Giving up all hope on CVRT's

Norbo

Well im starting to give up hope of getting CVRT .

The first one i went to look at was rough as anything needing a l ot of work rough diesel sounding motor and back firing and very scabby But believe it or not just what im looking for as i want to put my own stamp on it any way . But my mistake really when asking what he would take for it not the asking price but what he actually wanted saying ok ill have to see if my friend who owes me money has all of it or some of it and id like to listen to a few more to see if the motor is as bad as it really sounds, This being the first 1 i have heard .

So i go away see what money i actually have and get back to him with every penny i have that fell short of what he was asking by a grand or so , he was annoyed at me making an ofer less then what he told me he would take . But a couple of weeks later made a counter offer but i didn’t have the money so i had to advertise my bike and sell that , when it was sold i got back to him and said ok ill give you that , and then he got back to me saying well ive had a think and now i want £1500 more thats the price i said i wanted at my house and im sticking to it so now i don’t have my bike and no tank. My falt not making i t clear i was just looking for a price but if i don’t have the money i don’t have the money so that one fell apart .

went to look at another while i was selling my bike and that had a sweet motor purred like a kitten sounded real smooth and in better condition but again was the same as the new price on the first one so just out of my price range would have been the better of 2 if i had the extra money ,but i dont so thats a no go ether .

went to look at one of Andys again sounded sweet as a nut excellent motor but not for sale just went for a look and advice really but now i know what a good one should sound like .

3ed one looks like a sweet tank being restored by a member nice bloke and done a lot on it but again its right on what i have literally no money to even get it back to my house or finish the restoration . If it was local id go have a look but its along way away when i know i don’t have the extra cash to do anything with it. Its a scimitar not a saber and i prefer the look of the saber bins and machine gun don’t get me wrong id have ether but choice 1 is saber.

There was a bloke i talked to who is asking about for me but not header from him in 2 weeks so its not looking good .

Just dont seem to be a lot about right now. I can see this dragging on and winter will set in and ill just give up and wont ever get one .

all the ones ive seen that i can afford are the abbots i put up a couple of links to them ive seen for sale but on advice and having talked to some people they are just to big heavy and dont turn on the spot like the cvrt's do and for a first tank the cvrt's are the best and

Don't give up, mate, but you might need to adjust your expectations and timelines. If you want a good one at a cheap price, you'll need to sit back and wait for the right one to come up; that's what I did with my Ferret, but it did take almost 10 years... A similar thing happened with the Saracen, looking for about 4 years and then the right one came along at a very good price.

If you want a cheap one, you'll need to settle for something that needs work and, to be honest, will cost you more in the long run. Your best bet would be to keep saving and then buy the best that you can find, if transport is an issue, you'll need to save for that too.

Owning armour is fantastic though. It's like being a kid on Christmas day, only all the time :D

Cheers,

Terry

If you have to stretch that much to make the initial purchase, it's not time.

No mater how nice it is, there is likely something that will break or not go as it should and it's gonna cost you a couple extra grand. So wait until you've got a cushion so you don't wind up broken down and unable to afford a recovery and spares, you'll sleep better at night.

No mater how nice it is, there is likely something that will break or not go as it should and it's gonna cost you a couple extra grand. So wait until you've got a cushion so you don't wind up broken down and unable to afford a recovery and spares, you'll sleep better at night.

Very wise words that I agree with , have saved what you intend to spend , so when you do find what you are looking for you can shake hands and put down a deposit on the spot.

well good advice but that is what im doing . im looking at spending the max i have to get the best i can so save on hassle in the long run. i did offer the first bloke a price that would have left me after the sale of my b ike with some extra cash as well as a cushion . but he would not except / then when i used that cushion to spend again the max i had just for the perchance and agree to the price he was now asking that i agreed to . he change his mined and put it up £1500 so now the cushion was not enough again.

There is no such thing as a cheep one no matter how long you look but you just have to look at what you can get for the money you have we are talking about a 20K vehicle hear at the end of the day.

I wonder how many are in private hands in Australia and if they were interested in selling one. I think a CVRT could be my next piece of Armour. Does anyone know what 8 tonnes of tracked vehicle would be to import to Aust?

OZITIM

I wonder how many are in private hands in Australia and if they were interested in selling one. I think a CVRT could be my next piece of Armour. Does anyone know what 8 tonnes of tracked vehicle would be to import to Aust?

