WC52 Engine Problems

Tony Pearson

>:( >:( Dont know if anyone can help i have a WC52 and its has not been running right from day one so i have stripped it downas i was told head gaskets was bad. Built it all back up again and now it runs worse than before. It smokes like a large green smoke machine and misses all the time. i am a bit out of my depth now dose anyone know anyone who may be able to repair her for me.

Any help would be greatly recived

Hi Tony,

You might want to look at the dedicated WW2 Dodge site

http://forum.ww2dodge.com/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=b7b723e9dd2c643d941fb68e611bda12

There's quite a bit of detail there.

I've got my WC 52/55 motor out at the moment - it had a collapsed piston. I've had it rebored/ crank re-ground and am fitting new pistons (+.020), rings, big end and main bearings etc. It'll go back into the vehicle shortly.

Can you provide a little more detail on your problem and what has been done to the engine that might contribute to your difficulties ? It's a little hard to make any sort of intelligent diagnosis at the moment.

Jack

Sorry maybe did not put much information on as i should im in south yorkshire/lincolnshire area. What have done so far well replaced all electrics eg distributor cap points etc new leads plugs, rebuilt carb, replaced all gaskets eg head gasket exhaust inlet etc. ran head gasket leak test came back fine. Basicly its runs rough and throws out a lot of white smoke going grey when you rev it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks tony

... ran head gasket leak test came back fine. Basicly its runs rough and throws out a lot of white smoke going grey when you rev it.

Tony,

White (tending blue) smoke makes me think that your rings may not be the best. Have you done a compression test - apart from your 'head gasket leak test' ?

As said above /\ it may be old fuel. Have you checked your inlet/exhaust valve gaps ? The missing could also be due to a burnt valve, but a compression test should narrow that down.

I know how frustrating these things can be but keep at it and we'll find the problem.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

What does the smoke smell off??

White smoke can also be coolant. Is either the rad pressurizing or are you gettiting contamination in the oil to indicate the two are mixing somewhere???

Alternatively - as Paul found out with his Pig at Beltring - it can also be an indication of brake fluid getting in via a duff servo.......

• 2 weeks later...

Right got a bit more on testing out some of your ideas but thing get stanger. ran a compresion test and all coming out between 8-9 Bar which is ok buy my manual. checked spark again and got a good spark but now wont fire up at all and now seems not to be getting nay fuel i have stripped doen the carb but all seems fine no sticking float or anything. What i habe found now that after turning it over for a while that there is fuel coming out of the pipe that goes from the inlet manifold to th block ( no idea what this dose). Any more suggestions would be greatly taken dont know if to try a new carb. :? :? :? :?

That pipe is the crankcase breather pipe, ... Just a thought have you checked the oil level, is it overfilled?... had this with a Jeep recently that blew out clouds of smoke, the level was several inches too high with oilly petrol owing to a faulty fuel pump diaphragm leaking petrol into the sump, it was then being sucked through the crankcase breather into the inlet manifold !!

Surprisingly, I don't have a pipe coming out of the bottom of my inlet manifold and making its way to the crankcase breather. Wonder why not ? The only pipe going anywhere from my manifolds, is the one to the vacuum wipers. My sump breathes through the oil filler tube. Sorry, I can't put up a pic as my motor is still out - should go back in tomorrow.

Anyway, I suspect that if you have fuel dribbling out of this pipe , your carby is flooding, or at the very least, providing too rich a mixture to the cylinders.

Jack

Tony,

Unless the problem is something really unexpected, like one of your newly installed parts being unserviceable, it seems to me that the carby must be at fault somewhere. As you say, take it off and disassemble, blow out all orifices wih compressed air and try to divine how that particular carby works, so you can identify any blockages.

If fuel was leaking out of the inlet manifold tube when you turned the motor over, were the plugs wet as well ? In other words, was fuel getting to the combustion chamber ?

It sounds like you have a problem with your carb which is your fuel to engine problem check float levels and as mentioned clean completely,also check the float valve for sticking either way open or shut.You can always fire your engine up if you remove the air filter and pour a little fuel into the carb if it's a fuel starvation problem.

If you do pour some fuel down the carb Keep clear of carb when firing incase of a blow back,you wouldn't want a face full of burning fuel :shake:

Secondly you said your compression tests were o.k so you possibly have worn inlet valve guides,which would account for a large amount of smoke when you rev the engine.The suction on the inlet can sucks oil up the sides of the valves stems and into the cylinders.

It's not too bad to check/change them when you've got the head off.

hope you get it sorted

Regards

Steve