What happened to all the Humber Scout Cars?

ajmac

All in all the HSC is a rare machine. I would love to restore one, but they just don't turn up! What happened to them in the post war period? Was there any particular country that received them as aid, or purchased a good number? I'm trying to think of places to look. Not that the Loyd is finished yet.... But the next project needs to have wheels and have been used by the British during wartime.

Dingo's and DAC's have survived in fairly large numbers because they remained in service until the 1960's when the preservation movement was starting. The same goes for other British war-time vehicles such as Bedfords and Leyland Hippo's.

Anything which was not selected to serve post-war disappeared at an early stage and the vast majority were scrapped. There is a reason for anything which has survived in substantial numbers. Unfortunately Humber Scouts are not amongst these.

Thanks for all the contributions to the thread. I read that a number of Humber Scouts were put on UK ranges, did anyone photograph any of them 'back in the day'? I know a chap who is working on three or four that were wrecks but I don't remember where the wrecks were sourced from.

there are quite a number around and a lot not restored yet ( know of 4 at least) we will see more of them in the future i am sure. Also because wheel armour makes more sense than tracked ones to own. The real difficult bits are the radiator, water pump and PLM parts

Thanks for all the contributions to the thread. I read that a number of Humber Scouts were put on UK ranges, did anyone photograph any of them 'back in the day'? I know a chap who is working on three or four that were wrecks but I don't remember where the wrecks were sourced from.

Most Range Photography dates back to the 1980's at the earliest. The Humber's would have been battered to scrap on UK ranges long before this.

Most Range Photography dates back to the 1980's at the earliest. The Humber's would have been battered to scrap on UK ranges long before this.

The key to range restorations is finding ones that were off the firing lines or used as markers, however I've never seen any evidence that scouts were put out on ranges. To be honest I wouldn't want to go down that route anyway, not again. Mainland Europe seems to be where to look.