OZITIM

There is a Sabre in Tasmania and a Striker near Sydney. Cannot think of any others at present, but a very nice Abbott SPG is for sale in WA at the moment.

Yes i have looked on the 2 links regular but im looking for a tank with a gun not an armored vehicle like the spartan they are cool but its not what i told my son i would get for the years we have left. sabre or simitar is what im looking at

Edited by Norbo

Old mate wants $85k AUd for it. Thats fairly top heavy, I would have thought. Thats about 42 thou brit pounds.

There is a Sabre in Tasmania and a Striker near Sydney. Cannot think of any others at present, but a very nice Abbott SPG is for sale in WA at the moment.

The Spartan has a lot going for it apart from cost, you can fit a GPMG, it's not a Rareden cannon, but it is a gun, easier to work on that a Scorpion, Scimitar or Sabre and has a lot more room.

You need to factor in not just the vehicle cost but fuel, insurance, recovery, spare parts, oil, filters as well as spares availability, and of course if you need a licence to drive a tracked vehicle the cost, if you do not already have one, of that. The other little issue often overlooked is of physically getting into and out of a CVRT, which for some people is impossible.

Diana

Yes i have looked on the 2 links regular but im looking for a tank with a gin not an armored vehicle like the spartan they are cool but its not what i told my son i would get for the years we have left. sabre or simitar is what im looking at

Andy at the Avis farm has all the spares i will ever need ive been to his place and he has everything and i mean everything its all he does all day long like me and Yamaha RZ350 parts thats what i do for a living sell parts for this 1 type of bike he is the same for CVRT's and like me he has just about everything 100 times over so that s not a worry.

Insurance often has a vehicle breakdown pick up service, AA or RAC all so do a breakdown pick up service to get you bacl home. Just like if a big tractor or HGV breaks down they have to get them back and all you need for this is a 12T beaver tail truck but that's up to them to sort out.

Yes i need a H license to drive but they are just £70 and they come to your house to test you . The farmer across the road says i can have the use of his fields to drive about on all i think from Oct onward to get used to driving it.

Insurance is less then for my van around £200 to £300 depending were you ask .

I am 6ft and yes if the seat is up and view pice is fitted i cant get in but if the seat is down i can and if the viewer is out its even better. But basically seat down and im in. I have been in about 4 at Andys and the 2 ive been to look at 2 both of witch i sat in .

I dont burn money in smoking and i dont drink so i feel any extra cash i have at the end of the week can go in fuel right i used to put it in my bike that did 20MPG thrashing about as its a tuned 2 stroke with big carbs ., i may not get the sames miles in but i will enjoy the trip every bit at much in a CVRT . Its just i had hoped to have one by now so i could get used to driving it get my test passed then get it to andys for a part strip and clean down over the winter for next year.

Yes i have looked on the 2 links regular but im looking for a tank with a gun not an armored vehicle like the spartan they are cool but its not what i told my son i would get for the years we have left. sabre or simitar is what im looking at

If you get a Spartan with the Milan turret it looks pretty cool but I can understand wanting, as a friend calls it, the spinny bit. :-)

I know of a Falklands Sabre in the USA that needs total restoration for ~$40000USD.

When I was looking a year or two ago, all the nice Scorpion/Sabre/Scimitar types I saw started around £21500 with total wrecks for a bit less than half that.

If it makes you feel any better, in the USA people are asking a lot more so you can think of 22K as a real bargain:

http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

Well in the uk they are a lot more common and are no were near that price . but they are still hard to fine. If i dont get one before snow fall , i'll just call it a day and think no more about it . shame but i cant keep living in hope the hours ive put in to finding something is ridicules and i just dont have the time to keep keep looking

Old mate wants $85k AUd for it. Thats fairly top heavy, I would have thought. Thats about 42 thou brit pounds.

He has advertised it now at $75,000. As he had to ship it from the UK, that has to be taken into consideration so will always be higher than UK prices, this will be same for other vehicles shipped out.

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Pavl 1000% -- if you break down, the recovery guys are sharks and they charge storage fees. If you have to hunt for cash and can't remove it immediately, you might never be able to catch the train. Best case, it will break down and will sit until you have the funds to fix it, worst case, you will forfeit it to storage/recovery fees.

If you are still desperate to get something, look at various Withams auctions. I hate that company -- they are awful to deal with -- but they sometimes have beaters for sale and if you want a project, this may be a viable option.