I can't read this ?

R Cubed

Question

Heating water for washing etc. UK forces use them as well so there's bound to be a manual on it somewhere. I've lit a few and they do heat up quite quickly, but if you get it wrong, they catch fire quite quickly as well :-D

Nige

Worry not my soggy/steaming/slowly drying friend :tup:

We have the exact same model. and when we bought ours we also had a fellow exhibitor of the same nationality as the heater :-D

Just let me have my breckie and 2nd cup of tea and full op instructions will follow :cofee: - and himself will be able to put in his words of wisdom too.

Grand purchase sir - I persuaded HF to buy one of these fine contraptions three years ago and I think we should enter it at shows as an exhibit in its own right because of the attention it gets.

Any way will get back to you in a mo :-D

Worry not my soggy/steaming/slowly drying friend :tup:

We have the exact same model. and when we bought ours we also had a fellow exhibitor of the same nationality as the heater :-D

Just let me have my breckie and 2nd cup of tea and full op instructions will follow :cofee: - and himself will be able to put in his words of wisdom too.

Grand purchase sir - I persuaded HF to buy one of these fine contraptions three years ago and I think we should enter it at shows as an exhibit in its own right because of the attention it gets.

Any way will get back to you in a mo :-D

Thank you Mrs HF, R Cubed has gone to work now but I am about so when you have eaten your breakfast and had a cuppa I will await your reply (I have had my shreddies and am on 2nd cuppa, a hazard of having small people who dont understand the meaning of 'its the summer holiday so there is no need to get up at 6.30am' :oops:)

If it was a beautifully sunny day it would not be so bad Io be woken so early but on a rainy day like this - not so good.

Because of the rain the long trot down to the workshop to look at our water heater is not so inticing so if its all the same to you I will wait and see if the rain eases off and then go down.

The 2 most important instructions are-

1. Let someone else light it

2. STAND WELL BACK

sounds more scary than it is but I always let himself do the lighting :naughty: - dripping petrol, naked flames :shake: Having managed petrol stations for many years the combination of these two does make me a little jumpy.

I think they are a wonderfull thing - heating water when camping is such a pain - and one of these makes it easy. Granted the waters not good enough to cook in or make tea with but for washing body's and greasy dishes its fantastic. With the addition of a small submersable pump and a length of hose pipe you can have running hot water shower - how good is that :clap:

If it was a beautifully sunny day it would not be so bad Io be woken so early but on a rainy day like this - not so good.

Because of the rain the long trot down to the workshop to look at our water heater is not so inticing so if its all the same to you I will wait and see if the rain eases off and then go down.

The 2 most important instructions are-

1. Let someone else light it

2. STAND WELL BACK

sounds more scary than it is but I always let himself do the lighting :naughty: - dripping petrol, naked flames :shake: Having managed petrol stations for many years the combination of these two does make me a little jumpy.

I think they are a wonderfull thing - heating water when camping is such a pain - and one of these makes it easy. Granted the waters not good enough to cook in or make tea with but for washing body's and greasy dishes its fantastic. With the addition of a small submersable pump and a length of hose pipe you can have running hot water shower - how good is that :clap:

I dont blame you for not wanting to go out in the rain at all, there is no hurry anyway and you are very kind in offering to help out :-)

They certainly sound scary things however and am wondering how safe they will be with our 2 munchkins around? (5 and 7 yrs) although the thought of a hot shower almost out weighs this fear! :whistle:

Right off to the local shops for supplies then onto a birthday party.

Thanks once again for the offer of help (what a fab forum eh?)

Rosemary x

ps are the HFs coming to Upottery?

Well I have just come in from risking life and limb by trying to light the beast and after a bit of messing about got it to go, all I have to say is that running it on diesel its a bit smokey but god it rearly does heat the water up, I filled the bin full and after about 1 hr it was at the point of constant bubbles out of the water, so next step is to try parrafin to see if I can reduce the smoke, if I can work out how to pump the water we will have the HMVF mobile shower unit ;-) and we might even have a radiator in the tent to dry stuff, in this weather we will need it

:schocked:

Alternatley we will have three people in pointy hats brewing up bat soup. :-D Let's put a curse on 10 Downing Street and all those treehuggers. ;-)

:what: :nono:....................nuttin wrong with being a treehugger,.......... :whistle:

Sorry for the delay in the reply - looks like you've sussed it.

We tried :-

Diesel - Smokey and black cack over everything, reasonable heat.

Parafin - OK bit smelly and not much heat.

Petrol - good heat but you need nerves of steel.

Mix of parafin and petrol - 50/50 mix. - That will be the one then. Produces good heat, a clean flu as not smokey and not so volatile as neat petrol. Much safer to the point that even I will have a go at lighting it with this fuel.

Always use the flue pipes as this makes it work and draw.

Some lads at Buckfast had a water heater of similar design. They only had one short section of flu pipe and the thing just would not work right - HF got them to add another section of pipe, adjusted the fuel feed to a slow drip and presto.

Rosemary don't be put off by some of the comments about safety. If you use common sense there should be no problem.

A small submersable pump powered by a 12v battery or similar willpump the water straight from the bin to your shower, or you can do as we do and use a hozelock 5 litre pump up garden spray - no power needed and you can mix the water to the chosen temp. Ahhh loverly :-D

Thanks for the advice, might try Petrol and diesel ?? that might be a good combination or might try the petrol paraffin one we shall see, stay tuned for the loss of eye brows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant believe how quick it heats the water up and so much of it as well...

Looks like I have made a good buy.

Could bring it to uppottery look out for the stinky smokey tent but loads of hot water.....

Operating instructions:

1. Assemble the heater in the with water filled dishwashingtank or watertank with the 2 chimney parts and the chimney hat on the trailer.

2. Open the airvent on the gasoline tank

3. Light a in gasoline drenched lighter and put it on the burner

4. Open the fuel tap so that a regular flow of drops falls on the burner

5. Remove the torch when the bruner is burning

6. Open the hatch in the chimney and place the burning torch in the chimney untill the flame of the burner is sucked down.

7. Close the hatch on the tap

Warning

If, after 5 minutes, the chimney still is smoking: alter fuel flow until it no longer smokes.

I do hope it makes sence...