M35 a2

Big Al

Well, I'm in the states so my experience will differ in some respects.

For a military truck they are durable and reliable. That first bit is a critical caveat, I can not stress how much more maintenance- heavy and unreliable they are compared to almost anything civilian made. Although that assumes US and Japanese vehicles... of course you lads have to contend with Lucas electric systems so that might help even the odds.

Just remember the M35 was first built during the early 1950s so a lot of the metallurgy and technology dates from that era.

I did own a 1952 M35 (gas engine) and used it as a daily-driver for almost 2 years with no real trouble (apart from the 4MPG).

Lots of these trucks are in private hands so many of the trouble spots have fixes and there are some nice upgrades (spin-on oil fliters come to mind, oh, and the transmission overdrive)

Parts are readily available.

The multifuel engine is pretty good and will run on about anything burnable including waste oil if you don't mind the increased wear on the injectors (see point 1)

The A2 gearbox is a good one and the electrical system is solid, the turbo is trouble free.

I don't remember about the transfer case, the early deuce used a sprag clutch which WILL grenade if you reverse with it engaged but they might have ditched that by the A2.

Oh, right, power steering is available as a kit but otherwise it's all you. I think its something like 14 turns lock-to-lock and it's a lousy turning ratio at that so eat your Wheatabix in the morning.

The scary part is the brake system, these trucks use an air over hydraulic system and it's a single circuit system so a loss of fluid or airpack failure will result in TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE. Oh, you can use the parking brake (driveline drum) but it's not much help.

Expect a few honest hours a month of basic service and you should be OK.

I'd suggest going to "steelsoldiers.com" for the full scoop.

Ongoing problems are minor:

Leaking real axle seal

Front CV boot constantly tearing unless you buy some really expensive neoprene ones

Ground going bad... so many bad grounds.

Oil filters are a minor pain... inverted design means leaks if not done properly.

Ether assist is a god send... but new ether tanks can be spendy.

Axle breathers clogging up and blowing out axle seals

My 67 M35a2 was great fun. But you need next level tools.. even to change tires. Tires (in the US) are cheap and readily found. My biggest fear was a breakdown. Towing it home would cost thousands over any distance. Parts are available and plentiful... lots of mods.