WC52 Engine Problems

Tony Pearson

If the Carb is suspected than maybe you can lend a Carb from a good running WC.

If it runs OK on the loaned one you'll know yyour Crb is the cause.

Offcourse you can have more than 1 thing causing the problems.

For instance a elactrical as well as fuel problem.

Process off elimination;

Is there fuel in the tank

Try it without the cap on the fueltank (vacuum formed in fueltank)

Is fuel getting to the carb (use handprimer)

Is the fuel old or contaminated? (sitting in the fueltank too long)

Check the fuelfilter (mine was full of muck).

Are the correct type sparkplugs used. (my brothers Jeep ran bad in winter, wrong plugs).

Did you test the condernser (new but could still be broken)

How about the coil and points

Plugleads OK?

Rotor in ignition OK?

Ignitioncap cracked?

Are the exhaust/inlet manifolds OK (look and listen for leaks).

Geeting worse

had carb stripped down and refitted it told there seems to be nothing wrong with it. went to start and after a few turn an almighty band a backfire. plugs are now wet timing is right spark, just dint know now. Think i need to get it to a doctor out of my league now. dose anyone know a good mechanic around my area who would come and have a look for me as i am lost

Cheers tony

Tony,

I think you are right in electing to refer your problems to a mechanical doctor.

However, a backfire through the carby suggests strongly to me that the timing is well out. I would also have another look at the firing order.

Sorry we've been of so little help.

Jack

P.S. I'd be very interested to know what the diagnosis/remedy is.

Hi Tony,

I may have missed this in the threads but have you tried the fuel pump. I have a WC63 and we have had trouble starting it, it looks to us as our fuel pump is at fault but at the moment i haven't had time to take it off and check it over. It was suggested to replace it with a 6 volt electric pump but fuel pumps are still available.

It might be worth getting a can off petrol and gravity feeding it to the carb, might be worth a shot.

Geeting worse

had carb stripped down and refitted it told there seems to be nothing wrong with it. went to start and after a few turn an almighty band a backfire. plugs are now wet timing is right spark, just dint know now. Think i need to get it to a doctor out of my league now. dose anyone know a good mechanic around my area who would come and have a look for me as i am lost

Cheers tony

Tony where are you? I think you have a stuck acelerator pump needle.

Tony

Good to hear, Tony.

Plugs, eh................... >:(

My MW, was a similar story,...............replaced just about EVERYTHING ignition wise,.....nothing. .............even towed around yard,............nothing.

one plug removed and a long reach screwed 1/4 way in(short reach normal).........pulled started,..............BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:

6 new plugs later,..................WHAYYYYYYYYYYYy :-D :-D :-D

As you so rightly say,...........'start simple'............and to that I'll add, get someone who has NOT been involved with whats been tried before to have a look: can be a case of definetly being too close, not seeing what maybe's obvious. :roll: