bottles.  I think the Cent ARV did but I cannot remember because it is two years since I opened the REME Cent's lockers!

Definitely not Explorer and I cannot recall seeing them on AECs or Fodens.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

A while since an update on my Martian, still doing a few small jobs to keep on top of things, engine had a service too.
Series 2 Landrover wiper blades fit a treat.
Last weekend was a trip out to The Kelsall Steam Rally in Cheshire. 
Fuel stop and about a 20 Mile trip each way.

A good day out to be honest and a lot of interest shown. 
Chris. 
20DE32C1-9169-4440-9334-184C06779C80.thumb.jpeg.9d39eab74e1c561b6c2135af8e2cfd36.jpegFB01F17A-31B8-4145-BC5D-2D43B614DD78.thumb.jpeg.92d39bed4747c837fbc07ca90dd88560.jpegFCFDE8E5-E130-4160-BD9B-21F2D2316C51.thumb.jpeg.2918abbe31bf3ec5b8b471fbb2cbe8aa.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Martian update ! 
One of the jobs I have been putting off was getting the seats sorted out. 
Overall the cab interior is quite good, it was let down by the ripped seat covers and also the chunks of hard sponge that kept disintegrating. 
Have had them recovered using all the original plywood backs and bases as these were in very good order. 
Also Coronation Day road run to try out the seats. 
Cheers Chris.

2D9E2672-E0D4-49F8-8125-5599A446BF5C.jpeg

00AE5DCB-C68C-42E4-8C17-1127AE2445A1.jpeg

027B0384-D8A9-4251-9FFC-6A8BEAD995D9.jpeg

ED49F44F-CDCA-420B-BCB9-2CE8E177ECE5.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...